Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#191524 - 05/18/04 08:31 PM affair
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get ready this is complicated. i have a friend that finally got her divorce two weeks ago. For the last 5/6 years she has been having an affair with her brother in-law. Brother-inlaw wanted everyone to know. Left her letter of breaking up in his car and his wife (who was her best friend at one time) found letter. She told ex and he wants the children to know. ages 10/6. I think that they are to young to grasp the reality. It is their uncle we are talking about. What a tangled web that has been spun. Any suggestions?

Return to Top
#191525 - 05/18/04 08:39 PM Re: affair
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Major couseling for all involved. What a sad situation for these children.

Return to Top
#191526 - 05/18/04 08:39 PM Re: affair
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forgive my levity (because I don't have any helpful suggestions), but I might suggest a letter to the Jerry Springer show. (as I said, forgive my levity - certainly not trying to make light of the situation)
Last edited by CubDave; 05/18/04 08:41 PM.
Return to Top
#191527 - 05/18/04 08:41 PM Re: affair
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Yikes!! Let's leave the kids out of details here. They only need to know that their parents are getting divorced and that they each still love both the kids very much. Anything else will breed hatred, and hatred in children is not right.

And, yes, counselling will do everyone involved a world of good....as long as they do it willingly.

Return to Top
#191528 - 05/18/04 08:43 PM Re: affair
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
My children are 9 and 6 and they had a difficult enough time understanding that Mom and Dad can't live together any more but we both still love them more than anything. We told them about going to counseling and trying to work things out, but that's it. That's all I feel they need to know.

Return to Top
#191529 - 05/18/04 08:45 PM Re: affair
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Leave the kids out of it. They do not need to know this. Good luck, and ditto the counseling suggestion.

Return to Top
#191530 - 05/18/04 08:50 PM Re: affair
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I'll add that it seems as if the ex is just bitter and wants to hurt the woman the way she has hurt him, by turning the kids against her. A child's opinion of his parent is key in raising a good kid. If they lose respect for a parent, they'll likely withdraw and develop trust issues that could last a lifetime. Although the bitterness is to be expected, using the kids in this manner is ill-advised and can do no good whatsoever.

Return to Top
#191531 - 05/18/04 08:56 PM Re: affair
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

I'll add that it seems as if the ex is just bitter and wants to hurt the woman the way she has hurt him, by turning the kids against her. A child's opinion of his parent is key in raising a good kid. If they lose respect for a parent, they'll likely withdraw and develop trust issues that could last a lifetime. Although the bitterness is to be expected, using the kids in this manner is ill-advised and can do no good whatsoever.

I agree. Besides using kids in this way may backfire in his face.......

Return to Top
#191532 - 05/18/04 09:28 PM Re: affair
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I think I have to agree with everyone. First, counseling, then Jerry Springer (that money can go to their collegge funds) and telling the kids is not only unnecessary, it's darned right childish to do it. Using children in a divorce is wrong! My mother never ever once told me what a jerk my father was. She still wouldn't do it and she knows I know what a jerk the guy is. For this she has my utmost in admiration.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#191533 - 05/18/04 09:55 PM Re: affair
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Any suggestions?

Contraceptives.

Return to Top
#191534 - 05/18/04 09:58 PM Re: affair
Anonymous
Unregistered

Might be easier to switch channels and watch a different soap.

Return to Top
#191535 - 05/19/04 01:54 PM Re: affair
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Quote:

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Contraceptives.

That was cold, man. Yes. I was thinking the same thing.

Return to Top
#191536 - 05/19/04 02:44 PM Re: affair
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Kids don't need to know anything! They would be losing a lot because not only are their parents not together but will have MAJOR trust issues with all family members by dragging an uncle into it. As a side note, what did the uncle's wife do when she found the note? The mom and dad of the kids are already divorced from what I read but what about the aunt and uncle? Did she send him packing, which may lead to the kids finding out anyway (at those ages they understand somewhat) and in that case maybe the parents should explain somewhat. It may avoid them being more confused when aunt and uncle's dirty laundry comes out. Hard situation to deal with, I have to ditto the thearpy idea!

Return to Top
#191537 - 05/19/04 11:09 PM Re: affair
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please do not tell the children! My husband has custody of his three children from a previous marriage. His ex-wife had three affairs, the last man she ended up marrying. He is now their step-father, and they have a baby together and we would never, in a million years, wish the children to have trust issues with their mother and step-father, especially when a new baby is involved. While at times it is tempting to tell the kids so they can see that the parent they don't live with that they think is perfect is not-so-perfect, I believe it would do so much more harm than good and I could never imagine hurting their souls one ounce more than what they had to go through when mom and dad divorced. What happened between mom and dad is between mom and dad only. Why bring children into adult problems? That is just unfair to them and their well-being. Just a few words from someone who understands. Good luck.

Return to Top
#191538 - 05/20/04 03:02 PM Re: affair
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I agree, don't tell the kids. Children should be allowed to be children. They will get their own share of adult problems when they grow up.

Return to Top
#191539 - 05/23/04 02:19 PM Re: affair
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Get ready this is complicated. What a tangled web that has been spun.

I actually think I saw a show about this family on a cable TV channel. It was a re-run of a mountaineer family that discovered oil, then moved to a mansion in Beverly Hills.

Return to Top
#191540 - 05/24/04 12:59 PM Re: affair
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Get ready this is complicated. What a tangled web that has been spun.

I actually think I saw a show about this family on a cable TV channel. It was a re-run of a mountaineer family that discovered oil, then moved to a mansion in Beverly Hills.

HUH? I must have been watching a highly edited version of this show!

Return to Top
#191541 - 05/24/04 01:43 PM Re: affair
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

You didn't see the episode where Miss Jane left Jethro after catching him with Ellie Mae?

Return to Top
#191542 - 05/24/04 01:51 PM Re: affair
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

You didn't see the episode where Miss Jane left Jethro after catching him with Ellie Mae?

Oh yeah! And Cousin Pearl wanted to tell Jethreen, but Jed wasn't sure it was the right thing to do so he called and asked Sam Drucker what he thought should be done. That's right, now I remember.

Return to Top
#191543 - 05/24/04 02:04 PM Re: affair
Cowboys Fan Online
Power Poster
SC
Telling the children will accomplish nothing!! My niece (15 at the time) is the one that discovered her dad was having an affair and told her mom. Needless to say, she hasn't been the same since and her relationship with her dad has been damaged beyond repair.

Return to Top
#191544 - 05/25/04 03:02 PM Re: affair
carrieb Offline
100 Club
Minneapolis
Telling the children would be nothing but selfish and show a total lack of respect for them. Even though they are children, they deserve respect. This is not their fault, nor their mess to deal with. It seems like this is more about their anger towards each other than the mom and the uncle truly loving each other and trying to work it out.

Return to Top
#191545 - 05/26/04 07:27 PM Re: affair
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

. . . the mom and the uncle truly loving each other and trying to work it out.

So this would mean that the uncle could become the stepfather, and that his existing children -- who are already their first cousins -- would become stepbrothers and stepsisters. Am I getting old, or does anyone see this as a bit unusual. This is not healthy indeed.

Return to Top
#191546 - 05/26/04 09:30 PM Re: affair
carrieb Offline
100 Club
Minneapolis
Quote:

Quote:

. . . the mom and the uncle truly loving each other and trying to work it out.

So this would mean that the uncle could become the stepfather, and that his existing children -- who are already their first cousins -- would become stepbrothers and stepsisters. Am I getting old, or does anyone see this as a bit unusual. This is not healthy indeed.

It is most definately unusual and dysfunctional. I really do think that continuing the relationship is in the children's best interest, I was just pointing out that the issue seem more about the "adults" finding ways to target each other than about people who, against their better judgement, may care about each other.

Return to Top
#191547 - 05/27/04 11:23 AM Re: affair
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
OK - how about this scenario. My younger sister now 'hangs out' with my ex-husband. They both have small children and do things together. There is no romantic relationship here, but it still bothers me. I try not to bring it up, but she has tried to defend him once to me. That was a definite no-no. Is this weird or what?

Return to Top
#191548 - 05/27/04 02:30 PM Re: affair
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
IMO, yes it's wierd.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett