BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1886000 - 01/13/14 07:02 PM My reminder to not take things for granted
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
My daughter will turn 23 this month. One of her best friends since 6th grade has been in the hospital for 4 weeks. The week of her last finals in college, she came down with flu-like symptoms and went to urgent care. The next day, she was in the ER and they took her by ambulance to a bigger hospital. Days went by before they were able to diagnose a major staph infection that had eaten a hole in her mitral (sp?) valve, so each time her heart would beat it would "flick" more infection into her body. On Christmas Eve she had a stroke from the infection (anyeurisms) in her brain. She remains hospitalized and will for some time.

My daughter and Stacy played 3 sports together all the way through high school. She is young and fit. She is engaged to be married and had just interviewed for her dream job working with service animals. She had the world by the tail (pun intended, I suppose).

Stacy is a fighter and I firmly believe she will beat this and come out strong. But, it definitely makes you stop and think...

Return to Top
#1886003 - 01/13/14 07:04 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I hope she does recover fully! A young lady in my hometown of Pensacola got the flu. Gave birth to her first child, succumbed to numerous lung issues because of the flu and died. No one ever thinks of the flu killing people - but it does every year.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1886076 - 01/13/14 08:09 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
I have some family that refuse to take flu shots or any immunization, because they are sure that the Federal Government just wants to inject a computer chip/tracking device in them. They can't explain why the gov't may be watching them only that they saw it on TV. You see and hear about all these tragic events that can happen to others that come down with flu or some other common illness, you never expect it can happen to you or someone you know.
Last edited by hgliii; 01/13/14 08:12 PM.
Return to Top
#1886083 - 01/13/14 08:13 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
Basilring - A young gentleman in our community recently suffered through the same issue this past summer - staph to heart issues to stroke. After a long battle, he prevailed but is still in some rigerous physical therapy. I will pray for a positive outcome for your daughter's friend as well. A very tough battle that does make you stop and think...

Return to Top
#1886293 - 01/14/14 03:10 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Mitral valves can be repaired or replaced. God bless them.

Return to Top
#1886297 - 01/14/14 03:14 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Yes! She will eventually have surgery to repair or replace. They are not willing to take the risk right now to do so, she needs to get a bit more healthy first.

Thank you to those who responded. It is shocking how many of us can tell similar stories. You just never know what can happen.

Return to Top
#1886380 - 01/14/14 04:54 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
While I did read this yesterday I did not respond. I absolutely don't know what to say. This is horribly tragic and my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone - this young woman, her family, your daughter, etc.

And yes, we should never take anything for granted - especially family and health.

Return to Top
#1886397 - 01/14/14 05:17 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
I understand Skittles. I think I posted the story because I am in such disbelief. Perhaps typing the story was a way to deal with it?

I will be attending a fundraiser dinner for her medical bills this Saturday. That is going to be a tough night. Her family are such good people!

Return to Top
#1886403 - 01/14/14 05:21 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I hope that she comes through. It sounds as though she is strong and ready enough to do what must be done. A positive attitude is a powerful thing. Prayers for her and her family.

Return to Top
#1886410 - 01/14/14 05:26 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Thinking of this young woman and her recovery, basilring. Sounds like she has a great support system.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1886480 - 01/14/14 06:47 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
My grandson (now 1 1/2 yrs old) had been fighting a yeast infection on his bottom for almost a year. In November, a dermatologist went "the next step" and determined it had been a staph infection! No idea where it came from, but it wasn't easy to get under control.

Return to Top
#1886886 - 01/15/14 03:50 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Prayers for Stacy's recovery.......

Return to Top
#1886919 - 01/15/14 04:23 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Prayers from TN.

Return to Top
#1887191 - 01/15/14 08:40 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
NDY - your poor little grandson! Is he in the clear now?

Thank you Quadspapa and Dani :-)

Return to Top
#1887686 - 01/16/14 08:02 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
Grandson is not in the clear yet. I guess it can flare up anytime and they will have to get him back to the doctor asap.
Thanks for asking!

Return to Top
#1904145 - 03/11/14 04:10 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Stacy has now been moved to a neurological rehab facility. She has a long road ahead of her, but I know she can do it. For an update to this story, please read the attached news article from the newspaper at Michigan State University. She graduated from MSU the week she became ill.

http://statenews.com/article/2014/03/stacyblakesleeupdate-p1a-031014

Return to Top
#1904380 - 03/11/14 09:23 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Prayers continue for Stacy from Illinois. Thanks for the update, basilring. smile

Return to Top
#1904484 - 03/12/14 02:56 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Thank you Mulberry!

Return to Top
#1904566 - 03/12/14 04:45 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The reporter writing the story ended with - “I think there’s a full Stacy smile on the horizon.”

God make it so!

Return to Top
#1904854 - 03/13/14 01:47 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
What Pale said! smile

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1904868 - 03/13/14 02:03 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Thank you Pale and RR!

That was a perfect way to end that story. Stacy always had a smile on her face, always leading the cheers. We can't wait to see her spunk again.

Return to Top
#1906241 - 03/18/14 01:17 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Well all... Stacy's parents were just notified that the insurance company is dropping her.... they feel she is not making enough progress and is not participating in therapy.

There are no words...

Return to Top
#1906242 - 03/18/14 01:21 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Oh now that totally BITES! And seems tragically unfair. mad

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1906243 - 03/18/14 01:22 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I could never sleep at night if I worked for an insurance company and had to decide who gets benefits and who doesn't.

Return to Top
#1906298 - 03/18/14 03:12 PM Re: My reminder to not take things for granted basilring
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Hopefully her parents are fighting that decision. I know a couple of people who have had to take on battles with insurance companies and have won. They didn't need this battle at this time so I'll double my prayers for them and Stacy.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett