Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#191799 - 05/19/04 09:15 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
St. George Island, Florida is wonderful. You can rent a house or stay at the St. George Inn. We stayed at the Inn, had a king size bed, full kitchen, and fireplace. Wonderful! Pristine, white sandy beaches! Get past all the development and spend the day in the state park.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#191800 - 05/19/04 09:28 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out Destin, FL

Return to Top
#191801 - 05/19/04 09:34 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
We went to Panama City Beach a couple of years ago. Off season things are really cheap. It it on the Gulf side. Check out their visitors bureau. Alot of the big hotels had suites. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree for $90 per night over a weekend. It was the best, most relaxing, long weekend. It is north of Tampa and South of Pensacola.

Return to Top
#191802 - 05/19/04 09:36 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Compliance Mom Offline
Tennessee
For mountains, try Gatlinburg. For the ocean, Destin has to be the most beautiful place on earth. We went in April and if I had my way, I'd still be there. The sand is as white as this page and the water is really as turquoise as the postcards show. There are also plenty of secluded beaches between Destin and Fort Walton on Okaloosa Island if you want privacy. If you like seafood, try Capt. Kidds seafood buffet. A bit pricey, but they have everything from lobster, to prime rib to cajun.

Return to Top
#191803 - 05/19/04 09:49 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Pippi Offline
100 Club
Pippi
ahh, St Augustine... Now, there's a beautiful, culture and history rich city! I second the vote Dawnie!
And a beautiful Catholic church (the 1st in the "new world" if I remember correctly). We got some great shots of the stained glass, with a gecko climbing up the window pane

Return to Top
#191804 - 05/20/04 02:02 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

The Keys are the most beautiful area of Florida, but for price considerations, the Gulf is more popular.

Have you thought about someplace like Biloxi Mississippi? It's absolutely fantastic too, and not as touristy.

But are the beaches pretty?

When I went to Biloxi, the beaches were among the prettiest I'd ever seen. The sand seemed somehow sandier than Florida.

More importantly, the shrimp were cheap and plentiful!

Return to Top
#191805 - 05/20/04 02:18 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
For those of you who have been, which would you choose for the third week of June:

Biloxi, Gulf Shores, Destin or Ft. Walton

Keep in mind it will just be me and the kids (6 and 9).

Return to Top
#191806 - 05/20/04 02:23 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Disney

Return to Top
#191807 - 05/20/04 02:30 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
That was not a choice Mr. Smarty Pants. The choices are all within 12-14 hour drive for me...much closer and cheaper than Disney. I don't want an amuzement park, I want the beach with sand, sun, waves and a few sea shells. The end.

Return to Top
#191808 - 05/20/04 03:27 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Geez, snippy aren't we? I've never been to any of the places you listed (drove through Biloxi en route to FLA in the middle of the night) and the original topic was FLA so that's where I was coming from. Disney does have some nice resorts, though, if you were going that far. It's not on your list, but I've heard some great things about the beaches in Texas along the Gulf Coast. I've been to South Padre, but that is probably a bit too touristy. I'll back out of the conversation now and let the experts handle it from here.

I've heard the Lake of the Ozarks is nice.

Return to Top
#191809 - 05/20/04 03:30 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen

Return to Top
#191810 - 05/20/04 09:42 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Compliance Mom Offline
Tennessee
If you're considering Destin/Fort Walton (they're next to each other), visit the Gulfarium, the oldest continually operating aquarium in the nation. There are dolphin and sea lion shows and it's right on the beach, so you get the ocean views at the same time. Destin has many more lodging and dining accomodations, but Fort Walton is smaller and quieter.

Return to Top
#191811 - 05/21/04 03:21 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Hrmn Destin is gorgeous.... Tough choice, I suggest going there, Biloxi, and the Keys! (You'll need to take at least 2 months vacation though *whistle*)

Return to Top
#191812 - 05/21/04 03:40 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
OOH - 2 months vacation! Gee, how likely is it for any of us to get that, and how wonderful it would be - don't some Europeans get that kind of time off?

Thanks to all of your responses, I will look very closely at some location along the Gulf - the prices for the Keys seem a little steep. I'm also wondering whether it would be worth it to drive down vs. fly, considering gas prices, wear and tear on the car and taking 2 days driving each way vs. airport waits....

Return to Top
#191813 - 05/21/04 07:03 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
If you fly into Tallahassee, it would be a 2 hour drive to St. George Island and a 3 hour drive to Destin. If you fly into Pensacola it will be about a 1 1/2 hour drive to Destin. (Pensacola's home for me so trust me - I've got the driving times down).

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#191814 - 05/21/04 08:32 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Young Punk Banker Offline
New Poster
Florida
Jacksonville is nice for the shops and their zoo, St. Augustine is LOADED with history and ghosts (go a little South for some nice surfing), Daytona and the Beach there is fantastic for their nightlife and party atmosphere, Ft. Pierce is cool for hunting for treasure (if you're so inclined), Ft Laurderdale is a good place to go for the resorts, same with Miami but ya need a ton of bling to even GET in some of the clubs on the South Beach Strip, The Keys are a world unto themselves and it'd take a book (amazon.com) to tell ya about each one but bring a snorkel at least if you don't SCUBA, Naples is the East Coast Beverly Hills (a lot of Golf and private beaches), Ft Myers Beach is a relaxed beachy place thats fun for a day or two, steer clear of Cape Coral (there's a reason the band Twisted Method called their album Escape from Cape Coma), Venice and the area is tons of fun for the Archealogist in the family as it's loaded with fossilized sharks teeth and other ancient creatures (mainly driving Cadillac DeVille's and running stop signs), Tampa is a fun Metro place for shopping and culture (as is Bradenton), Sarasota is a fun all round city with plenty to do (Mote Marine Lab is here- I recommend eating at The Salty Dog near where the Lab is located), Orlando is mainly www.Disney.com now-a-days. There's plenty more cities, but I haven't been to them or they're plain ol boring !

Return to Top
#191815 - 05/21/04 08:38 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
Young Punk Banker Offline
New Poster
Florida
yeah... I can spell. Anyways, Sanibel Island is GREAT for looking for shells and Kayo Costa Island if fun camping! I'll shut up now.

Return to Top
#191816 - 06/09/04 03:59 PM Re: FL vacation ideas?
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
The reservations are made, we're off to Okaloosa Isand on the 21st! YEAH!!!

Any "must see" places while we're there? Or terrific (kid friendly) places to eat?

I've already got the fishing pier, Temple Mound Museum and Gulfarium on the list.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2