Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1904771 - 03/12/14 10:52 PM Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions?
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
My husband and I are taking our 4 kids to Hawaii in April for the first time. We are going to Oahu and staying in the Waikiki area. Kids ages 23, 21, 18 & 13. Action is the word! Suggestions of things to do?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1904782 - 03/12/14 11:54 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
It's in Maui, but biking down Mt. Haleakala is loads of fun.
Helicoptering over the active volcano is also great, I have pictures of a lava stream overtaking a tree, street signs sticking up out of hardened lava.

Return to Top
#1904795 - 03/13/14 03:50 AM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Bring lots of money. smile

Surfing, kayaking, snorkeling, hike up Diamond Head.

And everyone should see the USS Arizona memorial at Pearl Harbor.

Return to Top
#1904814 - 03/13/14 12:41 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Deep Sea Fishing is some of the best in the world out of Oahu.

Free Fireworks on Friday nights at one of the hotels

Dole Plantation, Macadamia Nut Plantation, Dukes Seafood, hit the Bonzai Pipeline on the North Shore.

Return to Top
#1904827 - 03/13/14 01:10 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
We stayed on Oahu and we also did a submarine tour off right off of Waikiki Beach near the Hilton Hotel. We did the Dole Plantation, a luau one night (that was awesome), toured thenorth shore. We went to the Pearl Harbor USS Arizona memorial, there is a national cemetary. We rented a car and for an island that is less than 50 miles across, we put almost 500 miles on it in 10 days. We had an awesome time. It as just my husband and myself and another couple, no children. Our timeshare had a private beach, so one day we just hung out there. We did find a tiny little restaurant near our timeshare that we had breakfast at the second day, it ended up we went there most days for breakfast. Food was awesome. It was like a place for 'the regulars'. One morning there was a Harley Davidson meeting, the parking lots was filled with bikes. We walked in to a crowd in their biker attire, looking like the tourists that we were, at first feeling kinda out of place, but everyone we came in contact was super nice. We went to a giant flea market at the Aloha Stadium. It was a great time. Hope you have fun!
Last edited by JWills; 03/13/14 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1904837 - 03/13/14 01:27 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
+1 for visiting the Arizona Memorial. It was a weird feeling seeing someone with my family name listed there, even though I knew it wasn't a relative. (My grandfather served in Japan during the occupation.)

Return to Top
#1904842 - 03/13/14 01:33 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Xian Ngyuen
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
How can you be sure that it is not a long forgotten relative unless you have a more common last name like Roberts or something. smile

CAMS

Return to Top
#1904847 - 03/13/14 01:37 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
_erica_ Offline
_erica_
Margaritaville
I used to live on Kauai, and have a ton of secret spots. But they aren't tourist-y so wouldn't have the fun things for family to do. They are mainly just nice hidden beaches. smile You will have a BLAST! I am jealous.

Return to Top
#1904849 - 03/13/14 01:42 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Stay away from Malaysian Airlines

Return to Top
#1904895 - 03/13/14 02:27 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? edAudit
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
How can you be sure that it is not a long forgotten relative unless you have a more common last name like Roberts or something. smile

What was Ken's last name?

Return to Top
#1904901 - 03/13/14 02:32 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

as in "The Dread Pirate Roberts?" How cool...

Return to Top
#1904912 - 03/13/14 02:39 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
One thing that you can do on Waikiki is take an outrigger canoe ride. The group helps paddle out and then the canoe rides a wave in towards shore like someone surfing. When we did it, we got a ride on three waves and someone takes pictures of the group as part of the package. I still use the picture of our family with Diamond Head in the background as the photo for the desktop on my computer.

Return to Top
#1904930 - 03/13/14 02:59 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Hawaii is one of the places I have no desire to visit

Return to Top
#1904931 - 03/13/14 03:01 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? HappyGilmore
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

I totally agree with this. I don't see what the allure is. Fly half way across the world to experience one of the highest poverty levels, lowest education levels, and the weather that is available in several places on the mainland.

Great. No thanks.

Return to Top
#1904936 - 03/13/14 03:03 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
gacompliancegirl Offline
100 Club
hanging on by a thread
My brother is stationed at Pearl Harbor and we visited last year. We did the submarine tour off of Wakiki, Dole Plantation, a luau (which wasn't as great as I thought it would be) and visited the Arizona Memorial (there is LOTS to do - plan for a whole day). We also drove around the island to see the North Shore. I felt like the prettiest beaches were on the east side of the Island. Becuase he is military we were able to go on the Air Force base for our "beach time", but the public beaches over on that side were beautiful, too. There were lots of hiking opportunities all over the island - get a guide book to find the one that best suits your group. And don't miss the Fine A$$ Chocolates over on the east side of the island. The name of the store and the candies are funny, but that chocolate is no joke! Have a great time!!

Return to Top
#1904971 - 03/13/14 03:35 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Ted Dreyer
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Ted Dreyer
One thing that you can do on Waikiki is take an outrigger canoe ride. The group helps paddle out and then the canoe rides a wave in towards shore like someone surfing. When we did it, we got a ride on three waves and someone takes pictures of the group as part of the package. I still use the picture of our family with Diamond Head in the background as the photo for the desktop on my computer.

That actually sounds like something I'd like to try.

Return to Top
#1905020 - 03/13/14 04:15 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Where on the mainland can you get the same experiance as Hawaii?

I went to Islands of Maui and O'ahu. The weather was perfect everyday. Great food! Prices were higher, but not outrageous.

Great Golf, and best of all NO SNAKES!

Return to Top
#1905029 - 03/13/14 04:21 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? DD Regs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: DD Regs

Bayonne NJ laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1905030 - 03/13/14 04:21 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Pearl Habor was special for me since my Grandfather was there during the attack. Toured the Missouri, the Arizona, and then took a bus tour of the island. Visited the punch bowl crater.

Walked up to and through Diamond Head.

Really enjoyed it, may go back someday to see the main island, and have some friend who just moved to Maui.

Return to Top
#1905401 - 03/14/14 02:37 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? DD Regs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I went to Islands of Maui and O'ahu. The weather was perfect everyday. Great food! Prices were higher, but not outrageous.

Not a beach person, don't play golf, just not a place I want to go. I'd rather spend the same amount of money and go to Europe...i'll include Ireland because they have no snakes either. (and I have friends that own a B&B in Hawaii, so i have a free place to stay...no thanks, not my thing).

Return to Top
#1905415 - 03/14/14 02:47 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Originally Posted By: Snowgirl
My husband and I are taking our 4 kids to Hawaii in April for the first time. We are going to Oahu and staying in the Waikiki area. Kids ages 23, 21, 18 & 13. Action is the word! Suggestions of things to do?

Adopt me so I can go. laugh

Return to Top
#1905419 - 03/14/14 02:50 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle

Not a beach person, don't play golf, just not a place I want to go. I'd rather spend the same amount of money and go to Europe...i'll include Ireland because they have no snakes either. (and I have friends that own a B&B in Hawaii, so i have a free place to stay...no thanks, not my thing).

Ireland is on my bucket list, too. Hawaii was just simply beautiful, as I am sure a Caribbean island trip would be. Not a beach guy either, other than taking in the scenery, if you know what I mean.

Return to Top
#1905421 - 03/14/14 02:53 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
What kind of scenery would you expect on a beach in Hawaii? whistle

Return to Top
#1905429 - 03/14/14 02:56 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? HappyGilmore
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois

I've been twice, and I'd go back in a heartbeat, if I got cheap airfare. I've never been to Oahu, so I can't help with the topic, but we've been to Lanai for a week and to Maui for two weeks. Maui is an incredible island. It's so lush on the northeast coast, but you can find a desert of black lava in the south.

Return to Top
#1905441 - 03/14/14 03:13 PM Re: Taking my family to Hawaii - suggestions? Snowgirl
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Pearl Harbor for the Arizona memorial.
Aloha Stadium for the flea market. You can get all your touristy souvenirs cheaper there than the International Marketplace (which is in Waikiki, still worth a walk through though!).
Surfing, you can rent boards right on the beach in Waikiki. You could check with the hotel and see if they offer board rentals and lessons.
Go up to North Shore. Waves won't be huge in April, but still cool to see. Stop by Matsumoto for shave ice. Make sure you buy a pineapple from a roadside stand! Best pineapple on the island and they will cut it up for you right there.
Koa Pancake House in Kaneohe if you make it up that way. Or Wailana Café in Waikiki. Wonder if they still have all you can eat pancakes... Best deal in Waikiki! And they have an awesome coconut syrup!
Hike Diamondhead. Beautiful view from the top.
I personally would tour University of Hawaii at Manoa campus, but mostly because I graduated from there and would love to see it again! While you are up that way, you can hike Manoa Falls too.
I'm sure I'll think of more, but those are the big, have-to-do-touristy things I can think of.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2