Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1903339 - 03/07/14 05:05 PM CIP/SSN
BSAAnonymous Offline
100 Club
Do you all keep a copy of the Social Security card (including those that are for work purposes, etc) in the customer's folder (DDA's)? As per regulation you are not required, but you must document what steps you conducted to verify the document, etc. Thanks!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1903402 - 03/07/14 06:16 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
AquaMarine Offline
100 Club
New York, NY
As long as you retain the information and mention what method was used for verification, that's suffice enough as part of the recordkeeping requirements.

Return to Top
#1903417 - 03/07/14 06:32 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A SSN card is not government issued identification.

Return to Top
#1904115 - 03/11/14 03:28 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
Depends on what your policy states. Our policy requires scanning certain documents and just listing others. We are examined according to how we follow our policy.

Return to Top
#1904118 - 03/11/14 03:36 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Your policy has nothing to do with whether or not a SSN card is government issued identification. There is only one answer to that question and that answer is that it is not.

I really don't even understand the original poster's question. You have to document how you verified a SSN card??

Return to Top
#1904137 - 03/11/14 04:02 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I don't understand either. The point of verification is to verify the information provided by the customer, not the actual documentation provided. The documentation is used for just that purpose.

Return to Top
#1904141 - 03/11/14 04:04 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes, and a SS card verifies nothing.

Return to Top
#1904192 - 03/11/14 05:09 PM Re: CIP/SSN rlcarey
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Okay, I'll bite. A Social Security card doesn't provide documentary verification for an SSN?

Return to Top
#1904198 - 03/11/14 05:13 PM Re: CIP/SSN Elwood P. Dowd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
Okay, I'll bite. A Social Security card doesn't provide documentary verification for an SSN?

I would tend to agree the card show that a number was issued (debatable if issued to the person listed as they are the easiest things to photocopy) but it does not show that the person in front of you is the person named on the card.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1904204 - 03/11/14 05:16 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Ken,

Well, you do raise a good point and I guess it could.

However, I would be hard pressed to recommend that a bank make it a requirement to verify a SSN within a bank's CIP.

I guess this just hit one of those sore spots for me. I can't tell you how many banks that I visit that lists a SSN card under "acceptable government identification documents".

Return to Top
#1904250 - 03/11/14 06:09 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
ms.understood Offline
Washington
Just throwing my hat in...

We don't require verification of the SSN until an alert or something indicates we should verify it (Credit report shows SSN issued prior to DOB, or has never been issued). We then ask for the card.

I haven't come across a fake SS card yet, though I'm sure it's possible. Usually when we ask for proof of their SSN, if it's not their number, they don't come back, and don't provide the card.

Return to Top
#1904265 - 03/11/14 06:28 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I haven't come across a fake SS card yet

Well, that you are aware of anyway smile

Cards are a dime a dozen. You should be requiring a confirmation letter from the SSA.

Return to Top
#1904270 - 03/11/14 06:35 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
ms.understood Offline
Washington
Cards are a dime a dozen. You should be requiring a confirmation letter from the SSA.

We were...then we had one of our local field offices send the member/applicant back to us with a notarized letter telling us that the card itself was verification, and they weren't going to provide us any letters.

I heard from someone else that the IRS Chief Counsel's office in DC had issued a publication or letter that stated the SSA wasn't allowing the letters to be issued anymore, but that issue/publication had been retracted. Ugh. Can't we all just get along??! I only have trouble coming from one region's local office. The rest play nice.

Return to Top
#1904282 - 03/11/14 06:48 PM Re: CIP/SSN BSAAnonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Favorite true story

New account rep to customer: Our third party provider claims that your ss# is invalid. Would you have a copy of the card.

Customer: Sure hands over poor looking copy.

new account rep: this is the number I entered is the number new.

Customer: no I bought it last year at the convenience store.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1904293 - 03/11/14 07:01 PM Re: CIP/SSN edAudit
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Banker in Oklahoma looking at a new SS card which the account applicant has handed her, then the screen that says "Invalid; never issued: "I'm sorry sir, but the number on this card is invalid - it has never been issued."

Customer, visually taken aback,: "Really?!" Reaching for his wallet and pulling out another new card, "Here, try this one."

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z