Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1887245 - 01/15/14 10:03 PM Night Deposit
CHopkins Offline
I need help with a night deposit question, please.

We have 2 customers on an account (A and B), Both A and B claim customer B deposited a check in our night deposit on Sat night Jan 11th. We can’t find where the check was placed in the night deposit. It was not in the night deposit Monday morning, we have reviewed film and the film does not show customer B placing anything in the night deposit. Our film does show customer B withdrawing funds from the ATM. When do we have to give the money for the deposit to customer A?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1887247 - 01/15/14 10:07 PM Re: Night Deposit CHopkins
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Quote:
When do we have to give the money for the deposit to customer A?

You don't. There was no deposit. If they lost the check, they can go back to the maker and request that a stop payment be placed on it and a new one issued.

Return to Top
#1887262 - 01/15/14 10:30 PM Re: Night Deposit CHopkins
CHopkins Offline
Thank you

Return to Top
#1887263 - 01/15/14 10:31 PM Re: Night Deposit CHopkins
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: CHopkins
When do we have to give the money for the deposit to customer A?

when a deposit is made...and since you have no proof of deposit, no deposit has been made. you owe the customer nothing. you certainly are within your rights to let them know you have reviewed camera footage and show a withdrawl fro the ATM, but no night drop box activity.

Then suggest they contact the maker and ask for a re-issue. Although it sounds to me like B cashed the check, possibly at the bank the item was drawn on.

Return to Top
#1887269 - 01/15/14 10:46 PM Re: Night Deposit CHopkins
CHopkins Offline
Does it change anything if they are saying they depsoited cash instead of a check. I misunderstood the operations department and they say customer B says they made the night depsoit of the cash that was removed from the ATM at an earlier time. Apparently Customer B wasn't suppose to get the cash out and when Customer A found out, Customer B was sent back to put it in the night deposit.

Return to Top
#1887275 - 01/15/14 10:54 PM Re: Night Deposit CHopkins
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You have film that shows that customer B never showed up at the night deposit? I would tell them that you have no record of such a deposit and that you do not get involved in civil disputes and they need to sort it out amongst themselves. End of story as far as you are concerned.

Return to Top
#1887314 - 01/16/14 01:17 PM Re: Night Deposit CHopkins
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
This is between A and B. One of them wants to involve you. If you did not have film indicating that the drop was never made they could probably do that. As it is, they cannot. Tell them you have reviewed the film, no night deposit was made, and your bank will not be involved in any future discussions.

Return to Top
#1887864 - 01/17/14 12:56 PM Re: Night Deposit Elwood P. Dowd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
This is between A and B. One of them wants to involve you. If you did not have film indicating that the drop was never made they could probably do that. As it is, they cannot. Tell them you have reviewed the film, no night deposit was made, and your bank will not be involved in any future discussions.

agreed

Both A and B claim customer B deposited a check in our night deposit on Sat night Jan 11th

How would A know if B made the deposit at all yet alone a date?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1887865 - 01/17/14 01:00 PM Re: Night Deposit CHopkins
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
FWIW

Is this a single check as part of a deposit or an entire bag.

At one location we had an issue with bags getting stuck in the chute from time to time (it would drop into the basement). We had a heavy chain we would drop if we had a complaint about a missing bag.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1888137 - 01/17/14 06:56 PM Re: Night Deposit CHopkins
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
said to have been a cash deposit...camera on the box shows no deposit by the person in question

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett