Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 30 of 32 1 2 28 29 30 31 32
Thread Options
#1882859 - 01/03/14 03:29 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Didn't get to watch the game last night - don't have cable, but did follow the scores on line.... The better team is whoever plays the best in that game regardless. Last Night Oklahoma was the better team. Congrats to all my Sooner fans on your victory last night! Hopefully Bama will learn from the last 2 games they played and get ya next year!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1882869 - 01/03/14 03:45 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
I know we want to compare the different conferences, whose best and whose worst (conference). The bowl games, unless you are playing in the BCS Championship Game, is a party game. The players are not playing for a national championship, conference championship, state championship, etc. They are in New Orleans, Miami, Jacksonville, Tuscan, San Diego, etc., as a "Reward for winning 6 games".
That is the problem with comparing these games with anything that happened during the season, because during season they were competing to get to a bowl or win a conference championship.
We've all probably had friends and family play big time football and played in bowl games. Most will tell you the game was not the most important thing on their mind.

Return to Top
#1882872 - 01/03/14 03:47 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
If the game isn't the most important thing on your mind, then shame on you and your program. The game was the most important thing on OU's mind last night (and, it appeared to me, Bama's as well). I know your post didn't directly reference that game, just sayin.

Return to Top
#1882874 - 01/03/14 03:52 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I think bowl games are as valid, if not more, than any game that happens during the regular season. But i do agree that they are only valid in the context of the 2 teams playing, not trying to make a broader statement about conferences as a whole (which has gotten way carried away anyway...like i said, teams take the field 11 players at a time, not 110 or 154 players at a time).

Return to Top
#1882876 - 01/03/14 03:54 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Sound Tactic
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: rED Herring
Originally Posted By: Need Coffee
I wasn't making an excuse. Merely pointing out they played hard so the loss was not due to them being unmotivated. They didn't play good enough to win and Nebraska did.

I think Georgia should have won, but didn't.

I thought the Nebraska defense did a good job of not allowing Georgia into the end zone. Georgia had the ball deep in Nebraska territory probably 6 times and came away with field goals or nothing. Getting outgained 400 to 300 (where 99 of the 300 came on one play), is probably not a recipe for long term success, it worked Wednesday.

Nebraska had a problem with turnover ratio all year long, offense turned it over too much and defense didn't cause many turnovers. In this game, Nebraska was on the receiving end of a 2 huge mistakes, and took advantage of both. The 99 yd touchdown is a play that is great but probably not a play with a great success rate. But it only had to be successful this one time.

With that said, Nebraska got the win because they took advantage of Georgia's mistakes and limited their own.

Return to Top
#1882881 - 01/03/14 04:00 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge hgliii
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: hgliii
I know we want to compare the different conferences, whose best and whose worst (conference). The bowl games, unless you are playing in the BCS Championship Game, is a party game. The players are not playing for a national championship, conference championship, state championship, etc. They are in New Orleans, Miami, Jacksonville, Tuscan, San Diego, etc., as a "Reward for winning 6 games".
That is the problem with comparing these games with anything that happened during the season, because during season they were competing to get to a bowl or win a conference championship.
We've all probably had friends and family play big time football and played in bowl games. Most will tell you the game was not the most important thing on their mind.

So the SEC winning the last 7 BCS titles means nothing to the league, just the individual teams that won them right? I mean we won't hear Georgia, Tennessee, Vandy fan speaking with pride over the wins of others?

As far as you last paragraph, I think the comments will depend on if your team won or lost. If you lose, its a meaningless bowl game, if you win, its a springboard to the next year and the team used the practices like an additional spring season.

Return to Top
#1882884 - 01/03/14 04:01 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
If you want to talk about overcoming adversity, it would take two hands to count the number of players OU lost to injury this year. All 3 QBs suffered am injury either before or during the season and all three have had to play because of that. True freshman have been thrown into the game due to injury. But no one gave the Sooners a chance. All the media hype was on Alabama as being the best team in the nation and was only beaten on a fluke play that may not happen again for years and years. Heck, even I didn't think my Sooners had a chance. But someone forgot to tell the team that. They never gave up on themselves and showing what they can do. Sooner Magic? Maybe. But they beat Alabama fair and square last night. Now it's just fun to sit back and watch and listen as the sports media do their little backpedal dance!

BOOMER SOONER!

Return to Top
#1882885 - 01/03/14 04:03 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Oh and which coach and team has won all 4 BCS Bowls plus a National Championship? Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma Sooners!!!!!

Return to Top
#1882890 - 01/03/14 04:06 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Florida State and the ACC are good examples of what i'm talking about. I expect Florida State to roll in the title game (but hey, that's why they play the game, we'll see) and prove themselves as the best team in the country. And they come from what many would say is the weakest (or next weakest) conference in the country, the ACC. If you take FSU out of the equation, no one else in the ACC was even close to worthy of playing in the title game, but that doesn't mean FSU isn't far and away the best team in the country (they can prove or disprove it Monday night).

Return to Top
#1882897 - 01/03/14 04:14 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Need Coffee Offline
Need Coffee
Down South
Personally, I love the fact that nobody gives Auburn a chance. They haven't all year long, why start now?

Return to Top
#1882900 - 01/03/14 04:15 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I give Auburn a chance, but i just think FSU is better. But i understand the underdog thing.....more people give Auburn a chance against FSU than gave OU a chance against Bama. Heck, ESPN guys like Mark May were predicting "48-10" Alabama.

Return to Top
#1882901 - 01/03/14 04:15 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
I'm not trying to be argumentative and the teams that go for the most part deserve the reward. The teams want to do well and win the bowl games. That having been said, they are infact 18 to 22 year old college kids. The coaches try to control the activities, but not every minute. During the free time they have, they are not sitting in front of a TV screen watching game film. Granted some will but most will be out with their buddies and that is where they lose the focus.
If you talked to an Alabama fan (I am one), they would have told you that AL will be up for the game. They would still be upset from Auburn Game. They would tell you the team would not want to repeat the Utah of 5 years ago. Saban would remind them of that and what may happen, Blah, Blah, Blah. But the truth is not every player was paying attention to that, they were in New Orleans.
Last edited by hgliii; 01/03/14 04:21 PM. Reason: additional clarification
Return to Top
#1882911 - 01/03/14 04:18 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
All 3 BCS bowls, played so far, have been won by the underdogs.......FWIW

Return to Top
#1882955 - 01/03/14 04:54 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge hgliii
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
But the truth is not every player was paying attention to that, they were in New Orleans.

OU was in New Orleans too.

Return to Top
#1882985 - 01/03/14 05:19 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
The crowd in New Orleans was big time for OU. I mean, all you could see was crimson everywhere. laugh laugh laugh laugh

Return to Top
#1882993 - 01/03/14 05:35 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge raitchjay
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
But the truth is not every player was paying attention to that, they were in New Orleans.

grin grin grin

Return to Top
#1882994 - 01/03/14 05:39 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Queen Mum
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Originally Posted By: raitchjay

grin grin grin

I think it was just the team, cheerleaders and fans. Typically Universities do not up and move to another city. laugh laugh laugh

Return to Top
#1882996 - 01/03/14 05:40 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
wink

Return to Top
#1883057 - 01/03/14 07:48 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
RJay,
I agree that OU was there too and obviously the better team based on their play last night. They believed they had something to prove. I am not making excuses for AL, because the had 500 plus yards of offense. I think AL took OU for granted and expected OU to fold when AL walked on the field. OU blew them away.

Return to Top
#1883060 - 01/03/14 07:52 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Ok. FWIW, i've been reading some accounts of the game, nationally, locally, and even in the Alabama area and i will say i think the level of "domination" is being overstated a bit in the accounts i'm reading. It was a whale of a game and i wouldn't say OU "dominated" the proceedings. OU outplayed Bama, yes, but it was one of the best games i've ever watched and the outcome was still in doubt with a minute to go. Perhaps it's because OU was expected to lay down and do nothing and Bama was (IMO) still labelled the "juggernaut" that they were a couple of years ago, but truly never were this year. I thought it was an excellent game between two very good teams.

Return to Top
#1883065 - 01/03/14 08:01 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
^^^^ Agreed. OU was prepared for what AL was going to do, because Saban is not one to change. Stoops went to school on Auburn and TAM successes against AL, he prepared them well. Yes, it was a very good game, just not the outcome I wanted it to be.
I am sure AL had the commitment from all its players this year, as it has had in the past. Probably will see more players go out to NFL this year. Hopefully, Bama can find a replacement for AJ or next year may be a long season.
Last edited by hgliii; 01/03/14 08:04 PM.
Return to Top
#1883098 - 01/03/14 08:39 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Luckily we don't graduate too many and half of those were already injured and not playing! Hoping for good things next year!

Return to Top
#1883123 - 01/03/14 09:08 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Quote:
Luckily we don't graduate too many

No you don't. smile

http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook-o...article/3897193

Return to Top
#1883127 - 01/03/14 09:18 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I couldn't resist.

Return to Top
#1883140 - 01/03/14 09:30 PM Re: 2013-14 Yahoo! College Football Pick'em Challenge Dallas Tide
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Well, if the players weren't so dang good and leave for the NFL before graduating, that rate would be higher! I do know of some that leave for the NFL and just have a few courses left. After being drafted, they finished online courses a year or so later to get their degree and even came back to go through commencement exercises. My daughter used to be a waitress in a popular sports grill owned by an OU graduate so a lot of players used to come in frequently. But they don't get added to the statistics.

Return to Top
Page 30 of 32 1 2 28 29 30 31 32