Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1915142 - 04/16/14 09:14 PM Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI
Anonymous
Unregistered

A member had an unauthorized transaction on their account from a local utility company. They did contact us after they received their statement, but they only requested some more information in order to handle it with the utility company on their own. By the time they came back to us because the utility company couldn't release any information, the 60 day time period has passed.

I tried to contact the utility company on behalf of our member and did find that the name on their account for this transaction is not our member, but they said the only way they can open a dispute/refund our member is on the basis of the transaction being returned.

I contacted the ODFI to do a late return (we are a small financial institution, and we have never had to do this before) and was told to fax over a letter of request for proof of authorization and request that the funds be returned. Is there a standard type form for this letter? I'm not sure what information needs to go in this letter. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1915213 - 04/17/14 01:38 PM Re: Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI Anonymous
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
There is no standard form for the letter. I recommend you include the date and amount of the transaction, the name of your member from the ACH record of the transaction, and any utility company account number information you might be able to glean from the ACH record. Ask for a copy of the authorization to be faxes back to you, or, if no such record can be obtained from the Originator, an authorization to make a late return of the debit entry. Include contact information in the signature block in case the ODFI needs to follow up with you.
Bankers' Threads User #8

#1915217 - 04/17/14 01:45 PM Re: Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks so much!

#2122558 - 03/17/17 09:23 PM Re: Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI John Burnett
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there a time line that they have to respond with the Proof of Authorization?

#2122588 - 03/20/17 12:55 PM Re: Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
they have 10 banking days per NACHA rules...Article 2.3.2.5(b)

#2247768 - 01/16/21 05:31 AM Re: Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI HappyGilmore
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there any recourse if there is no response to a poa request?

#2247834 - 01/19/21 09:30 PM Re: Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI Anonymous
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
yes, file a rules violation claim with Nacha.

#2247839 - 01/19/21 09:38 PM Re: Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think they have 20 days under the COVID temporary rules.

#2248445 - 01/31/21 06:45 PM Re: Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI HappyGilmore
Anonymous
Unregistered

But a rules violation doesn’t help for the specific transaction being disputed. I have a $300,000 transaction that the ODFI has ignored 4 written attempts and 3 phone calls.

#2248449 - 02/01/21 11:39 AM Re: Request for Proof of Authorization from ODFI Anonymous
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
For that amount of money, I assume you have engaged competent legal council, which is what should have probably happened prior to the first attempt. And definitely happened prior to the second attempt. Anything we have to offer is going to be pretty meaningless.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale