GeoDataVision
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#191521 - 05/18/04 08:28 PM Letters Testamentary - expire
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Does anyone know how long Letters Testamentary are good for - 18 months, 24 months, eternal?
Is it by State Probate Code, or is it uniform in every state?

Thanks

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#191522 - 05/18/04 08:45 PM Re: Letters Testamentary - expire
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Just from a practical standpoint, I'd think they'd be valid until the estate was settled.....

Rarely, we see "temporary" Letters Testamentary, that have an expiration date. I can only guess that there was an urgent need to settle some portion of the estate while the final Letters were being processed through the court. But those are very clearly marked as "temporary" and have a specific expiration.

As this is Probate, it will probably vary by state. I'm in Calif.

Return to Top
#191523 - 05/18/04 09:23 PM Re: Letters Testamentary - expire
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
My wife is currently an executrix and if I recall, the letters of testamentary issued to her were actually only good for 6 months. I believe it indicated that on the letters. I'm not sure if it's a local jurisidictional thing or if it's statewide in Texas.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett