Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
New Reply Thread Options
#1903638 - 03/09/14 12:15 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you have ever been to certain places in Europe, going through a mantrap with a metal detector is the only way to get into an actual bank lobby. There are lockers outside the mantrap area, as you are not allowed to bring in any backpacks, briefcases or even purses.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1903809 - 03/10/14 05:29 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

OP here: Yes, you answered my question, and I very much appreciate it.

I tried to look through and find any other discussion about this before I posted but I didnt find it. I didnt mean to annoy anyone or flog a dead horse. Thank you to those who replyed to me. It helps a lot and yes I am in IL.

#1903815 - 03/10/14 05:38 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Search this forum only, use the search terms "concealed" - go back 5 years, you can't miss them.

Oh wait, you have to be registered to search..........

#1903843 - 03/10/14 06:05 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

#1903846 - 03/10/14 06:11 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Awww Ed, here I was just trying to encourage them to get engaged. smile

#1903870 - 03/10/14 06:42 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
On a very practical end of this conversation, discuss with your insurance company. Our insurance carrier had determined there is some liability in posting the signs, because it gives all clients a 'safe harbor' feeling that we are actively ensuring nobody is carrying a gun on our property.

Since we all agree in these posts that it is impossible to know, what happens if someone gets shot on our property and claims it is our fault because we had signs up saying we didn't allow guns in the bank? The insurance company urged us to reconsider.

We had posted, and now don't. That being said, our employee handbook still says no for the staff.

#1903872 - 03/10/14 06:46 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
In 20+ years of carying the only day I left mine at home was the day they tried to rob our bank. I have never forgotten it since.

It's posts like this that worry me. What would you have done if you'd had your weapon the day the robber entered? You don't have to answer, but I just want people to think about what others with a CC weapon might do in such a situation and why it may be a safer option to put that sign up and prohibit it altogether.

Innerpartysystem

#1903874 - 03/10/14 06:48 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Beagles22
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: Beagle Queen
what happens if someone gets shot on our property and claims it is our fault because we had signs up saying we didn't allow guns in the bank?

I don't get your insurance company's logic at all.

Innerpartysystem

#1903879 - 03/10/14 06:55 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My take was that if someone who usually carries gets shot, they have a claim because the outcome may have been different had they had their gun.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#1903883 - 03/10/14 06:58 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I guess I can see that. I think it's much more likely a place would get sued because there was NO sign, meaning they are bascially allowing others to carry guns on their property. But, that's the perspective of someone who'd never carry a gun. Maybe it's different for those that do. Thanks for offering another viewpoint, Joker. smile

Innerpartysystem

#1903885 - 03/10/14 07:01 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs manimal
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By: manimal
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
In 20+ years of carying the only day I left mine at home was the day they tried to rob our bank. I have never forgotten it since.

It's posts like this that worry me. What would you have done if you'd had your weapon the day the robber entered? You don't have to answer, but I just want people to think about what others with a CC weapon might do in such a situation and why it may be a safer option to put that sign up and prohibit it altogether.

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I saw this post. I carry at times but I NEVER EVER EVER want to be responsible for taking a life. At the same time I will not allow anything to happen to my family if I can prevent it.

In regards to money or material things I say who cares... take my watch at wallet but don't touch my family.

#1903915 - 03/10/14 07:40 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs RR Joker
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
My take was that if someone who usually carries gets shot, they have a claim because the outcome may have been different had they had their gun.

That is exactly one way they pointed out why they did not want us to post. Here is a good article that talks about the liability issues that MAY come up, of course until our state has case law to back it up it is all a guessing game.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?97657-Posting-no-guns-signs-carries-liability

But the new law raises several questions about liabilities and insurance coverage if someone is injured by a concealed weapon brought onto the property.

“Property owners or occupants who do not prohibit an individual from carrying a concealed weapon on their premises are immune from any liability arising from their decision,” says Ron Von Haden, CIC, Executive Vice President of the Professional Insurance Agents of Wisconsin (PIAW). “Conversely, if a business prohibits concealed carry, it may be accepting some liability for the actions of customers and employees arising from the use of a concealed weapon.”

If a business doesn’t prohibit concealed carry and an employee brings a weapon to work and that weapon falls on the floor, discharging and wounding a customer, the business owner is “immune from any liability arising out of its decision” under the law.

However, if the business prohibits weapons, then it has no such immunity. So the customer could presumably sue the business for negligence in failing to enforce its no weapons policy.

#1903922 - 03/10/14 07:47 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Obviously BQ you are just relaying information, so my post isn't directed at you in any way, but that (the legal 'argument' presented) is just about the dumbest thing i've ever read.

#1903926 - 03/10/14 08:03 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I'm with you, raitchjay. That is so backwards.

So if we post a "No hoods, No sunglasses" sign, and someone gets hurt with their hood up on bank property, we are liable? Because we didn't enforce our "No hoods" policy?

That's how I relate this logic.
Last edited by manimal; 03/10/14 08:06 PM.

Innerpartysystem

#1903928 - 03/10/14 08:04 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. NOt at all what went through my mind when I posted what I did...in fact, the exact opposite I think. crazy

#1903930 - 03/10/14 08:08 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Or if a visitor to my home tries to show me his weapon and i say "hey, i'd appreciate it if you leave that in your vehicle....i don't really want that in my home", and later we are attacked by a burglar......my guest can sue me because i didn't allow his gun in my home?

#1903949 - 03/10/14 08:33 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs raitchjay
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Obviously BQ you are just relaying information, so my post isn't directed at you in any way, but that (the legal 'argument' presented) is just about the dumbest thing i've ever read.

What do you expect?! It comes from a lawyer

#1903952 - 03/10/14 08:34 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Where my thoughts were would be that if you posted a sign prohibiting concealed weapons and I leave mine in the car, because I'm a law abiding citizen...the bank is robbed while I'm inside and I get shot.

If I had my gun on me, I might not have gotten shot, I might have shot the robber instead.

THIS I understand. That up there? Not so much.

#1903955 - 03/10/14 08:40 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
Banks are allowed to not allow firearms.....while it's the law in some states that you can carry (openly or concealed), it's also obviously allowed that places of business (or individuals in their own homes, as in my example) can state that they do not want firearms on their premises.....so in that blog example linked above, i totally did not get, nor agree with, the idea of "when in doubt, just follow the law"....it's also the law that allows individuals or businesses to disallow firearms on their property.

#1904183 - 03/11/14 04:53 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I agree with you all. We posted, and then the insurance company came back at us with a liability angle - and then I think a few customers had words with a few officers and here we are today - not posted. You are right though - just relaying information, not my personal opinion.

Not to sound political at all, but I do look forward to the outcome of the Florida law suit of a banker that is suing her bank for firing her for carrying her weapon even though their employment rules said she couldn't. I don't have an opinion on this yet, just curious as I know many banks including mine that have that in our handbooks.

#1904303 - 03/11/14 07:25 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
^ BQ - Would you happen to have a link about that particular court case?

#1904309 - 03/11/14 07:34 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs ACBbank
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC

#1904323 - 03/11/14 08:05 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Thank you Cowboys Fan.

#1904356 - 03/11/14 08:50 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Wow. So owners of private property can't say "No guns on my property" now? smh.

Innerpartysystem

#1904369 - 03/11/14 09:15 PM Re: Concealed Carry in FIs Anonymous
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I am sorry ABC, was away but see Cowboy took care of me. All things to consider when making decisions, bad news is I don't feel like I helped the OP much, but it is such a grey area.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale