Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#188485 - 05/10/04 07:21 PM Church's and TIN
Anonymous
Unregistered

We had a new church get a loan to purchase their building. They currently work under their secretary's TIN. Should the church not have their own number, and is this a violation of BSA since the intity does not have their own TIN and we gave them a loan?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#188486 - 05/10/04 07:21 PM Re: Church's and TIN
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Sounds like it to me. They should have their on Tax ID#.

Return to Top
#188487 - 05/10/04 07:23 PM Re: Church's and TIN
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

We had a new church get a loan to purchase their building. They currently work under their secretary's TIN. Should the church not have their own number, and is this a violation of BSA since the intity does not have their own TIN and we gave them a loan?

The church should definitely have their own TIN. And yes to the second question as well. Those days are gone forever...

Return to Top
#188488 - 05/10/04 08:21 PM Re: Church's and TIN
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Yes, the church should apply for and receive its own distinct TIN. There is no reason why they should not have done so already.

My guess is that the issue of real estate property taxes on the property the church purchased may force some action. If the church operates under its secretary's TIN, it will be more difficult to claim exemption from property taxes. And if the church is required to pay property taxes, the secretary will have some explaining to do when the taxes paid are reported under his or her TIN.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z