Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1888192 - 01/17/14 08:01 PM Financed Appraisal Fee
Anonymous
Unregistered

We had a request for two refinance loans. The collateral for one was the borrower's primary residence, and the collateral for the second was for the borrower's hunting land in another state. We got appraisals for each. The second refinance loan fell through. We proceeded to close the first loan and included the appraisal fee for both the primary residence and the hunting land in the loan amount. The hunting land was not taken as collateral for this loan. Is this a violation of any regulation?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1888235 - 01/17/14 08:44 PM Re: Financed Appraisal Fee Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
None that I know off, but unless you included the additional appraisal on the GFE, and I don't know why you would have, you probably are going to have tolerance issues. Why don't you just collect the fee directly from the borrower instead of messing around with the applicant's loan for their primary residence which already has enough risk involved in messing it up??

I do assume that you have a written agreement supporting this charge??

#1888249 - 01/17/14 08:56 PM Re: Financed Appraisal Fee rlcarey
Anonymous
Unregistered

The initial GFE showed $1,000 for the appraisal fee. We redisclosed the GFE due to a decrease in the loan amount, and the redisclosed GFE shows $1,250 for the appraisal fee. This includes $800 for the primary residence appraisal and $450 for the hunting land appraisal. The $1,250 total is also reflected on the note. Not sure why they did it this way.

#1888260 - 01/17/14 09:07 PM Re: Financed Appraisal Fee Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Adding the additional appraisal was not a change in circumstances and you increasing the appraisal fee on a subsequent GFE is a violation - plain and simple.

#1888280 - 01/17/14 09:25 PM Re: Financed Appraisal Fee rlcarey
Anonymous
Unregistered

The changed circumstance was an approximate $40K decrease in the loan amount, not due to the appraisal charge.

#1888290 - 01/17/14 09:33 PM Re: Financed Appraisal Fee Anonymous
dblack Offline
Gold Star
AL
But the only thing that should have been changed (on the GFE) during that re-disclosure was any fee directly related to the loan amount decrease.

The appraisal fee increasing would not be directly related to that and therefore should not have been changed.

CRCM

#1888295 - 01/17/14 09:37 PM Re: Financed Appraisal Fee dblack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah, I see. I misunderstood. I'll pass that on to the loan department. Thank you both for your help.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale