Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1906072 - 03/17/14 07:28 PM Tearing down building - obtain flood insurance?
AnotherDayinParadise Offline
100 Club
NE
Scenario: Borrowers are building a new home. The property they will build on has several old out buildings. The far west building is showing in the flood zone. The borrowers are tearing down all the buildings on this property prior to construction, and the new property will be built on the part of the land that is not in the flood zone.
Question: Do they have to tear down the buildings BEFORE the loan closes so we don't have to get flood insurance on the one building in a flood zone? Or can the the loan close without flood insurance because we will document the loan file that the buildings are being torn down before construction of the new home begins (after closing)?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#1906073 - 03/17/14 07:31 PM Re: Tearing down building - obtain flood insurance? AnotherDayinParadise
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Yes - if you close and there is one building within an SFHA you must have insurance prior to closing the loan. Suggest the building be torn down before you close the loan - or leave it off of your mortgage.

Return to Top
#1906084 - 03/17/14 07:40 PM Re: Tearing down building - obtain flood insurance? Skittles
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
Talk to your attorney. You may be able to exempt the buildings from your lien so you are lending on land only.

You will probably have to refinance the construction loan lien (not modify the lien).

Al

Return to Top