Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options Tools
#189132 - 05/12/04 03:08 PM Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
JeffB Offline
100 Club
NC - On the Coast
In the last couple of days we have gotten several calls asking to "verify address of a card holder". My first reaction was to say we do not give out information over the phone. I got a number to call back from one caller and did some follow-up. This was with a retailer that said they are trying to prevent internet fraud. On every transaction they perform an address match. She said they have a global match system they call, but often they will be notified that the info given did not match. They then call a seperate number that will give them the financial institutions phone number. They will call the institution and attempt to verify the info. She said they do not want any informtion. They will provide the card number (generally debit card), name and an address and only want a yes or no response to the match. She presented it to be very similar to merchant check verification. Does this sound legit and is it OK to verify this info? Before I say it is OK to do so I wanted to get feedback with others who may have been through this.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#189133 - 05/12/04 03:15 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Address verification is a critical piece of information for merchants accepting credit or debit cards, and a standard procedure under credit card association rules. As the merchant said, it's to prevent fraud. I see nothing wrong with verifying the information provided with a terse Yes or No.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#189134 - 05/12/04 03:16 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I've attempted to purchase stuff on the internet with a bank issued card and if the address is not keyed in perfectly, the transaction is rejected and occasionally they call me directly to inform me that the transaction needs to be re-submitted. I normally tell them to forget about it - based on the fact that they are talking directly to me, at the bank, but will not use that contact as verification.

Frankly, I just don't know how contacting the bank directly helps a merchant to verify an address as they would have to change the address based on your input. I simply would not provide the information.

Return to Top
#189135 - 05/12/04 04:57 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

Frankly, I just don't know how contacting the bank directly helps a merchant to verify an address as they would have to change the address based on your input. I simply would not provide the information.

My reading of the above post (and my experience with similar calls) tells me that the bank is not being asked to provide an address, but to verify the information that the merchant already has. As for how it helps? It helps the merchant identify fraudulent transactions. Also, it helps the bank identify compromised cards. Personally, I would rather find out about a compromised card via a merchant verification than through a Reg E claim.

Return to Top
#189136 - 05/12/04 05:07 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Many moons ago when I worked in a small credit card shop this was quite common for telephone orders. The internet wasn't around then.

We would simply say yes the information matches our records, or no the information does not match our records. No further information would be given.

Return to Top
#189137 - 05/12/04 05:27 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
That makes sense, if the merchant is verifying a correct address, but my experience relates to the wrong address and on the internet merchants have direct access to check the address, versus calling a bank directly.

Checking a correct address is going to impact production at the bank level if that practice continues. A wonder what happens if you say that it's not the correct address?

Return to Top
#189138 - 05/12/04 05:41 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

A wonder what happens if you say that it's not the correct address?

We would not dilvulge the correct address. The merchant would either attmept to contact the person or not process the order.

Return to Top
#189139 - 05/12/04 06:00 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

Checking a correct address is going to impact production at the bank level if that practice continues.

Perhaps, but let's look at what happens if we refuse the call:
1) The merchant may cancel the transaction (less fee income for the bank.)
2) If the merchant conveys to the customer that the transaction was cancelled because they could not verify the address, who will be the object of the customer's anger? In my experience, angry customer calls are more time consuming than merchant verification calls.
3) If the aforementioned customer feels that he cannot use his debit card to its full potential, he may open an account at an institution where this will not be an issue.

Now let's consider the other scenario:
Quote:

A wonder what happens if you say that it's not the correct address?

In a perfect world, the merchant cancels the transaction. Furthermore, the bank's best practice at this point is to contact the customer to authenticate the transaction. If it is authorized, explain the address discrepancy problem to the customer so he can avoid the same problem on his reorder. If it is not authorized, the bank has just headed off future Reg E claims by cancelling the card before additional transactions could be done.

Of course, we don't know whether the address will be legit or not unless we honor the verification call in the first place. So, while I understand your point about increased productivity, I think refusing the call is penny wise and pound foolish.

Return to Top
#189140 - 05/12/04 06:07 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
We will usually verify correct information but we will not correct them unless we have prior notice from the customer authorizing that. We have a VERY strict privacy policy that we have to follow after being burned a couple of times. I have had my own debit card denied for address not matching on internet purchases because my address abbreviations were different than input by my own bank - Rd. instead of Road.

Return to Top
#189141 - 05/12/04 06:30 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I think refusing the call is penny wise and pound foolish.

Well, there will be none of that at your bank!

My point was that internet merchants had better sign up to automatically check the address as part of their processing scenario and leave the bank out of that scenario.

Do you realize that some of your posts border on soapbox oration?

Return to Top
#189142 - 05/12/04 08:00 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Quote:

My point was that internet merchants had better sign up to automatically check the address as part of their processing scenario and leave the bank out of that scenario.

Most of the calls that we get of this type are from merchants after their systems have run their automatic address check, and it's been kicked out as an exception for not matching exactly. The merchants don't know why it kicks out on their report, just that it doesn't perfectly match our records.

The merchant doesn't want to lose the sale, so they do some follow up with the card issuer to see if it is a correct address, but possibly, as noted above, just has an insignificant variant between the customer's input and the card issuer's data records - "Road" vs. "Rd". Or the customer used "#" instead of "Apt".

If we can verify that the address is correct, they complete the sale, and we get a charge on the credit card. And our mutual customer is happy.

Return to Top
#189143 - 05/12/04 08:13 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
So, if it's just a little off from what you have, you provide the correct address. It seems like they should call the customer, not the bank.

Return to Top
#189144 - 05/12/04 08:13 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I agree with Tisa's last statement.

Return to Top
#189145 - 05/12/04 08:23 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I agree with Tisa's last statement.

Well, isn't that special - Tisa has Fraud Pup's agreement. Life is good. The insight on BOL is simply awesome.

Return to Top
#189146 - 05/12/04 08:30 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Anon--the question was not that difficult and had been beaten to death by Paragon already from angles as relevant as what I had for lunch today. Tisa summed it up PERFECTLY, IMO.

"For account number x, I show the following address: y. Does this address match your records?"

Yes/No.

It's not a philosophical question. Would you rather I add that I ate Chinese today? The sweet/sour wasn't bad. Do you feel better now that I added some gray to the black/white topic?

Get a life.

Return to Top
#189147 - 05/12/04 08:40 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Anon--the question was not that difficult and had been beaten to death by Paragon already from angles as relevant as what I had for lunch today. Tisa summed it up PERFECTLY, IMO.
"For account number x, I show the following address: y. Does this address match your records?"
Yes/No.
It's not a philosophical question. Would you rather I add that I ate Chinese today? The sweet/sour wasn't bad. Do you feel better now that I added some gray to the black/white topic?
Get a life.

Excellent, FraudPup - more simply awesome insight - right on target - simply brilliant stuff. And the what you had for lunch stuff – on the mark, applicative, applicatory, apposite, apropos, apt, associable, befitting, felicitous, fit, fitting, germane, kosher, legit, material, on target, pertinent, relevant, right on, usable, suitable, suited and useful. You are the man!

Return to Top
#189148 - 05/12/04 08:45 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

So, if it's just a little off from what you have, you provide the correct address. It seems like they should call the customer, not the bank.

This would make sense if the merchant knew the specifics and magnitude of the discrepancy. But, as Tisa points out, such is not the case. A difference between 'Road' and 'Rd' will reject the same as a completely different address. If the merchant calls the customer, then the merchant is enabling fraud by allowing the thief to tell him that the bogus information is legit.

Return to Top
#189149 - 05/12/04 08:46 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
LOL

I'm still waiting to hear your take on the original question. Bedazzle us!

Return to Top
#189150 - 05/12/04 08:53 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

This would make sense if the merchant knew the specifics and magnitude of the discrepancy. But, as Tisa points out, such is not the case. A difference between 'Road' and 'Rd' will reject the same as a completely different address. If the merchant calls the customer, then the merchant is enabling fraud by allowing the thief to tell him that the bogus information is legit.

But, what if the charge isn't legit with the address off because the perp didn't know that it was a little different, on purpose. Would you not be party to the fraud by providing the correct address information?

Return to Top
#189151 - 05/12/04 09:03 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
That makes sense, anon. But, I think that the consensus was to have the caller give the address as received from the "customer" while we either give a "yes" or "no". From that standpoint, we would not be providing an address correction, simply a positive or negative feedback.

I agree 100% with you that we should NEVER offer a correction or give out information.
Last edited by Fraud Pup; 05/12/04 09:22 PM.
Return to Top
#189152 - 05/12/04 09:17 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Quote:

If it's fraud, calling the alleged customer woudn't do any good. The crook would only smile and say, "oh yes, that's my correct address." The merchant's main method of detecting possible fraud is mis-matched addresses.

We're not providing any kind of address to the merchant - only a "yes" or "no" that the address the customer gave them on their order is the same as the address on the customer's account with us.

Suppose the customer gave the merchant 123 Main Street # 12. When the merchant reads that to us over the phone, they say "one two three Main Street number twelve". If our files say 123 Main St Apt 12, it might not exactly match, but it is the same address. So we tell the merchant "yes" that is a correct address, and nothing more. They process the purchase, and everyone merrily goes on their way.

If, however, our files say 456 Oak Ave, we would tell the merchant "no" that is not a correct address - and nothing more. The merchant may or may not do further inquiry on the purchase -- that's up to them. We might decide to contact our customer and see if they've made a purchase from that merchant, or if perhaps someone is fraudulently trying to use their card.

Return to Top
#189153 - 05/12/04 09:34 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
But, what if the '12,' apt or # is not 'provided,' would you provide it to make it correct?

It's just my opinion, but the customer needs to provide the correct address - the bank should not be directly involved. Do you think that huge banks provide this 'input' to merchants that call? I would like to see the instructions that tellers and others have in your bank covering what they can and cannot provide in this area - I'm thinking that there are no instructions at all. And having tellers, etc. sort this out is out of the question. They don't have a way to verify who's calling, other than to call them back, so 'any' change would incur liability.

Return to Top
#189154 - 05/12/04 09:38 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
But, what if the '12,' apt or # is not 'provided,' would you provide it to make it correct?

NO! NEVER offer a correction. If they give the address without the apartment number, it is incorrect and we would simply say that the address is incorrect. If you give me the correct address, I will say yes. If you give me the incorrect address, I will say no.

Return to Top
#189155 - 05/12/04 10:22 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Quote:

And having tellers, etc. sort this out is out of the question.

We have a specific (Visa) department that handles these calls. They don't go through the regular call center.

(All merchant calls handled by trained professionals. Don't try this at home.)

Sorry - it's getting late and I'm a little punchy.

Return to Top
#189156 - 05/12/04 10:43 PM Re: Callers asking to Verify Card Holder Address
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
And having tellers, etc. sort this out is out of the question.

We have a specific (Visa) department that handles these calls. They don't go through the regular call center.

(All merchant calls handled by trained professionals. Don't try this at home.)

Sorry - it's getting late and I'm a little punchy.

Oh, I forgot - you are with a Credit Union, correct? So, production isn't an issue or tax. Don't worry about being punchy - you are with a Credit Union!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2