Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1890244 - 01/24/14 07:48 PM APR Accuracy
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast
I know the topic of APR accuracy has been discussed at legnth, but I would really appreciate it if someone could read through the rest of my post and comment on whether I my restatement and understanding of .22(a) is accurate.

.22(a)(4) For mortgage transactions, in addition to the .125% APR tolerance (or .25% for irregular transactions), the disclosed APR is considered accurate if it varies from the actual APR if the disclosed APR was based on the disclosed finance charge and the disclosed finance charge is understated by no more than $100 (or the formula in .23(g) or (h) for rescindable transactions) or is overstated.

.22(a)(5) For mortgage transactions, in addition to the .125% APR tolerance (or .25% for irregular transactions), if the disclosed finance charge is calculated incorrectly but is understated by no more than $100 (or the formula in .23(g) or (h) for rescindable transactions) or is overstated, the disclosed APR is considered accurate if it is closer to the actual APR than it would have been if it was based on the disclosed finance charge. [This section only applies of the disclosed APR was not based on the disclosed finance charge.]

An ARM with an introductory rate that is not tied to the index is an irregular transaction.

Interest is part of the finance charge. If the disclosed finance charge is calculated correctly but becomes overstated because the loan amount decreases without any other change to the terms of the loan, it is still considered accurate under .18(d) and .23(g) and (h).

Thanks!!!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1890295 - 01/24/14 08:40 PM Re: APR Accuracy Reed
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Originally Posted By: Reed
if the disclosed APR was based on the disclosed finance charge and the disclosed finance charge is understated by no more than $100 (or the formula in .23(g) or (h) for rescindable transactions) or is overstated.

I believe that in a mortgage transaction the APR is also considered accurate if overstated.

Return to Top
#1890364 - 01/24/14 09:49 PM Re: APR Accuracy Reed
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Although the reg may excuse small variances and consider the FC and APR legally accurate, this question can be avoided all together if you routinely do a final TIL that is based on the deal that actually closes.

Return to Top
#1890369 - 01/24/14 09:53 PM Re: APR Accuracy Reed
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast
Absolutly!

I just wanted to make sure I understand .22(a) correctly. Thank you both for responding!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z