BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#192155 - 05/24/04 09:20 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
ABirkla Offline
100 Club
ABirkla
I am about 25 miles from Louisville and the Cicadas everywhere in my neck of the woods. The little devils don't shut off; night and day they make that sound and when you can hear in the house with the windows and doors shut and the AC on it can begin to get on your nerves!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#192156 - 05/24/04 09:29 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Quote:

Previously, I said I was going to the Cicada Cookoff on Saturday. Well, I did go. And... drumroll please.. I ate a Budweiser Beer Battered Cicada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was the slogan for the event: "This Bug's for you"?

Return to Top
#192157 - 05/24/04 09:48 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
Haha. There were all kinds of dishes. Cicada Quiche, Cicada Pie, Sauteed Cicadas, Chocolate Covered Cicadas... The Cicada Quiche looked so disgusting - wings sticking out all over the thing! (Some "cicadachefs" left the wings on!!)
I proudly wore my big ol' sticker that said "I ata-a-cicada" and I'm glad I did it when I did. Those guys are everywhere - a couple tried to hitch a ride on me today when I was going to lunch. They're fascinating and also kinda dorky bugs. I kinda like 'em. Mostly cuz I know they're temporary and they won't be back for 17 years. They are just so big and clumsy! Cracks me up! I'm smart enough to keep my car windows rolled up, but a woman in Maryland had a cicada fly into her car and on her face this weekend. She took her hands off the wheel to swat it and ran into a fire hydrant. The neighborhood streets flooded and the neighborhood had no water for a while!

Return to Top
#192158 - 05/25/04 01:10 AM Re: Cicadas Watch
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I've eaten some odd stuff out in the Arctic, and I joke quite often that I could easily eat bugs in India once I'd had fish head soup (fish are two weeks old and buried in the ground to flavor them up before the soup is cooked). But you ATE BUGS!!! And no one was paying you money to do it? Good gravy man....they'd need GOOD GRAVY for me to consider them (or to be served by poor Eskimo's I really liked)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#192159 - 05/25/04 12:36 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
More on Cicadas.

Cicada News

Return to Top
#192160 - 05/25/04 01:55 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

Quote:

G4I, cicada's will be the last of your worries in those areas. What you will have to watch out for is "palmetto bugs" in those areas.

Especially when they fly and attack you.

That's it...I'm going to Alaska instead......

Return to Top
#192161 - 05/25/04 03:21 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Don't do that. A little advice for you. If you're sitting outside at night, sipping a cool drink, and the wall appears to be moving a little, chances are it's our "little friends" and not your alcohol intake.

Return to Top
#192162 - 05/25/04 04:06 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
I'm going on vacation in a few weeks - does anyone know how long the cicadas will be around? As interesting as this is, I really don't have any desire to see it.

Return to Top
#192163 - 05/25/04 04:41 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks - does anyone know how long the cicadas will be around? As interesting as this is, I really don't have any desire to see it.

Their lifespan is about 3 to 4 weeks.

Return to Top
#192164 - 05/25/04 05:33 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Bank on it Offline
100 Club
Bank on it
New York
Quote:

The invasion should be over by the first of July.

Return to Top
#192165 - 05/25/04 08:15 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
Yes, I really did it and no one paid me. All I got was a sticker to wear that said "I ate-a-cicada" - but trust me, I plan not to ever eat another! One rumor says it tastes like chicken. Another says like asparagus. Pleeze -gimme a break - I can only say it was kinda chewy and definitely yukky!! I didn't tell you I erroneously ate it in stages. First a leg, then half the body - it was on a skewer and I (like an idiot) LOOKED at the thing in there. Gross Gross Gross! Then I ate it anyway. They were giving away water to wash it down. (It was 92 degrees outside.) All I wanted was something to get rid of the taste! They were handing out Turkey Hill Ice Cream. For the record - cicada and chocolate ice cream DO NOT mix.
Today when I returned from lunch, I felt like I was in a scene from The Birds - (Tippy Hedron?) Only the birds were cicadas!

Return to Top
#192166 - 05/25/04 10:00 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal

Who would have thought to check the bug forecast before planning a vacation!

Return to Top
#192167 - 05/27/04 05:30 AM Re: Cicadas Watch
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in Brick NJ and I've not seen any yet. I think I'm in the CFZ.....I HOPE I am anyhow. I remember them as a kid in Westfield NJ and they were nasty.....eeeewwwwww.

Meleah

Return to Top
#192168 - 05/27/04 12:23 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Thanks, you are south of me, and now I feel much better. Icky little things...

Return to Top
#192169 - 05/27/04 02:52 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Who would have thought to check the bug forecast before planning a vacation!

The problem some people are having is that they failed to check the forecast before planning outdoor weddings. I bet this really bugs their guests!

Return to Top
#192170 - 05/27/04 07:24 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.cicadaville.com

If you want important information regarding the cicada invasion, look at this website.

Disclaimer: All the information on that site is in jest, and is quite funny but somewhat sick in the head!

Return to Top
#192171 - 05/27/04 11:41 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Bush Blamed for Cicada Invasion

John Kerry today blamed George W. Bush for the recent Cicada invasion.

Kerry Stated: "He knew they were coming and he did nothing. If I were Commander in Chief, I could have and would have stopped the invasion. I actually voted for the invasion before I voted against it." The last FOUR times the Cicadas appeared, there was a republican in The White House. The last time the Cicadas appeared when a democrat was in the White House was in 1936. Proof that it is the Republicans that caused the Cicadas, and they bring them out when convenient to distract from the election. No Cicadas with Clinton, No Cicadas with Carter, No Cicadas with Johnson, No Cicadas with Kennedy.

McCain stated: I respect Kerry's service in Vietnam, even though he committed war crimes, but President Bush should have stopped this invasion. Please tell John I said Hello, and I am not mentally unstable.

The Red Cross stated: We reported that the Bush Administration had been holding the Cicadas underground with no light, no food, and we're reporting this to the UN.

Kofi Annan stated: My son was not aware of the Oil for Cicadas program and did not profit from it.

Syria introduced a UN Resolution condemning the Bush administration on the inhumane treatment of the Cicadas over the last 17 years. It is irrelevant that The Clintons oversaw 8 years of Cicada rights violations, and Bush only 3.5 years. It only matters that Bush was at the helm when these cicada's escaped their inhumane treatment.

The Sierra club and PETA, in a Joint statement have hired the ACLU to sue the administration which is personally causing the death of millions of cicada's every day by motorists who instead of waiting until they take a month to cross the road, simply mow them down without stopping to render aid.

The State of Massachusetts says it doesn't care about what the laws are. If two Male cross the border from another state into Taxachussetts, they will marry the Cicadas.

This Just In: The ACLU has filed an emrgency motion with the US Supreme Court to stop the slaughter of all cicadas which they say have been sentenced to execution by the Bush Administration. They said: " We can prove this, where if you will wait a little over a month, you will see, that the cicadas will almost all be dead, thus proving the executions have been carried out by Bush.

The NY Times in its 8,763 Page editorial stated: (Summarized, and subscription required to read it anyway), "This is just another example of the Republicans headed by Bush being responsible for all that is wrong with the world. It's Obvious. There were no Cicadas under Clinton, so this ones on Bush" In a related story, the whereabouts of George Bush in prior cicada invasions has not been confirmed and every other cicada invasion after Bush's Birth can be attributed to him unless proive otherwise which will appear on page 57, with all our other retractions.

Hillary stated: "This Cicada invasion escape is another example of the Vast Right wing conspiracy against the Clinton family." In a related story Hillary then promised new jobs to Upstate New York.....Again.....

Howard Dean Stated: "AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!! The Cicadas are in New York, Ohio, Michigan, Vermont, New Jersey, Delaware, Massachussetts, Indiana, Illinois, and many others. AAAARRRGGGHHHHHH......

MoveOn.org stated what they always state:"Please send your donations so that we can fight the Bush Cicadas. Your contribution will ensure the cicadas wil lose, but only if you contribute now. CLICK HERE to STOP Bush's Cicadas.

Terry McCauliffe stated: We're not sure where Bush was in the Prior cicada invasions. We demand Bush release all of the cicada records to show his whereabouts during all the cicada invasions.

Michael Moore stated: Stay tuned for another LIE...errr documentary titled 17 Years of Bush Lies, deceit, and human rights violations of Cicadas. The Movie will be released just prior to Oscars so my friends...errr.... the Panels can vote on it so I can steal...errr..win another Oscar.

Amnesty International stated: This is all the fault of Israel and Bush. We demand the release of all cicadas, and the return of palestinian lands to the peaceful freedom fighters of Palestine. We also condemn Israel because that is what we do.

AlJazeera stated: "We show these pictures of an Iraqi childs death because they are the fault of Bush's Cicadas. This child was alive until Bush released the cicadas. He was at a weding and it is quite common to have all children bring their RPG's to weddings.

In a press Conference the Bush Administration Announced: "Yes we did it, don't you liberals know we control everything in the world." See you in November.

Return to Top
#192172 - 05/28/04 10:58 PM Re: Cicadas Watch
Anonymous
Unregistered

are there really blue eyed cicadas or is that a hoax

Return to Top
#192173 - 05/29/04 03:38 AM Re: Cicadas Watch
CEB Offline
CEB
California
Yes, rare but yes.

Return to Top