Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1901992 - 03/04/14 05:36 PM mask acct number?
LorBeth Offline
TX
In the interest of securing customer information, we mask the deposit account number in most communications, showing only the last 4 digits. Is there any reason we could NOT mask the account number on monthly customer statements?

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know. -- Mark Twain

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1902152 - 03/04/14 08:57 PM Re: mask acct number? LorBeth
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
No real reason that I am aware of. I've answered this question before by referring to the fact that Reg E has a provision allowing for the truncation of card and/or account numbers on machine receipts, but no similar provision for the account number on a periodic statement (it calls for the account number). But I cannot believe that an examiner would have a problem with periodic statements with truncated account numbers as a security device.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1902153 - 03/04/14 08:57 PM Re: mask acct number? LorBeth
Ric30 Offline
100 Club
IN
We started masking our monthly statements with the January statement. We haven't heard if we are in trouble yet or any complaints from clients.

Return to Top
#1902204 - 03/04/14 10:04 PM Re: mask acct number? LorBeth
LorBeth Offline
TX
Thank you both-- we have examiners on site starting this week, so we may just discuss with them before going ahead. Thanks for your input --

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know. -- Mark Twain

Return to Top