Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1901856 - 03/04/14 02:32 PM Is this suspicious?
AquaMarine Offline
100 Club
New York, NY
One of our commercial customers receives and sends wires to a number of high risk jurisdictions such as Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador, just to name a few. For the outgoing wires, we were able to identify the beneficiaries as operating within the complementary industries as our customer. However, the incoming wires are all coming through "JPMorgan Mexico Supply Chain" and, therefore, the true originator(s) is unknown. These incoming wires, however, do reference invoice numbers and appear to be commercial in nature.

That being noted, is it suffice to deem the activity as not suspicious, or is a SAR warranted at this point? While I'm on the fence of filing, a third-party's point of view would be helpful.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1901878 - 03/04/14 03:22 PM Re: Is this suspicious? AquaMarine
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
What are you told when you ask for the true originating party information?

Return to Top
#1901890 - 03/04/14 03:34 PM Re: Is this suspicious? AquaMarine
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Have you asked the customer about the incoming wires? Trying to guess without at least asking the question is simply not an option. If you customer is legit and the wires are legit, your customer should not have a problem providing the information.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1901895 - 03/04/14 03:40 PM Re: Is this suspicious? AquaMarine
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
^ Exactly. Ask the Customer about what is going on. You may even be able to obtain some documentation to back up their claims.

Return to Top
#1901938 - 03/04/14 04:24 PM Re: Is this suspicious? AquaMarine
AquaMarine Offline
100 Club
New York, NY
We have attempted to reach out to the customer to no avail. Since we don't have the luxury of waiting for a decent response, I guess filing would be the safer approach at this time around.
Thank you all for the input!

Return to Top
#1901950 - 03/04/14 04:32 PM Re: Is this suspicious? AquaMarine
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
So, do you plan to continue accepting those sorts of wires for this customer in the future?

Return to Top
#1902048 - 03/04/14 07:16 PM Re: Is this suspicious? AquaMarine
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Unless there is more to the fact situation, I'm not sure why you would come down on the side of filing. All of the facts you've gathered so far and presented here, you've said, are indicators of legitimate business.

If you're not able to make contact with the customer (that's how I read your "attempted to reach out" statement), you might consider a 314(b) call to the originating bank.

Return to Top
#1902120 - 03/04/14 08:15 PM Re: Is this suspicious? AquaMarine
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Is this the originator?

I am not seeing the need for a SAR based on what you have described.

Does the above link help you?

Return to Top
#1902265 - 03/05/14 12:56 PM Re: Is this suspicious? MagicCity
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I see no basis for a SAR based on the wires. However, the customer's unresponsiveness to repeated requests for information or documentation; e.g. copies of the invoices when requested, might be more than enough to get your juices flowing.

You need a sit down with the customer.

Return to Top
#1902394 - 03/05/14 04:07 PM Re: Is this suspicious? AquaMarine
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If the customer has a borrowing relationship with your bank, I suggest you sit down with the lender of record first to explain your concerns and perhaps glean some additional information the help flesh out the picture for you. If a sit-down with the customer is needed, it could be more productive (depending on the personalities involved) to include the lender in the conversation. Customers often take a more consultative stance with lenders that with operations types, and they can be put off by someone wearing a BSA/AML hat.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z