Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1918228 - 04/28/14 08:39 PM Does Fractured hip always = hip replacement?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
Mom has undergone two separate hip surgeries. First was Jan 2009. At first things seemed ok. Then she began having a lot of pain. X-rays showed that the bone had crumbled and a screw was actually rubbing against something that is shouldn't. The 2nd surgery (to fix this problem) was done in August 2011. Her left leg is (and has been since the 2nd surgery) about 2 inches shorter. She walks (uncomfortably) with a walker. I don't really know if what she had done is considered hip replacement. I want to know if she qualifies for any of the settlements related to hip replacements. What do ya'll think?

Return to Top
#1918232 - 04/28/14 08:47 PM Re: Does Fractured hip always = hip replacement? OnTheEdge
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I think it will depend on what they did to "fix" the problem back in 2011.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1918233 - 04/28/14 08:47 PM Re: Does Fractured hip always = hip replacement? OnTheEdge
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
if she has not had an artificial hip implanted, i don't see how she would qualify for a hip replacement settlement.

but if one leg is now 2 inches shorter than the other, you may have some other avenues of redress. and find another doctor

Return to Top
#1918285 - 04/29/14 12:53 PM Re: Does Fractured hip always = hip replacement? OnTheEdge
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Does she wear special shoes... or have lifts in her shoes? I would think that would help the discomfort. My M-I-L has double scoliosis (both the "S" and the "C" curves) and was given small lifts about 2 years ago and it has made a world of difference in the pain she was feeling. I also have a cousin who broke a leg in multiple places years ago and that leg is now shorter than the other. He wears a shoe on that side that is a good inch or more of a sole than the other.

I know that doesn't address the "did they do this right" issue... but perhaps something for more comfort.

Return to Top
#1918308 - 04/29/14 01:33 PM Re: Does Fractured hip always = hip replacement? basilring
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
Her left shoe has been built up and does help some.

Return to Top
#1918324 - 04/29/14 01:55 PM Re: Does Fractured hip always = hip replacement? OnTheEdge
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
If memory serves me, it was the Stryker hip replacement brand that was under fire and recalled recently. I don't recall the details, I want to think it had to do with causing infections some how, but I may be off base with that.

A friend of mine has had hip replacement and the first one has recently been replaced (they are good for about 10 years, I think). When they did the second one, I think they added cadaver bone to add about 2" of length to her. She doesn't limp like she used to and rides her horses daily.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett