Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1913441 - 04/10/14 03:58 PM Styling Property Management Accts - HELP!
Becky Offline
100 Club
Becky
Dallas, Texas
We have always styled accounts opened by property management companies for their clients as follows:

(Property Legal Name) by
XYZ Property Management Inc as Agent

We use the TIN of the property. We've had numerous legal opinions from attorneys all telling us this was kosher. Both from an FDIC coverage standpoint, as well as a BSA perspective since we know who the benefical owner of the funds is, even if they don't have access to the funds.

Now we've gotten another opinion from an attorney who believes that we should open the accounts in the name of the management company only, use the TIN of the management company, and not reference anywhere in the account styling the name of the actual property owner. That just seems shady to me.
Last edited by Becky; 04/10/14 03:59 PM.
Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1913541 - 04/10/14 06:21 PM Re: Styling Property Management Accts - HELP! Becky
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
We have property management accounts styled in the name of the property management company using their TIN. However it state the customer the funds are for - is XYZ property management Inc for ABC Apartments...... This wasy we know our customer - XYZ Management and they can identify the funds for their clients.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1913548 - 04/10/14 06:31 PM Re: Styling Property Management Accts - HELP! Becky
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
Now we've gotten another opinion from an attorney...

You mean a written opinion or something off the cuff?

Return to Top
#1913579 - 04/10/14 07:15 PM Re: Styling Property Management Accts - HELP! Elwood P. Dowd
Becky Offline
100 Club
Becky
Dallas, Texas
a written opinion

Return to Top
#1913582 - 04/10/14 07:28 PM Re: Styling Property Management Accts - HELP! Becky
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
For several reasons based on UCC and BSA considerations as well as teller training, I agree with the advice you received the first time. However, I don't know what alternative rationale this lawyer offered and, accordingly, cannot second guess it.

I suggest you go with the opinion of whoever it is that would represent your bank in court.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett