Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#192509 - 05/20/04 06:36 PM Reg O Policy
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I am writing a Reg. O policy for my financial institution and am going off a checklist of things that the policy should address. One of the things is as follows:

Requirements for arms-length transactions with insiders, or insider-related organizations.

I am having a difficult time understanding what exactly is meant by arms-length transactions. Could someone please expound on this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kara M Scott

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#192510 - 05/20/04 06:39 PM Re: Reg O Policy
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Kara, I think this refers to the requirements of 215.4 prohibiting extensions of credit to insiders or their related interests unless they are on substantially the same terms and conditions, and carry the same repayment risk, as credits to noninsiders.

Insider credit transactions should be negotiated on the same basis as credits to non-insiders.

Return to Top
#192511 - 05/20/04 06:48 PM Re: Reg O Policy
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Thank you, I do agree that this has something to do with 215.4. However, I feel that putting the following statement in a policy would be to general:

"The Bank shall treat a transaction with an insider or their related interest at arm's length. This applies equally to vendors who are also customers of the Bank."

In one of my resources it talks about the tangible economic benefit:

"If the credit proceeds will be used for the tangible economic benefit of an insider, the credit is considered an insider loan for the purpose of Tegulation O and subject ot hte insider lending limits. However, an extension of credit extended on an arm's length basis to a third party where the proceeds of the credit are used to finance the bona fide acquisition of property, goods, or services from an ainsder or an insider's related interest is NOT to be considered an insider loan."

The "arms-length basis" phrase has me spinning in circles, I don't quite understand the terms of that phrase.

Return to Top
#192512 - 05/20/04 06:52 PM Re: Reg O Policy
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It means that you don't make 125% LTV loans or loans to insiders when they have DTI of 75% because you won't do that for Joe Shmoe walking in off the street.

Return to Top
#192513 - 05/20/04 06:53 PM Re: Reg O Policy
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

The "arms-length basis" phrase has me spinning in circles, I don't quite understand the terms of that phrase.

Kara M Scott - this phrase is used to indicate that the terms of the transaction are similar to those if the parties were not close. Imagine keeping your buyer or seller at this distance (so their hands aren't in your pockets).

Joker M An

Return to Top
#192514 - 05/20/04 07:00 PM Re: Reg O Policy
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Thanks all, I think that it makes sense!

Return to Top
#192515 - 05/20/04 07:11 PM Re: Reg O Policy
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Kara, it means they receive no preferential treatment because of their status as insiders.

If you don't like "arms length," why not say "extensions of credit to insiders and their related interests will be made on similar terms and conditions as those extended to noninsider borrowers."

Return to Top
#192516 - 05/20/04 07:24 PM Re: Reg O Policy
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Paul. I did determine that I am going to use something similar to what you said.

By the way, if anyone currently has a Reg. O policy in place, would anyone be willing to share it?

Thanks!

Kara

Return to Top
#192517 - 05/21/04 03:19 PM Re: Reg O Policy
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
Quote:

In one of my resources it talks about the tangible economic benefit:

"If the credit proceeds will be used for the tangible economic benefit of an insider, the credit is considered an insider loan for the purpose of Tegulation O and subject ot hte insider lending limits. However, an extension of credit extended on an arm's length basis to a third party where the proceeds of the credit are used to finance the bona fide acquisition of property, goods, or services from an ainsder or an insider's related interest is NOT to be considered an insider loan."

It also looks like you are asking about the "tangible economic benefit rule." This was created to prevent insiders from getting around Reg. O.

For example, I am an insider (not really, but let's pretend)and I want to buy a car. I ask you to take out a loan at my bank in your name for me to buy the car (because we are such good friends). The title will be in my name and I am the only one who will be using the car. (Thanks, Kara! You are so nice to buy me a car!) Since the loan is in your name, it would not be considered a Reg O loan. However, since I will be receiving the "tangible economic benefit" of the use of the car, it would be a Reg O loan, using this rule. Are you with me so far?

Now, let's say I own a car dealership. You buy a car at my dealership and finance it through my bank, where I am an insider. (Yes, I'm rolling in the buckies!) You meet all qualifications and receive the same rate and terms as anyone else who would apply for a car loan at the bank. I received a "tangible economic benefit" by earning a profit on the car. However, this is not a Reg O loan because the proceeds was used to finance the "bona fide acquisition of property" from my dealership. (Every time I read this, I think of the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou". He's BONA FIDE! But, I digress.)

I hope this clears it up for you. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Return to Top
#192518 - 06/11/04 12:06 AM Re: Reg O Policy
Susan T Offline
Washington (State)
So if I make a loan to an S corporation, and one of my directors is the sole shareholder of the S corporation, did he receive 'tangible economic benefit' from the loan? If so, do I need to include loans to his business as well as loans to him as an individual?

Return to Top
#192519 - 06/11/04 02:11 PM Re: Reg O Policy
EdOils Offline
Platinum Poster
EdOils
Louisiana
Actually, since he owns greater than 25% of the company, he "controls" the company. Reg O applies to not only the individual, but any "related interest" of that individual. So, it doesn't matter if he received a "tangible economic benifit" from the loan (which I'm sure he did) it is still covered. The "TEB" rule only comes in to play if the loan is not made to the insider or his related interest. BTW, loans to immediate family members are also included in Reg O. Don't let your insiders think that they can put the loan in their spouse's name and it would not covered.

Interestingly (or not), the section governing overdrafts does not include related interests. You think it would, but it doesn't. Immediate family is included, though.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z