New Reply Thread Options
#1898129 - 02/19/14 03:48 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Card Agreement
Using your Card
. Each time you use your Card, you authorize us to reduce the value available on your Card by the amount of the transaction plus applicable fees. You may use your Card to purchase or lease goods or services wherever MasterCard debit cards are accepted as long as you do not exceed the daily transactional limit on your Card. You are responsible for all authorized transactions initiated by use of your Card. If you permit someone else to use your Card or Card number we will treat this as if you have authorized such use and you will be responsible for any transactions made by that person. If you use your Card number without presenting your Card (such as for a mail or telephone, or Internet purchase), the legal effect will be the
same as if you used the Card itself. Your Card cannot be redeemed for cash.
You may use your Card to access cash at an ATM, except it may not be used at ATMs located outside the United States. You may not use your Card for any illegal transaction. You are not allowed to exceed the available amount on your Card through an individual transaction or a series of transactions

http://www.hrblock.com/bank/pdfs/card_account_terms_and_conditions.pdf
Last edited by EdAudit; 02/19/14 03:48 PM.

CAMS

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1898131 - 02/19/14 03:51 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance ACBbank
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: ACBbank
Thank for posting the link Skittles. If I understand this correctly, a non-customer comes in for a cash advance, as an FI that is offering MC branded debit cards, we must provide the cash advance, but can require the non-customer to provide a photo ID?

What good would that be if you can not determine who the card belongs to?

I do not get this process but I do not believe that these cards are debt cards as they appear to be a prepaid access card.

CAMS

#1898132 - 02/19/14 03:52 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
^ I agree Ed. It makes no sense to me. I didn't get a chance to review our contract with MC yet, but if we are obliged to offer this service, I'm not comfortable with refusing to honor our contract.

#1898138 - 02/19/14 03:57 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance ACBbank
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: ACBbank
^ I agree Ed. It makes no sense to me. I didn't get a chance to review our contract with MC yet, but if we are obliged to offer this service, I'm not comfortable with refusing to honor our contract.

I would not be comfortable with refusing or granting at this point but prepaid and debit cards have different requirements.

Waiting for Brian to chime in.

CAMS

#1898184 - 02/19/14 05:28 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance Anonymous
Derwood Offline
100 Club
Not Brian but I'll chime in.

The Mastercard Manual Cash Disbursement Acceptance Procedures do not require you to check the name on a card. The instructions are to verify the first four and last four digits of the cardnumber, the photograph on the card (if any), that the card is signed, and request personal, unexpired identification that bears the cardholders signature and photograph and compare that signature with the one on the card.

It is the matching signatures that identify who has the right to use the card which is why you should always sign your card.

As far as the H&R Block cards not being redeemable for cash that would be set up on the issuer side by blocking transactions coded as cash disbursements. It is not the merchants job to know if the type of transaction is allowed on any particular type card.

#1898206 - 02/19/14 06:02 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance Anonymous
cheech Offline
100 Club
Chatsworh PA
Just wondering.... The banks that charge a teller fee, do they also charge that on cash advance customers?

#1898233 - 02/19/14 07:14 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance cheech
Derwood Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: cheech
Just wondering.... The banks that charge a teller fee, do they also charge that on cash advance customers?

Short answer is no - it isn't allowed by the Visa or Mastercard on manual cash disbusrment transactions. If you click on the link Skittles provided earlier in this thread the topic of surcharges is covered in that discussion.
Last edited by Derwood; 02/19/14 07:15 PM. Reason: clarification

#1898692 - 02/20/14 09:43 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance Anonymous
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
Just to add my two cents to Derwood's posts. You generally won't find cash advance information directly in your Visa or MC contracts; you most likely will find language binding you to their Operating rules. A search through those will provide you the information you need on issues such as acceptance and surcharging.

#1899192 - 02/22/14 03:25 AM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance Anonymous
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Good to know I was missed. I've been at Top Gun in sunny Scottsdale all week, but I am back to reality in Illinois. A portion of my webinar The Maze of Debit Card Compliance will touch on cash advances. VISA/MC both have non-discrimination clauses in their operating rules you must provide cash advances to all VISA/MC branded cards regardless of customer/non-customer, embossed/unembossed. As has been stated. certain prepaid cards may not be able to be used at an ATM or to perform a cash advance, but this is restricted by the issuer, not the acquirer.

#2025774 - 07/07/15 09:10 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance BrianC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brian,
Could you clarify if "unembossed" also includes cards without a printed name? We are having customers bring in cards without any name at all on the card and request a cash advance.

superlinda

#2025780 - 07/07/15 09:23 PM Re: VISA/MC Cash Advance Anonymous
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Unembossed does include cards without a printed name. As is noted in previous posts, for cards without a printed name you still request photo ID, compare the signature to the back of the card and obtain a valid authorization using your card terminal. If you obtain a valid authorization and have the cardholder sign the sales receipt, you are protected from any fraud related chargebacks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale