Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1920201 - 05/05/14 07:07 PM Mixed Purpose Loan - PEL?
pacar Offline
Gold Star
I just stumbled across a closed-end installment loan with a mixed business / consumer purpose. 60% of the loan proceeds were designated as business purposes (a D.B.A.), with 40% as consumer purpose. While reviewing the lender comments, I discovered that a portion of the consumer portion of the loan was for tuition expense at a qualifying institution.

1026.46 says "in whole or in part" for credit extended to a consumer. The borrower is a consumer, but 60% of the loan was for a business purpose so we booked it as a consumer loan.

Is this exempt from the PEL requirements? I'm tending to lean on the business purpose of this loan and say "yes", but just thought I'd double check because I'm second guessing myself.

Thoughts?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1920210 - 05/05/14 07:33 PM Re: Mixed Purpose Loan - PEL? pacar
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
If the loan is exempt from Reg. Z (and it sure sounds like it would be), then it's exempt from everything in Reg. Z, including the PEL requirements.

Return to Top
#1920379 - 05/06/14 03:50 PM Re: Mixed Purpose Loan - PEL? pacar
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I agree with raitchjay's response. However, if you suspect there might be other lenders in your organization who might be tempted to roll PEL financing into another credit extension that doesn't meet the business-purpose test, you should think about some reinforcing training.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z