Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 29 of 32 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32
Thread Options
#1882572 - 01/02/14 07:22 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Sound Tactic
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: rED Herring
Originally Posted By: Out to Lunch
Baylor doesn't get half of the PI calls last night if they weren't coached to grab. You can say that it was the officiating if you want but when the PI calls were on 2 or 3 different DBs, all using the same technique that is coaching as much as poor officiating.

Depending on when where and how, grabbing and PI are two different things.

Well in last nights game, the grabbing was called PI. It was obviously a technique taught and the officials called it PI. Defensive Holding was called once or twice when the ball was not yet in the air as well. Regardless, Baylor was penalized because of a technique used by all of their DBs, whether or not you believe it should be considered a penalty or not.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1882579 - 01/02/14 07:28 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Baylor was the victim a couple times that i saw of blatant pass interference by UCF's DBs that wasn't called. There needs to be more consistency in those calls.

Return to Top
#1882582 - 01/02/14 07:31 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge raitchjay
Peepers Offline
10K Club
it's all subjective

Return to Top
#1882583 - 01/02/14 07:33 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Katy Auditor
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: rED Herring
Baylor doesn't get half of the PI calls last night if they weren't coached to grab. You can say that it was the officiating if you want but when the PI calls were on 2 or 3 different DBs, all using the same technique that is coaching as much as poor officiating.

Depending on when where and how, grabbing and PI are two different things.

Well in last nights game, the grabbing was called PI. It was obviously a technique taught and the officials called it PI. Defensive Holding was called once or twice when the ball was not yet in the air as well. Regardless, Baylor was penalized because of a technique used by all of their DBs, whether or not you believe it should be considered a penalty or not.

I saw 2 PI's called against Baylor. Forgive me but I did not watch the whole game. I don't like any teams that cannot tackle or play any semblance of defense. One PI should have been called, the other was ridiculous. The DB held his ground while the WR tried to go through him. Since the WR was not permitted to go right to the ball without having to go through the DB, it was called PI.

Why even have a DB. Since when does the DB have no right to the ball or his spot on the field. He didnt take the UCF guy down, but the UCF guy did make sure he threw himself to the turf. It was just terrible. This is not football, this is basketball.

Return to Top
#1882585 - 01/02/14 07:35 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge raitchjay
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Baylor was the victim a couple times that i saw of blatant pass interference by UCF's DBs that wasn't called. There needs to be more consistency in those calls.

I don't disagree that it needs to be more consistent, but you will get more benefit of the doubt for incidental contact or a no call when you don't have a handful of jersey.

Return to Top
#1882587 - 01/02/14 07:38 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
The other thing to consider is the officiating crews are from different leagues. This was an SEC officiating crew, maybe the Big 12 officiating crews allowed the grabbing and didn't call the penalty. Who knows, there was a significant discrepancy in number of penalties though.

Return to Top
#1882590 - 01/02/14 07:41 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I just wish it wasn't so subjective. When in the same game a ticky-tack PI is called and a mugging isn't, it gets really annoying.

Return to Top
#1882595 - 01/02/14 07:44 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Baylor is the most penalized team out there.

And by the way rED, I thought the Aggies won.

Return to Top
#1882596 - 01/02/14 07:46 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
If you listen to the gushers at ESPN talk, you'd think TAM beat Florida State. They were life and death to beat the mighty Blue Devils of Duke, a team they were favored by double digits over. smile

Return to Top
#1882599 - 01/02/14 07:48 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Johnny Football haters, they are legion.....

Return to Top
#1882602 - 01/02/14 07:50 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
They don't reside at ESPN......the Duke QB played every bit as well as Manziel, but no gushing from them about him.

Return to Top
#1882607 - 01/02/14 08:00 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge raitchjay
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
If you listen to the gushers at ESPN talk, you'd think TAM beat Florida State. They were life and death to beat the mighty Blue Devils of Duke, a team they were favored by double digits over. smile

Yes. I thought ATM looked pretty bad. Basically without Johnny Failball, they are probably at sub .500 team. They have no defense (probably normal for Texas teams based on the bowl games) and lack physicality.

What got me the most was they gave up record yardage to Duke. Duke! This is not basketball, this is Duke. Don't get me wrong, this Duke team was better than any Duke teams I have ever seen, but it is still Duke.

Return to Top
#1882610 - 01/02/14 08:01 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Pale Rider
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Johnny Football haters, they are legion.....

Yes, it is comprised of those who think objectively. It is also, most of America. Johnny brought it on himself.

Return to Top
#1882795 - 01/03/14 02:13 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Sound Tactic
Peepers Offline
10K Club
ha, ha nice going Alabama

Return to Top
#1882805 - 01/03/14 02:18 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
They didn't want to be there Peepers. They weren't motivated, and neither was Georgia, but luckily the rest have been.
Last edited by Out to Lunch; 01/03/14 02:19 PM.

Return to Top
#1882809 - 01/03/14 02:26 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Katy Auditor
Peepers Offline
10K Club
too bad for them

Return to Top
#1882812 - 01/03/14 02:31 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Katy Auditor
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
They didn't want to be there Peepers. They weren't motivated, and neither was Georgia, but luckily the rest have been.

I have to disagree. Georgia put in the effort. They just were not at 100%.

Bama was just outcoached and their players clearly were not prepared. The O-line brothers were manhandled all night and OU executed the perfect game plan offensively. Bama has problems with mobile QBs and teams who can get the ball outside. Ha-Ha and McCarron played with everything they had. The O-line just had no answer for Striker and Grissom. Bama had shown this weakness all year. aTm and AU showed OU what they needed to do offensively to win and OU paid attention. If aTm had any defense they would have beaten Bama.

Very solid game by OU and a victory to be proud of.

Return to Top
#1882814 - 01/03/14 02:32 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
And for the record, last night was the ONLY time in my life I have ever actively pulled for Bama. I learned my lesson.

Return to Top
#1882819 - 01/03/14 02:41 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Need Coffee
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Need Coffee

I have to disagree. Georgia put in the effort. They just were not at 100%.

Bama was just outcoached and their players clearly were not prepared. The O-line brothers were manhandled all night and OU executed the perfect game plan offensively. Bama has problems with mobile QBs and teams who can get the ball outside. Ha-Ha and McCarron played with everything they had. The O-line just had no answer for Striker and Grissom. Bama had shown this weakness all year. aTm and AU showed OU what they needed to do offensively to win and OU paid attention. If aTm had any defense they would have beaten Bama.

Very solid game by OU and a victory to be proud of.

Nebraska was not 100% either so the excuse is a little lame. Nebraska was missing their #1 QB, and their #1 offensive lineman. They got limited play from their #2 receiver as he has been hurt all year with a hamstring injury. Their D Line consisted of Thad Randal who is pretty much hurt drinking water and was hurt 3 times in the game, yet he continued. Their 2nd string QB, Tommy Armstrong was playing with a sprained ankle. Ed Cunningham (the announcer) conveniently left all of this information out.

To compound things, Nebraska was playing with 4 Freshman starting on defense and one D Line spot that had no backup. On offense, their starting RB had been injured all year because he is the only one who takes snaps.

Georgia was certainly beat up. So was Nebraska. The difference to me was that the field conditions were not condusive to a rushing attack (for either team). Nebraska had some luck on their side in the win, but also deserved it.

Oklahoma beat Alabama. No bones about it. Alabama's defense got butchered last night. Duke outplayed ATM. Yes Duke. LSU and South Carolina beat crummy B1G opponents by a combined..... 17 points. The SEC has been higher ranked or favored in every game. The fact is that the SEC is not living up to their superiority this week. The bowl games have been hard to guess but my thought are that Free Shoes should beat up Auburn.

Return to Top
#1882823 - 01/03/14 02:50 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
It was a joke. That is always the excuse for SEC fan when they lose the Sugar Bowl.

Return to Top
#1882837 - 01/03/14 03:11 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Katy Auditor
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
It was a joke. That is always the excuse for SEC fan when they lose the Sugar Bowl.

Well I wasn't able to catch much of the game but for the life of me I swear that every time Nebraska made a good play it was because Georgia was injured, not because Nebraska was any good. It was annoying.

During the Stanford/MSU game Herbstriet made a call on a first down from the Stanford back. It was Stanfords third down back and he made a good open field move to get a first down. Herbstriet claimed that the MSU was not used to seeing backs who could move like that because the B1G does not have dynamic running backs like that.

Unfortunately 2 of the All American 3 deep running backs are B1G and I would say that the Stanford guy would have been no better than 6th best in the B1G behind Hyde, Adullah, Mark, Gordon, White, and Langdon.
Last edited by rED Herring; 01/03/14 03:14 PM.

Return to Top
#1882838 - 01/03/14 03:12 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
I wasn't making an excuse. Merely pointing out they played hard so the loss was not due to them being unmotivated. They didn't play good enough to win and Nebraska did.

Return to Top
#1882841 - 01/03/14 03:15 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Need Coffee
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Need Coffee
I wasn't making an excuse. Merely pointing out they played hard so the loss was not due to them being unmotivated. They didn't play good enough to win and Nebraska did.

I think Georgia should have won, but didn't.

Return to Top
#1882844 - 01/03/14 03:17 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I think this bowl season is proving an important point: it's about individual teams, not what conference you belong to. Every conference has had its up and down moments in the bowls which proves when it comes game time, it's just your team taking the field, not your entire conference.

Return to Top
#1882848 - 01/03/14 03:21 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
can't speak for the other SEC teams, but LSU's QB had played all of 1/2 game this season, true freshman that had to play when the starting QB tore his ACL in the final game.

Alabama was outplayed, plain and simple, didn't appear to me they weren't trying or didn't want to be there.

A&M struggled but came through.

I don't know any team that gets to this point of the season that doesn't have injuries, missing players, players that are playing injured, aren't 100%, etc.

Return to Top
Page 29 of 32 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 32