Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1906641 - 03/19/14 02:44 PM check payable to Ms. Customer b/o Joanne Smith
Banker Babe Offline
New Poster
I have a customer that would like to deposit a check payable as follows.

Ms. Customer
B/O Joanne Smith

She states that Joanne Smith is deceased and this is her inheritance from her deceased aunts (Joanne Smith's)IRA.

Should we allow our customer to deposit such an item?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1906677 - 03/19/14 03:19 PM Re: check payable to Ms. Customer b/o Joanne Smith Banker Babe
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I'm not familiar with "B/O" as anything with special meaning on a check. Do you trust your customer? Good history, and all that? I'd try to verify funds if you could, and check for an obituary online, but I don't know that I'd have much reservation about it assuming I knew the customer and trusted them. Unless we're talking a million dollar check or something smile

Return to Top
#1906688 - 03/19/14 03:42 PM Re: check payable to Ms. Customer b/o Joanne Smith Banker Babe
Cbecotte Offline
Massachusetts
I would assume that "B/O" would mean "beneficiary of" which would fit with her story about her Aunt's IRA.

Return to Top
#1906925 - 03/19/14 09:46 PM Re: check payable to Ms. Customer b/o Joanne Smith Banker Babe
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
We use B/O when issuing distribution checks to beneficiaries to give us a stronger audit trail back to the decedent's IRA. The UCC does not recognize the legend as a restriction on the payee therefor the BOFD has no duty to verify that the decedent is, in fact, deceased.

Return to Top
#1906958 - 03/20/14 12:03 PM Re: check payable to Ms. Customer b/o Joanne Smith Banker Babe
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The correct title of the inherited IRA would be "Ms. Customer, beneficiary, Joanne Smith, IRA." The IRA custodian has wrongly decided that it should carry over the name of the account to the check it issued as a distribution; i.e. the check should have just been payable to "Ms. Customer," the rest of the verbiage is surplus.

Return to Top
#1907826 - 03/21/14 08:54 PM Re: check payable to Ms. Customer b/o Joanne Smith Cbecotte
Banker Babe Offline
New Poster
After further investigating I think you are correct and it stands for Beneficiary of. Unfortunately the Rep I spoke with from the paying company didn't realize that either.
Last edited by Banker Babe; 03/21/14 08:55 PM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett