Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1911496 - 04/03/14 09:25 PM QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop?
iliniyak Offline
Gold Star
I have a consumer purpose loan (funds used for home improvement on primary residence) which is being secured by a rental dwelling (greater than 25 acres; no RESPA).

I know that I will need to provide TIL information, but do Qualified Mortgage and ATR rules apply?

Return to Top
Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage Rule
#1911532 - 04/04/14 12:21 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I see no exception based on what you have stated.

A quick look at the scope of the regulation would tell you what is/is not included:

http://www.bankersonline.com/regs/12-1026/12-1026-043.html
Last edited by RR Joker; 04/04/14 12:24 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1911546 - 04/04/14 12:37 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
SamP Offline
ATR rules would apply, as this particular transaction is secured by real property and appears to meet the scope under 1026.43. You would need to ensure you follow 1026.43(c) and appendix Q to the regulation.

QM’s merely provide more certainty to creditors to presume compliance with the ability-to-repay. The secondary market is only accepting QM type loans as of now.

IMO - If your plan is to keep this particular loan within your portfolio, I would say that your compliance with ATR provisions would suffice.

Return to Top
#1911551 - 04/04/14 12:51 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
No disprespect intended, but advising a poster unaffiliated with your FI regarding their policy of ATR vs QM is not a real good idea.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm a small/rural, so that's my concentration re the rules) but doesn't Appdx Q only come in to play on QMs?
Last edited by RR Joker; 04/04/14 12:51 PM.

Return to Top
#1911554 - 04/04/14 12:57 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
SamP Offline
I took Appendix Q as a tool to assist lenders in calculating DTI ratios when evaluating a borrower's ability to repay the debt. I'm not sure why it would only apply to QM trnasactions. I'll take a closer look.

Also, if you have any additional references, can you please forward it my way?

Thanks.

Return to Top
#1911556 - 04/04/14 01:02 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The CFPB stated that while Appendix Q is only required for certain loans, it is an excellent guide for all residential mortgages.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1911560 - 04/04/14 01:10 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
SamP Offline
Perfect. Thanks Kathleen.

Return to Top
#1911562 - 04/04/14 01:11 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
That was stated in a webinar.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1911565 - 04/04/14 01:20 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? RR Joker
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
Also, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm a small/rural, so that's my concentration re the rules) but doesn't Appdx Q only come in to play on QMs?

That is technically correct. The preamble to Appendix Q makes that clear, and there are multiple references to the appendix in the QM section [1026.43(e)].

Given that the vast majority of residential loans will be QMs, and that, at least at the present time, most lenders intend to make only or mostly QMs, I think the practical effect will be that lenders will tend to use Appendix Q as a guideline for all their residential lending. It's easier than having two sets of underwriting criteria, one for QM and one for non-QM.

I also wonder whether examiners will apply Appendix Q to all residential loans. Too soon to tell, but that might be interesting to keep an eye on.

Return to Top
#1911582 - 04/04/14 01:44 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I agree that Q is an excellent reference...my point was simply that it wasn't required in regard to General ATR.

Return to Top
#1911607 - 04/04/14 01:55 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
And I am just going to take a slight issue with the statement that 'if the loan will remain portfolio, that ATR provisions would suffice'.

It is important to remember that there is a level of legal uncertainty that a bank accepts when they make a non-QM loan that did not exist before. While I feel that most loans that comply with ATR and are well documented and with reasonable DTI's, such a decision to book ATR only loans is a decision a bank should not take lightly. The willingness to do so should be part of a well documented strategic plan.

Return to Top
#1921257 - 05/08/14 03:21 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Investment property (rental homes) done as a secondary market loan (Freddie Mac) would still have to meet the QM rules correct? My issue is that some of the Freddie Mac fees will take it over the 3% cap.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1921269 - 05/08/14 03:33 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
If they have to meet QM requirements, that is an investor requirement, not a regulatory requirement. For your Freddie loans, you might call the investor bank about how they view those loans and the fee cap.

Return to Top
#1921289 - 05/08/14 03:57 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
First, determine whether the loan should be considered a consumer credit transaction using 1026.3 and its commentary. The answer can differ depending on whether the loan is funding a purchase of a rental or not.

If it won't be a consumer credit transaction, it won't be subject to Regulation Z, and the whole concern about QM or not and the 3% P&F cap goes out the window.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1921304 - 05/08/14 04:09 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
John, would the refinance of a rental home also be exempt?

This is from the exemption, however it does not specify purchase or refinance.

(a) Business, commercial, agricultural, or organizational credit. (1) An extension of credit primarily for a business, commercial or agricultural purpose.

Thank you.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1921390 - 05/08/14 05:39 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
JWills, that will depend on the purpose. Are they refinacing the rental-related debt, or, perhaps are they taking equity out for personal reasons and securing iwth rental property?

If the former, it's exempt, if the later, it's not.

Return to Top
#1921415 - 05/08/14 05:57 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
Freddie Mac only purchases 1-4 family residential loans. They would need to be compliant with Freddie Mac requirements to be temporary QM loans. They are still required to meet the 3% points and fees to qualify for QM rules.

Return to Top
#1921426 - 05/08/14 06:17 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Joker they are refinancing the rental to take advantage of lower rates. I am still saying it is business purpose. And as business purpose, it is exempt from Reg Z. I do not need to worry about the points and fees test, correct?

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1921436 - 05/08/14 06:40 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
If I missed something, I apologize. I thought the loan was being sold to Freddie Mac.

Return to Top
#1921440 - 05/08/14 06:45 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
You didn't miss anything hgliii, it is being sold to FM. But if Reg Z doesn't apply, how can I do the points & fees test for QM?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1921451 - 05/08/14 06:59 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I can't answer for FM requirements, but if it were an in-house loan it would be exempt. It sounds like hgliii has more experience with what FM is requiring.

Return to Top
#1921458 - 05/08/14 07:06 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
From Freddie Mac Bulletin: NUMBER: 2013-16

POINTS AND FEES
New thresholds
We are updating our requirements for points and fees as follows:
■ For ATR covered Mortgages, the points and fees must not exceed 3% of the total loan amount (or such other applicable limits for lower balance Mortgages) as specified under the Truth-in-Lending Act and its implementing regulations, 12 C.F.R. 1026.43(e)(3). Sellers must use the points and fees calculation that is required for qualified mortgages under the Truth-in-Lending Act and its implementing regulations, 12 C.F.R. 1026.32(b) to determine compliance with applicable requirements.
■ For ATR exempt Mortgages, the points and fees must not exceed 5% of the total loan amount. Sellers must use the points and fees calculation that is required for high-cost Mortgages under the Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act of 1994 (HOEPA) and its implementing regulations, 12 C.F.R. 1026.32(b).
We are replacing the existing Freddie Mac 5% points and fees limitation under Section 22.32, Predatory Lending Practices, with the new points and fees thresholds.
We are adding new Section 22.37, Points and Fees Limitation, and updating Sections 22.1, Overview, and 22.32 to reflect these changes.
We are also updating Section 22.33, HOEPA Mortgages, and additional applicable Guide sections for consistency with the new statutory thresholds under HOEPA as amended by the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010.

I don't see any exemption for rental properties sold to Freddie.

Return to Top
#1921462 - 05/08/14 07:13 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
HGLIII, the first section effectively exempts it as it refers to "ATR covered transactions" and "Regulation Z", neither of which apply to non-consumer loans.

Return to Top
#2125333 - 04/06/17 06:07 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
As a follow-up to the above discussion, I'm curious on Freddie Mac saleable investment property loans if there is any reason why we should be determining QM or ATR status?

Freddie Mac Bulletin Number 2013-16 lists a 5% points and fees cap for non-Reg. Z covered loans, so clearly the 3% points and fees cap does not apply. However, it seems we must be concerned with HOEPA on non-owner occupied investment property loans.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by ComplyCycle; 04/06/17 06:13 PM.
Return to Top
#2125377 - 04/06/17 09:08 PM Re: QM applicable to loan secured by non-own occ prop? iliniyak
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Rental property is exempt from Regulation Z.

Return to Top