Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1887313 - 01/16/14 01:15 PM Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar...
A_G Offline
10K Club
Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar Over Sexism

snip - An online campaign successfully petitioned Apple to remove an application from the iTunes Store that people felt was sexist and irresponsible. The game, called Plastic Surgery & Plastic Doctor & Plastic Hospital Office for Barbie Version, encouraged girls as young as nine years old—it was rated as 9+ in the App Store— to perform procedures such as liposuction on a doll.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1887321 - 01/16/14 01:32 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
people really have nothing better to do with their time?

Return to Top
#1887332 - 01/16/14 01:48 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Too much time on my hands
do do do do do do do
Ticking away...ticking away
too much time on my .......... hands

Return to Top
#1887392 - 01/16/14 03:07 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Everyone needs to get over this over sensitive era. "people felt it was sexist and irresponsible" well, wouldn't want anyone to be offended, let's get it off the market ASAP!!!

I swear, some people make a full time job out of looking for stuff to be offended by. If you don't like it, don't download it! Rant over....I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed...

Return to Top
#1887394 - 01/16/14 03:07 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Or monitor what apps your kids download...

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1887450 - 01/16/14 04:17 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... Beagles22
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
Originally Posted By: Beagle Queen
Everyone needs to get over this over sensitive era. "people felt it was sexist and irresponsible" well, wouldn't want anyone to be offended, let's get it off the market ASAP!!!

I swear, some people make a full time job out of looking for stuff to be offended by. If you don't like it, don't download it! Rant over....I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed...

Amen Sistah! I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Hey people... Take responsibility for your children, and stop looking at things you don't like!

Return to Top
#1887453 - 01/16/14 04:19 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
A_G Offline
10K Club
Hi, minion!

Return to Top
#1887461 - 01/16/14 04:23 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... manimal
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: manimal

Are you suggesting that parents take an active role in their kids' lives? shocked The horror!! smirk

Return to Top
#1887464 - 01/16/14 04:24 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Oh that's right, I'm of the generation where kids are doomed because we are horrible parents. Sorry. Guess I should be storming Apple's front gates with my lawyer in tow.

/end_sarcasm laugh

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1887467 - 01/16/14 04:27 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... GuitarDude
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude

Are you suggesting that parents take an active role in their kids' lives? shocked The horror!! smirk

and now APple will be reimbursing parents $32mm for apps their kids downloaded on their parents phone or ipad without parental permission...hello, what kind of idiot gives their kids a phone or pad to play with and leaves the payment information in the user setup and does not restrict the downloading of apps and then claims it is someone elses fault?

Return to Top
#1887469 - 01/16/14 04:27 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... manimal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Oh that's right, I'm of the generation where kids are doomed because we are horrible parents. Sorry. Guess I should be storming Apple's front gates with my lawyer in tow.

/end_sarcasm laugh

wait, you have kids? man (or woman), we are doomed grin
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 01/16/14 04:28 PM.

Return to Top
#1887471 - 01/16/14 04:29 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I didn't say MY kids are doomed.... whistle

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1887472 - 01/16/14 04:29 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... HappyGilmore
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

...hello, what kind of idiot gives their kids a phone or pad to play with and leaves the payment information in the user setup and does not restrict the downloading of apps and then claims it is someone elses fault?

The American public. We're all victims, right?

Return to Top
#1887477 - 01/16/14 04:32 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Not that I am an Apple fan, but obviously it is an evil company because it is in business to make money.

Return to Top
#1887501 - 01/16/14 04:48 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... HappyGilmore
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be

and now APple will be reimbursing parents $32mm for apps their kids downloaded on their parents phone or ipad without parental permission...hello, what kind of idiot gives their kids a phone or pad to play with and leaves the payment information in the user setup and does not restrict the downloading of apps and then claims it is someone elses fault?

While I agree with you, it was not the downloading of apps but in-app purchases that are the subject of the settlement. Certain parents sued claiming that kids were allowed to make in-app purchases without needing parental consent. This is why I have not attached a credit card to my ITunes account. My son can only make purchases with any ITunes cards he buys or is given. And since it is my account I get the notifications for any purchases he has made.

Return to Top
#1887503 - 01/16/14 04:50 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... GuitarDude
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Not that I am an Apple fan, but obviously it is an evil company because it is in business to make money.

No, it is evil because it is controlling and overly compulsive regarding who can create apps for use on the devices it creates. smile

Return to Top
#1887504 - 01/16/14 04:51 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... 'Lil Freak!
TheTruth Offline
TheTruth
USA
Originally Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

...hello, what kind of idiot gives their kids a phone or pad to play with and leaves the payment information in the user setup and does not restrict the downloading of apps and then claims it is someone elses fault?

The American public. We're all victims, right?

I think the repayment is because of a 15 minute lag time between hitting log off and actual log off, or something along those lines. The kids were able to purchase apps in that period. I may be mistaken, but that is what I understood listening to the report this morning while getting ready for work.

If the gas pump allowed the person that pumped gas behind you to use your card info for payment because the info wasn't cleared timely would it be your fault?

Return to Top
#1887529 - 01/16/14 05:11 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... TheTruth
A_G Offline
10K Club
I don't think manimal has kids.

Calibrate his/her opinion accordingly.

Return to Top
#1887546 - 01/16/14 05:20 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Regardless of the app lawsuit and uproar on social media, Apple is an extremely successful example of a company in a free market economy.

Return to Top
#1887547 - 01/16/14 05:21 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
Originally Posted By: AA_G
Hi, minion!

AA_GGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! grinI missed you, Buddy.
Last edited by Not Her Minion; 01/16/14 05:21 PM.

Return to Top
#1887552 - 01/16/14 05:24 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... The Minion
A_G Offline
10K Club
I've been in AA! laugh

Return to Top
#1887588 - 01/16/14 05:55 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... Purple Pride
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By: Purple Pride

No, it is evil because it is controlling and overly compulsive regarding who can create apps for use on the devices it creates. smile

Sounds like someone in compliance I know.

Return to Top
#1887596 - 01/16/14 06:09 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: AA_G
I've been in AA! laugh
laugh

Return to Top
#1887598 - 01/16/14 06:10 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... A_G
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
So, I can't buy this app to perform lipo and other plastic surgery procedures on my Barbie? Drat!!

Return to Top
#1887610 - 01/16/14 06:22 PM Re: Apple Removes App Following Twitter Uproar... Bacon Boy
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: BaconBoy
So, I can't buy this app to perform lipo and other plastic surgery procedures on my Barbie? Drat!!

I guess you'll have to replace the small bucket seats in her Corvette with a bench seat and seat belt extenders. laugh

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2