BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#191008 - 05/17/04 08:59 PM Funny Stories
Peanut Offline
100 Club
Peanut
Midwest
How about some funny bank stories. I’ll bet there are enough out there to fill a book. Here’s mine.

In the good old days I worked as a teller. It was summer time and the town was having all of its downtown streets and sidewalks redone. Of course this ended up being one of the rainiest summers we ever had. To get from the street into the buildings without being totally cover in mud the construction guys put wood planks down for sidewalks. It was difficult for us spring chickens but for the older folks it was nearly impossible. One particular customer we had and still do by the way had a number of medical problems but sure enjoyed his visits with all the employees and made a regular visit to the bank at least once a week. In order to be as helpful as possible to this sweet old guy we started helping him in and out of the bank. I should mention that several years before he had a leg amputated. So anyway he comes to my window, we transact his business and I ask if he needed help to his vehicle. “Oh, thank you, yes I sure would” he replied. So off we went, we got half way to his pickup when he began to lose his balance. We teetered for a few moments and the next thing I knew I was laying on the ground in the mud with my customer sprawled on top of me. After a few moments of flailing about in the mud, I was able to get to my feet, (thank goodness he wasn’t a big man) by that time the construction guys were on the scene and we finally got him into his pickup. I’ll never forget looking around to see if anyone else had witness our mishap. As I looked at the bank building I could see a number of co-workers at the windows clenching their stomachs, and slapping their legs in total delight.

When we say we’re a full service bank we mean it.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#191009 - 05/17/04 09:08 PM Re: Funny Stories
Anonymous
Unregistered

At a meeting last week, a bank security officer was talking about auditing bait money at the branches. At one branch, he discovered a real need for additional training when he asked several tellers to produce their bait money and they each pulled out from their drawers white envelopes that their supervisor had given them with the words "bait money" written on the front. The supervisor had said "This is your bait money. Keep it in your teller drawer." They did just what she said!

Return to Top
#191010 - 05/17/04 09:21 PM Re: Funny Stories
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Well, a long time ago, when I was a CSR (I was probably all of 23 years old)in a branch, one of our customers with her almost senile mother were in the lobby. The older woman found a purse left on a chair and came into the new accts area with it and said she found it in the lobby. I asked her if she had any idea who it belonged to? She started hitting me with it and kept shouting, "You think I am a thief?", the branch mgr whispered "Get out of here!" to me. To the end of my career there, I always hid when I saw her coming...

Return to Top
#191011 - 05/17/04 09:33 PM Re: Funny Stories
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I think I've told this one before, but here's the short version:

I declined a loan to a gentleman who had a weak grasp on reality. I knew that when I was the unlucky sucker to take the application, but unfortunately I was the slowest (I hadn't dove under my desk yet) so it was mine to process. I worried he'd be approved (there was NO WAY I was notarizing his signature saying he understood what he was doing) but fortunately he was declined.

I let him down with my usual understanding and grace (I'd recently taken the class "Getting to NO") and he told me he understood. He walked half way out of the lobby and I sat down relieved when he suddenly turned and started taking his cloths off as he approached my desk. He yelled, "YOU'RE NOT GOING TO EMBARESS ME THIS WAY!!! I CAN DO BETTER MYSELF!!" as he jumped naked onto my desk and started quacking like a duck.

And this folks, is a true story! Not as fun as the time he came into the branch and started throwing eggs at us, but darned close Gad I miss dealing with clients....

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#191012 - 05/17/04 09:36 PM Re: Funny Stories
Pippi Offline
100 Club
Pippi
Speaking of hiding from customers...At the branch where I first was a teller, We had a deli close by that was a customer of ours and they had a large woman "with a same sex preference" who worked for them and made their deposits. She took a liking to me and started bringing me soup when she came to get change. That's when I started hiding whenever we saw her coming. The other tellers would actually warn me to get in the vault when they saw her in the parking lot. One day she almost snuck in without someone catching it, and at the last minute the vault teller signaled me and I hid in the first place I could find...under my male co-workers station at the teller line where I happened to be standing! He thought it was hilarious to be helping customers while I was sitting under his computer, and I had to stay there until the branch was clear so that no-one would get the wrong impression if I stood up from underneath his desk!

Return to Top
#191013 - 05/17/04 09:40 PM Re: Funny Stories
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
So did he get to keep the soup?

Return to Top
#191014 - 05/17/04 09:46 PM Re: Funny Stories
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

So did he get to keep the soup?

Yeah, who got to eat the soup?

Return to Top
#191015 - 05/17/04 09:49 PM Re: Funny Stories
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Pip--Just so you know, I'm tucking this one away for future reference.

Return to Top
#191016 - 05/17/04 09:57 PM Re: Funny Stories
Pippi Offline
100 Club
Pippi
No, he didn't get the soup... But he did call my honey and tell him I had just spent the last 15 minutes under his desk!
and Jeremy... trust me, there's plenty more where that came from!

Return to Top
#191017 - 05/17/04 10:00 PM Re: Funny Stories
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
I think we're ready for Pippi, Part II.

Return to Top
#191018 - 05/17/04 10:11 PM Re: Funny Stories
Pippi Offline
100 Club
Pippi
How about the time I emailed my honey on Halloween with, "Good Morning my sexy, swashbuckling Muskateer!"...and then sent it to the Pres. of one of our branches, whose shares the same fist name as my honey, and who's name is right above his on the email address list!

Return to Top
#191019 - 05/18/04 12:32 AM Re: Funny Stories
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
LMAO Pippi! Did he start bringing you soup?

Return to Top
#191020 - 05/18/04 12:43 AM Re: Funny Stories
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Now, that's a good question! LMAO!!

Return to Top
#191021 - 05/18/04 12:49 AM Re: Funny Stories
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I can't beat Pipi's story but I did have an embarassing moment when I was a bank examiner (don't worry, I have completed the 12 step program of recovery). I was talking to a board member of one of our larger banks. I was in my 30s and had braces (a late bloomer). As I talked to him, a rubber band popped off my braces and popped him in the face. He pretended like he didn't notice, I sure didn't point it out. I avoided him after that.

Return to Top
#191022 - 05/18/04 03:19 PM Re: Funny Stories
Pippi Offline
100 Club
Pippi
Hey, you guys are giving me some good ideas for free lunches!

Return to Top
#191023 - 05/18/04 04:28 PM Re: Funny Stories
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

Well, a long time ago, when I was a CSR (I was probably all of 23 years old)in a branch, one of our customers with her almost senile mother were in the lobby. The older woman found a purse left on a chair and came into the new accts area with it and said she found it in the lobby. I asked her if she had any idea who it belonged to? She started hitting me with it and kept shouting, "You think I am a thief?", the branch mgr whispered "Get out of here!" to me. To the end of my career there, I always hid when I saw her coming...

Of course, you are only 25 years old now! Right?

Return to Top
#191024 - 05/18/04 04:30 PM Re: Funny Stories
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
When we first started doing things with Privacy and our customers first received their notices, we had one old gentleman asking me to remove the account number from his checks.

Return to Top
#191025 - 05/18/04 04:32 PM Re: Funny Stories
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

When we first started doing things with Privacy and our customers first received their notices, we had one old gentleman asking me to remove the account number from his checks.

God that's kinda funny... Can you put someone ELSES account number on MY checks?

Return to Top
#191026 - 05/18/04 05:35 PM Re: Funny Stories
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Actually, I'm not sure it was too funny....I had one heck of a time trying to explain to him that we could not do that........

Return to Top
#191027 - 05/18/04 06:02 PM Re: Funny Stories
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Actually, I'm not sure it was too funny....I had one heck of a time trying to explain to him that we could not do that........

But that's EXACTLY what makes it funny FOR EVERYONE ELSE!

Return to Top
#191028 - 05/18/04 06:13 PM Re: Funny Stories
carrieb Offline
100 Club
Minneapolis
Quote:

I can't beat Pipi's story but I did have an embarassing moment when I was a bank examiner (don't worry, I have completed the 12 step program of recovery). I was talking to a board member of one of our larger banks. I was in my 30s and had braces (a late bloomer). As I talked to him, a rubber band popped off my braces and popped him in the face. He pretended like he didn't notice, I sure didn't point it out. I avoided him after that.

LOL...........Literally

Return to Top
#191029 - 05/18/04 06:21 PM Re: Funny Stories
Pippi Offline
100 Club
Pippi
I once had a customer yell at me because we put her acct number underneath her endorsement on the checks she deposited. She said she didn't want those people to have her account number. I had to explain that every time she wrote someone a check, they had her account number...

Return to Top
#191030 - 05/18/04 06:49 PM Re: Funny Stories
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
This isn't a bank story but I have to tell it. When I was younger I worked at a very large private home improvement store chain. The owner would occassionally go from store to store to check on the employees and if he didn't like what they were doing he would fire them on the spot. Well one day he was in my store and one person was goofing around behind his back with some kid. The owner turned around and was furious. So he fired the man on the spot. Unfortunately, the man was a customer not an employee. The best part was the customer let him have it. That made everyone's day.

Return to Top
#191031 - 05/18/04 09:16 PM Re: Funny Stories
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

Of course, you are only 25 years old now! Right?

Bless you, child...

Return to Top