Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1912988 - 04/09/14 03:52 PM can we ask a question about check memo line
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
well - we saw one of our not for profits had a check clear with something that looks bad on the memo line - like maybe the check was not written for acceptable not for profit mission type purpose.
my question is - is the memo line of a check something we can call the customer about - "I see you issued ck #xx with a memo explanation of _________, are you sure about this?"
do banks do this, call customers about the memo explanataion of the check purpose?"

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1913000 - 04/09/14 04:02 PM Re: can we ask a question about check memo line Burgess
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I would highly doubt anyone would spend time or resources on something like this. If a customer writes "for cocaine purchase" on the memo line, you can be pretty darn sure they weren't serious. And for a non-profit, you're not in a position to police the types of transactions they are doing.

Unless it's something that would make you consider a SAR, which you could back up by unusual activity on the account, there wouldn't seem to be any reason to me that you would want to even spend another moment thinking about it. Do you also review business accounts and evaluate if their debit card purchases might actually be personal purchases, then call them to waive the flag? I would consider this comparable.

But I guess to answer the question of "can" you? Sure, I don't know why you couldn't. I just wouldn't expect to get anything productive out of it.

Return to Top
#1913005 - 04/09/14 04:15 PM Re: can we ask a question about check memo line Burgess
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
You can ask a customer anything you want. If something seems unusual, sometimes the best course of action is to ask the customer. There may actually be a legitimate reason for whatever issue you see.

Return to Top
#1913018 - 04/09/14 04:31 PM Re: can we ask a question about check memo line Burgess
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You can ask anything you want of any customer you want. It's not so much what they say as how they say it that may yield some insight. Rita Crundwell's bank certainly wishes they had asked her about some city expenditures that were questionable.

Return to Top
#1913020 - 04/09/14 04:36 PM Re: can we ask a question about check memo line Burgess
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I would ask and depending on the outcome (and what was written) they may be a former customer.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1913302 - 04/10/14 01:32 PM Re: can we ask a question about check memo line Elwood P. Dowd
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
thanks everyone - and that was a great link from Ken Pegasus on this issue.

Return to Top
#1913630 - 04/10/14 08:42 PM Re: can we ask a question about check memo line Burgess
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, please don't ever look at any check i've written to one of my siblings...the memo line is nothing but a joke

Return to Top
#1913642 - 04/10/14 08:56 PM Re: can we ask a question about check memo line Burgess
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
Happy, you should pay them in Bitcoins instead.

Return to Top
#1913648 - 04/10/14 09:03 PM Re: can we ask a question about check memo line devsfan
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
either that pr cash that he withdrew in amounts of $9,999.00 over 5 consecutive days laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1915148 - 04/16/14 09:35 PM Re: can we ask a question about check memo line Burgess
C-Lo Offline
Ohio
Matt_B - While we don't specifically evaluate for the item you mentioned, if we saw this type of activity in the course of an EDD review, i.e. business-type transactions occurring in a personal account, we'd reach out to the customer. Likewise, if we saw personal expeditures on a business account, we'd reach out. Both may be indicative of something not right.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z