Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#189358 - 05/12/04 07:29 PM Joint Obligations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would just like to verify that the SCRA covers anyone who may be a joint applicant or co-signer/guarantor with a servicemember? Question came up about parents, girlfriends, etc. who are joint applicants on a credit card. Most of the reading seems to refer to dependents of the servicemember and I believe I read guarantors are covered so I just want to make sure I answer this correctly. Thank you.

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#189359 - 05/12/04 08:59 PM Re: Joint Obligations
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
To the best of my knowledge it covers any account that a military person is joint on, co-signer on, or a guarantor on.

Return to Top
#189360 - 05/12/04 11:46 PM Re: Joint Obligations
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Part of this is what part of the SCRA do you mean. The general question on SCRA is the interest rate. At 207 of the SCRA you'll see that it says it covers debts "the servicemember and the servicemember’s spouse jointly". It seems to define the debts the servicemember has, and has with a spouse. This is new to the SCRA vs. the SSCRA.

If they meant ANY debt the servicemember had, why be specific as to what was joint? Does this mean any loan "joint" with other than the spouse is NOT covered?

A court may have to tell us. My recommendation would generally be to cover any account they are on, especially if they are paying it.

If you mean evictions, the servicemember and their family is covered.

Bottom line, look at the section you mean as well as definitions of coverage.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z