Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1916499 - 04/22/14 06:12 PM Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers?
Bill2307
Unregistered

As a Compliance Officer or Compliance Person, do you have a rule of not interacting with customers on customer service issues?

Call me weird but I prefer to not interact with customers, but rather have the relationship officer handle that.

Am I weird?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1916507 - 04/22/14 06:25 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I don't see the compliance officer's job being one of customer service. On occasion, i have spoken to a few irate or irritated customers where a compliance decision has upset them (closed account or the like).

#1916512 - 04/22/14 06:36 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
gacompliancegirl Offline
100 Club
hanging on by a thread
My duties as compliance officer do not include regular communication with customers. However, if there is an issue that is reg related or a complaint (I handle those), I do speak with customers. Now, I do help out in the lobby and upon occassion open a new account or two. But that has nothing to do with compliance - it's becuase we are a small bank and all pitch in when needed.

#1916513 - 04/22/14 06:37 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Prior to becoming the Compliance Officer for our bank, I worked in the mortgage department for 15 years, so customer interaction was very much a part of my day. After the change, I would have my 'regular' customers call me, but I started referring them to other loan officers. I have not had to speak with any customers in regards to compliance issues. I am thinking that is a good thing.

And no, you are not weird!

--Dr. Seuss

#1916566 - 04/22/14 07:39 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
One the reasons I got into Compliance was so I would NOT have to talk to customers ever again! grin

#1916622 - 04/22/14 09:01 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
(Un)fortunately, compliance customers are usually bank employees. Some are good, some are great and others make you really appreciate weekends and vacations.

#1916629 - 04/22/14 09:11 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Similar comments. From a BSA perspective, I do occasionally interact, but generally when talking strictly about compliance, I'm a resource to those that do talk to the outside public. We generally aren't in compliance because we have excellent customer service skills smirk

May be time for a conversation with your direct supervisor as to the expectations of your role.

#1916638 - 04/22/14 09:44 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
At my old shops, if I was talking to a customer about something, odds were they weren't going to be a customer for much longer.....

#1916667 - 04/23/14 12:18 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I worked in the branch for 22 years and had many customers that I enjoyed interacting with, however I could see general customer behavior changing and not for the better, so when the compliance officer postion was offered I took it and love the fact that I have no customer contact.

#1916671 - 04/23/14 12:31 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? ACBbank
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: ACBbank
At my old shops, if I was talking to a customer about something, odds were they weren't going to be a customer for much longer.....

When I was in a certain branch at a former bank as a Manager I could have said the same thing. laugh

CAMS

#1916672 - 04/23/14 12:35 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I could pretty much mirror gacompliance's comments...maybe it's a small Georgia bank thang! laugh

I'll do almost anything...particularly if someone else who SHOULD be doing something (catching an overload, for instance) is slacking (lazy).

As others also said...I was in the mortgage industry and lending in general for YEARS. Not dealing with customers on a regular basis was one of the incentives to this job. wink

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#1916681 - 04/23/14 01:16 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
I don't think I should be talking to customers, but rather helping my co-workers talk to them, but occasionally they TRANSFER customers to me...I am not crazy about this as you can imagine.

#1916747 - 04/23/14 02:45 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I like how certain customers, perhaps after I have force-placed insurance, somehow obtain my direct office line...

CRCM

#1918149 - 04/28/14 06:37 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
West Coast Comp Offline
Gold Star
West Coast Comp
Lost in the rain.
As has been noted by others here, I generally give the information to the front line person so they can manage the relationship, but offer to make myself available as backup to the front line. It is very rare that they customer does want to speak with me, but it does happen.

#1918284 - 04/29/14 12:47 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
I give the info to the front line and make myself available if needed.....though it never seems to fail that I end up talking to customers, particularly the irate ones.....

#1918293 - 04/29/14 01:12 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I have to echo the sentiments of taking the compliance position so as to not talk to customers. That said, I would be available for any consumer complaints/reg issues and things of that nature.

#1918343 - 04/29/14 02:14 PM Re: Compliance Officer: Do you talk to customers? Anonymous
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
If I have a problem with an account, I usually have somone on the front line handle the call. Every once in a while I will get a call transfered to me. Most are wire related questions and I am the go to person for wires at my bank. Before compliance, I worked on the front line so I will still get a call once in a while about account issues or other matters. Usually only if the call center cannot get somone else.

It's nice being able to talk to customers ONCE in awhile and makes me feel like I am still valuable since I still know the stuff after 5 years being off the front line.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale