Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1922123 - 05/12/14 03:14 PM Reason to Doubt Collectability
Rosie O'Grady Offline
Gold Star
Rosie O'Grady
California
Question, how are you all complying with Reg CC when you have a confidential reason to place a hold? Obviously all you can tell the customer is that the reason for the hold is "confidential information", yet the reg requires you to maintain documentation for the hold up to 2 years. How are you documenting your reason, e.g writing the reason, e.g. Kiting, on a copy of the receipt or ?????

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1922449 - 05/13/14 11:35 AM Re: Reason to Doubt Collectability Rosie O'Grady
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Generally, hold notices are two part forms. As the bank is actually required to keep a copy of a hold notice for reasonable cause to doubt collectibility as well as a written explanation of the circumstances, many banks write the explanation on the back of their copy of the hold notice.

Return to Top
#1940404 - 07/14/14 03:48 PM Re: Reason to Doubt Collectability Rosie O'Grady
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
We have recently had a spike in the amount of fraudulent checks being deposited and returned. Branch Administration would like to place a blanket statement in our policy & procedures that all out of state checks be held for Reasonable Cause. I say no because it is selecting a class of checks which the reg says is a no no. Now if an account has a daily average balance of 20.00 and they want to deposit an out of state check for 2,000.00 to me that would be reasonable cause.. We would then document the proof and hold within the regulation guidelines. Would this be acceptable?

Return to Top
#1940414 - 07/14/14 04:15 PM Re: Reason to Doubt Collectability Rosie O'Grady
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm sorry but the balance of the account and the amount of the check do not equal 'reasonable cause'. There has to be something specific. Remember - reasonable cause means there is something that would give the average person a reason to question the validity of the check. The amount or where it is drawn do not do that.

Return to Top
#1940418 - 07/14/14 04:21 PM Re: Reason to Doubt Collectability Skittles
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I agree with Skittles. I would apply this on a case-by-case basis.

If this customer had a history of returned checks, and this check was drawn on the account of those other returned checks, then I'd say you had reasonable cause.

You can always refuse to accept the check for deposit.

Return to Top
#1940420 - 07/14/14 04:23 PM Re: Reason to Doubt Collectability Rosie O'Grady
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Or send the item for collection. They don't get the money until you get the money.

Return to Top
#1940438 - 07/14/14 04:49 PM Re: Reason to Doubt Collectability Rosie O'Grady
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Thank you all!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett