Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thread Options
#190450 - 05/19/04 01:17 PM Re: Gas Prices
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Need an SUV for the room, but also need fuel economy? This may be an alternative.

Family Car

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#190451 - 05/19/04 02:41 PM Re: Gas Prices
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
When I left for work yesterday gas was $1.89 and on the way home it was $1.94...for the cheap stuff. I'm considering parking the truck and riding the horse to work!

Return to Top
#190452 - 05/19/04 02:57 PM Re: Gas Prices
Wriggley Offline
Maine
IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES. THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT. WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO? REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO! WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Return to Top
#190453 - 05/19/04 03:15 PM Re: Gas Prices
jason Offline
100 Club
Almost Heaven
Quote:

When I left for work yesterday gas was $1.89 and on the way home it was $1.94...for the cheap stuff. I'm considering parking the truck and riding the horse to work!

i have been riding my mountain bike to work, takes about 20 min. i get my excercise in and dont spend so much on gas. nothing like killin 2 birds with one stone.
<><

Return to Top
#190454 - 05/19/04 03:24 PM Re: Gas Prices
bb Offline
100 Club
Big XII
Quote:

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES. THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT. WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO? REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO! WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Unfortunately, if we "stick it to them" today, we'll pay for it in spades tomorrow....

Return to Top
#190455 - 05/19/04 03:32 PM Re: Gas Prices
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I could ride or walk to one of our branch offices that is about a mile from my house. But our main office is 50 miles one way...I'd never make it on a bike and my horse would probably give out before I got there.

Return to Top
#190456 - 05/19/04 03:34 PM Re: Gas Prices
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
judging by your new avatar, the horse would probably buck you off once it figured out your intention.

What kind of mileage does the horse get?

Return to Top
#190457 - 05/19/04 03:39 PM Re: Gas Prices
jason Offline
100 Club
Almost Heaven
Quote:

I could ride or walk to one of our branch offices that is about a mile from my house. But our main office is 50 miles one way...I'd never make it on a bike and my horse would probably give out before I got there.

you might be able to get your boss to have a company car waiting for you at at the branch only a mile away.

what are you worried about money for any way, you get that auditors pay, .
<><

Return to Top
#190458 - 05/19/04 03:40 PM Re: Gas Prices
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
You are sooo funny! Do I need to break the race horse out again?

Return to Top
#190459 - 05/19/04 04:12 PM Re: Gas Prices
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Quote:

MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

I got this email. It seems like every year gas goes way up people think that this is a good idea. If anyone has ever taken macroeconomics, you would know that it is not a good idea. It's like saying if I don't eat for a day then food will be cheaper. No, sorry, does not work. All the gas that you do not buy today, you will just buy later on in the week. Industry wide boycotts have never worked. Gas is a necessity. It has inelastic demand.

Return to Top
#190460 - 05/19/04 04:27 PM Re: Gas Prices
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

I got this email. It seems like every year gas goes way up people think that this is a good idea. If anyone has ever taken macroeconomics, you would know that it is not a good idea. It's like saying if I don't eat for a day then food will be cheaper. No, sorry, does not work. All the gas that you do not buy today, you will just buy later on in the week. Industry wide boycotts have never worked. Gas is a necessity. It has inelastic demand.

This is why we need to use alternative fuels. Such as Ethenal.

I have an idea for an engine that does not use gas at all and is not completely dependant on batteries either. I wish I had the money and "know how" to create it.

Return to Top
#190461 - 05/19/04 04:34 PM Re: Gas Prices
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I wish I got as good mileage with ethanol as I do with regular gas. If I did, I would use it more.

Just went up to $2.09 in Appleton, WI. The rest of the Fox Valley towns usually follow suit.

Return to Top
#190462 - 05/19/04 05:32 PM Re: Gas Prices
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Your assessment of the economic literacy of those proposing such an action is, of course, spot-on.

I would only change your statement regarding inelasticity. Demand, at this price level, is relatively inelastic. Quantity demanded is still inversely related to price, it's just that the correlation is not as strong as it is for, say, movie tickets.

A more logical suggestion by the boycotters would be for everyone to ride their bike, or walk (or whatever, just don't use gasoline) for one day.

Return to Top
#190463 - 05/19/04 05:35 PM Re: Gas Prices
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

If we "need" ethanol, or other alternatives, won't the market provide them?

Return to Top
#190464 - 05/19/04 06:17 PM Re: Gas Prices
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Wriggley you're completely uninformed if you think that this is all the gas companies fault. Frankly not hitting the pumps today will cause the individual owners of the gas stations to take a hit today on the few pennies they make per gallon. They won't sell any food or beverages that are normally picked up at their convenience stores and their mechanics won't have any work to do that comes in today. You'll be "Sticking it" to a small business owner who doesn’t deserve your disdain.

Oil companies do not have huge stockpiles of barrels of oil sitting around waiting for your stupid campaign to succeed. If they did they'd be selling them at the record highs that are being seen now a days ($41.20 on Friday). We also wouldn't be in this boat if political tensions in the Middle East and instability in Iraq weren’t ruining confidence in the security of supplies from those areas. Also as mentioned above (did you bother reading the entire thread before you pasted that goober in here?) refineries are cleaning up their processors for the summer fuel demands. Sure they continue to buy and that causes a small stockpile, but they HAVE to close down and get this done. During the summer we'll run through that stockpile quicker than your SUV can suck down a quart of oil.

Before you start silly campaigns like this educate yourself on who you're really hurting and what the problem really is. I'm going to run now; I have to fill up at the gas tank today. I'm also buying my assistant a tank of gas as well so we can be there for our small business clients who you're "sticking it to" just because they're lucky enough to provide you with gas on occasions when you feel gracious enough to buy it.

::Dawnie takes a deep breath:: Ok back to the nice me. (I think I shouldn't read this thread in the morning!)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#190465 - 05/19/04 06:47 PM Re: Gas Prices
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Wriggley you're completely uninformed if you think that this is all the gas companies fault.

Yeah, Dick Cheney is culpable, too!

Return to Top
#190466 - 05/19/04 07:10 PM Re: Gas Prices
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

In theory, yes, but I believe it will be a very long time before you will see any widespread use of alternative fuels. Getting this country's economy to run on anything other than oil would be like getting the human body to survive without blood.

Return to Top
#190467 - 05/19/04 07:27 PM Re: Gas Prices
Peanut Offline
100 Club
Peanut
Midwest
Wow Dawnie, you go girl, after reading your post I'm going to make it a point to stop and fill up on my way home tonight.

Return to Top
#190468 - 05/19/04 07:38 PM Re: Gas Prices
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Thanks Ashlynn I hope all BOL'ers will too. Most of us like our small business partners out there I know Jokerman will...unless he's already full of it

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#190469 - 05/19/04 07:41 PM Re: Gas Prices
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

The market is providing them. Unfortunately, they are not being used to the extent they should be used.

Return to Top
#190470 - 05/19/04 08:05 PM Re: Gas Prices
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

they are not being used to the extent they should be used.

Hmm, so who gets to determine this extent?

Return to Top
#190471 - 05/19/04 08:06 PM Re: Gas Prices
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I believe it will be a very long time before you will see any widespread use of alternative fuels.

Then they must not be "needed". Yet.

Return to Top
#190472 - 05/19/04 08:13 PM Re: Gas Prices
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

I believe it will be a very long time before you will see any widespread use of alternative fuels.

That is an ignorant statement. Just because the demand is not there doesn't mean something isn't needed.

Return to Top
#190473 - 05/19/04 08:23 PM Re: Gas Prices
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

Well, the word "needed" is in quotes, which would suggest that jokerman actually means something else.
Last edited by DawgFan; 05/19/04 08:24 PM.

Return to Top
#190474 - 05/19/04 08:38 PM Re: Gas Prices
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Just because the demand is not there doesn't mean something isn't needed.

How, exactly, do you define need?

Quote:

The market is providing them. Unfortunately, they are not being used to the extent they should be used.

That is an arrogant statement.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8