Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#192494 - 05/20/04 05:35 PM Identity Theft
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
We have notices today in our area about people calling customers (One of ours just had this happen) and claiming to be with the FBI having refunds of money due to a unnamed person using their ID. They claim that if you give them your bank info they will get the money put into their accounts. It is actually happening all over our area and we are informing our customers to call the authorities. Is there anything that the bank needs to do in addition to giving them the advice not to release any info and call the police???

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#192495 - 05/20/04 10:39 PM Re: Identity Theft
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Try to get the word out to your area that consumers shouldn't fall for this, try different mediums. And prepare your employees in case they get a claim. They can also spread the word.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#192496 - 05/21/04 03:00 AM Re: Identity Theft
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Make a PSA endorsed by your bank over local TV and radio stations....the PR will be excellent and a much-needed service will be filled.

Return to Top
#192497 - 05/21/04 01:26 PM Re: Identity Theft
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I did contact our local radio station and they already did a story on it, as it is now around 3 communities surrounding us. Thanks for the input, hopefully they will find out who is doing it as they are targeting the elderly and that is awful. We'll see what happens! Thanks sagain.
Last edited by Beagles22; 05/21/04 05:21 PM.

Return to Top
#192498 - 05/21/04 02:31 PM Re: Identity Theft
ITGuy Offline
Gold Star
Alabama
You should forward any information about Fraudulent Schemes to the FDIC's Special Activities Section, 550 17th St NW, Room F-4040, Washington DC 20429 or e-mail to alert@fdic.gov

It might also me a good idea to notify the Federal Trade Commission at uce@ftc.gov

Return to Top
#192499 - 05/21/04 03:35 PM Re: Identity Theft
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Quote:

It might also me a good idea to notify the Federal Trade Commission at uce@ftc.gov

That may or may not work. The "uce" stands for unsolicited commercial e-mail (spam) and that address is normally used for forwarding spam to FTC.

I think I would also call the FBI and let them know you are hearing these complaints. Since the caller is representing himself/herself as an FBI agent, the FBI may have more than just a passing interest in the problem.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z