Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1897817 - 02/18/14 03:33 PM FATCA withholding
cody_c Offline
cody_c
Nebraska
My impression of FATCA was for Foreign Financial Institutions to report US accounts to the IRS for withholding. I have found some documents indicating that the 30% also applies to foreign entities that have accounts in U.S. Financial Institutions. If this is true does the withholding need to be tracked separately or just reported as Federal Withholding at the 30% rate?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1915083 - 04/16/14 07:06 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
I'm also curious about this as well as if the 30% backup withholding applies for non resident aliens with expired W8s or is the withholding rate 28%?

Return to Top
#1915185 - 04/17/14 02:27 AM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
30%

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p515/ar02.html#en_US_2013_publink1000224769

I'm not really sure what this has to do with FATCA??

Return to Top
#1915249 - 04/17/14 02:43 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Is bank deposit interest for NRAs with expired W8s still subject to a backup withholding rate of 28%?

Return to Top
#1915280 - 04/17/14 03:59 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I see no provisions for a 28% withholding rate on a NRA.

Return to Top
#1915287 - 04/17/14 04:06 PM Re: FATCA withholding rlcarey
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Randy, I think lvc may be referring to 1099 reporting.
Quote:
Form 1099 reporting and backup withholding. You also may be responsible as a payer for reporting on Form 1099 payments made to a U.S. person. You must withhold 28% (backup withholding rate) from a reportable payment made to a U.S. person that is subject to Form 1099 reporting if any of the following apply.
•The U.S. person has not provided its taxpayer identification number (TIN) in the manner required.

•The IRS notifies you that the TIN furnished by the payee is incorrect.

•There has been a notified payee underreporting.

•There has been a payee certification failure.

Return to Top
#1915297 - 04/17/14 04:16 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That may be the case, but that paragraph does not apply to NRAs.

Return to Top
#1915300 - 04/17/14 04:21 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
I'm referring to the withholding rate on Bank deposit interest for NRAs individuals with expired W8s that is referred to in the following Infovault Q&A 2/3/14:

"Question:In regards to withholding on customers with ITINs, what are the guidelines or rules regarding what accounts we start withholding?

Answer: If you do not have a valid W8 BEN on file, you withhold at the standard backup withholding rate of 28%."

Is it still 28% or is it now 30%?

This is also mentioned here: http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1880420

Return to Top
#1915311 - 04/17/14 04:42 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, I guess I have to say that I was probably wrong in that previous post. I'm not sure where the 28% came from unless it has since changed (which I did not research).

Return to Top
#1915320 - 04/17/14 04:58 PM Re: FATCA withholding rlcarey
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Well, I guess I have to say that I was probably wrong in that previous post. I'm not sure where the 28% came from unless it has since changed (which I did not research).

The 28% withholding rate is in regards to backup withholding for failing to furnish a TIN, failure to certify a TIN, furnishing an incorrect TIN (B Notice) or underreporting (C Notice).

The rate can be found here: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Backup-Withholding-B-Processes

But as you stated earlier, this has nothing to do with NRA withholding and none of what's been discussed so far has any connection to FATCA.
Last edited by el guapo; 04/17/14 04:58 PM.
Return to Top
#1915321 - 04/17/14 04:59 PM Re: FATCA withholding lucyc
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
Originally Posted By: lvc
Is bank deposit interest for NRAs with expired W8s still subject to a backup withholding rate of 28%?

You can find information on witholding for NRAs in this IRS publication: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p515.pdf

Return to Top
#1915332 - 04/17/14 05:23 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
el guapo

Well, I know where the 28% came from, I just meant I have no idea how that percentage got into the past discussion on this issue.

Also, that is the same publication that I linked in my original response.

Return to Top
#1915415 - 04/17/14 06:49 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
This is stated in the IRS Publication 515

"Amounts not subject to NRA withholding. The following amounts are not subject to NRA withholding.
- Portfolio interest on bearer obligations or foreigntargeted registered obligations if those obligations meet certain requirements. See Interest, later.
- Bank deposit interest that is not effectively connected with the conduct of a U.S. trade or business. See Interest, later.
- Original issue discount on certain shortterm obligations. See -- Original issue discount, later.
- Nonbusiness gambling income of a nonresident alien playing blackjack, baccarat, craps, roulette, or big6 wheel in the United States. See Gambling winnings, later.
- Amounts paid as part of the purchase price of an obligation sold between interest payment dates. See Interest, later.
- Original issue discount paid on the sale of an obligation other than a redemption. See Original issue discount, later.
- Insurance premiums paid on a contract issued by a foreign insurer."

Sorry to say I'm still not clear as to which rate we are supposed to apply the NRA individual on their Bank deposit interest when they have an expired W8.

1. Is it 28% until July 1st and 30% on/after July 1st? OR
2. Does it remain at 28% and we apply 30% to Foreign Entities on/after July 1st?

Return to Top
#1916248 - 04/21/14 07:28 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Any takers?

Return to Top
#1916356 - 04/22/14 01:04 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
GoGreen Offline
Gold Star
PA
This came directly from the IRS:

FATCA Information for U.S. Financial Institutions and Entities

•U.S. financial institutions (USFIs) and other types of U.S. withholding agents are required to withhold 30% on certain U.S. source payments made to foreign entities, if they are unable to document such entities for purposes of FATCA.

•USFIs and U.S. withholding agents must also report to the IRS information about certain non-financial foreign entities with substantial U.S. owners.

•USFIs are also eligible to submit a FATCA Registration application via the FATCA Registration Website for the following reasons:

•A USFI with a foreign branch in a Model 1 IGA jurisdiction to obtain a GIIN for the branch.

•A USFI with a foreign branch that is a qualifying intermediary (QI) to renew the branch’s QI agreement.

•A USFI may register as a sponsoring entity for FFIs and agree to perform, on behalf of the FFI, all the FATCA activities that the FFI otherwise would have to do.

•A USFI may register as a Lead FI to manage the FATCA registration process for members of its Expanded Affiliated Group of FFIs.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 21-Apr-2014

Return to Top
#1924987 - 05/20/14 09:01 PM Re: FATCA withholding cody_c
Rosie O'Grady Offline
Gold Star
Rosie O'Grady
California
Besides the 30% withholding on a NRA, are there any other implications to USFIs?

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett