BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1906565 - 03/19/14 12:49 PM Law Enforcement Request
Not a Fan Offline
100 Club
Not a Fan
Tennessee
I have a law enforcement detective wanting ATM video pictures from a non-customer suspected of fraud. What documentation do I need from him before I get this such as subpoena , court order etc or since it is a non-customer do I need this? Thanks!

Return to Top
#1906912 - 03/19/14 09:26 PM Re: Law Enforcement Request Not a Fan
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Not everyone is going to agree but I require a subpoena, search warrant or similar document unless the bank is the victim. I used to have to argue with law enforcement every time they wanted something. About 10 years ago I asked the board to adopt a policy. Now I just hand them a copy of the policy and that's the end of the argument.

Return to Top
#1906919 - 03/19/14 09:35 PM Re: Law Enforcement Request Not a Fan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless the bank is victim of the fraud, I agree.

Return to Top
#1907063 - 03/20/14 03:22 PM Re: Law Enforcement Request Not a Fan
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The only other exception would be if you had filed a SAR on something like an embezzlement conducted through the bank's accounts where the victim is a bank's business customer, even though the bank wasn't the target of the fraud and lost no money. If you file a SAR, the documents, reports, etc., you retain in-house as part of the SAR source file are subject to being provided to LE without a legal document compelling the sharing.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Lestie G