Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1925138 - 05/21/14 02:45 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
The Aussie pups were all sold. So we're going with my second choice. Going to visit a Jack Russell puppy this evening after work. The kids are excited to have a puppy that will be an active dog unlike our geriatric Wemaraner. Hurry up 5:00!!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1925142 - 05/21/14 02:51 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Aussies are usually abundant on rescue sites...just saying. wink

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1925146 - 05/21/14 03:05 PM Re: For Mani! CompliantOkie
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie
The Aussie pups were all sold. So we're going with my second choice. Going to visit a Jack Russell puppy this evening after work. The kids are excited to have a puppy that will be an active dog unlike our geriatric Wemaraner. Hurry up 5:00!!

When did the weimie become inactive? I just 'rescued' a 6 year old and she is still full of energy and easily able to run 3 miles with me.

Return to Top
#1925162 - 05/21/14 03:17 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Maybe I need to look into an Aussie rescue around here. I'm so torn. I love both breeds so much. I know I'll love either one. Heck I'll probably get one of each!

Jen our old man is pushing 15 this year. He's getting to where he pretty much lays around all day when it's hot. He's still active in the mornings and the late evenings but not much for running around with my little guys. He's been a great dog and I just want him to live comfortably for however he's got left.

Return to Top
#1925167 - 05/21/14 03:26 PM Re: For Mani! CompliantOkie
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma

I love me some JRT. I've had two. A rubber band on cocaine has always been my description. I remember when my husband would get to the top of the house stairs with me down below and we would toss a tennis ball back and forth. We were attempting to wear out our first JRT puppy so we could go to bed. I've always thought that Terriers have so much personality.

Return to Top
#1925170 - 05/21/14 03:28 PM Re: For Mani! CompliantOkie
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Maybe I need to look into an Aussie rescue around here. I'm so torn. I love both breeds so much. I know I'll love either one. Heck I'll probably get one of each!

Jen our old man is pushing 15 this year. He's getting to where he pretty much lays around all day when it's hot. He's still active in the mornings and the late evenings but not much for running around with my little guys. He's been a great dog and I just want him to live comfortably for however he's got left.

I will ask around up here at our dog rescues to see if there are any young Aussies.

Return to Top
#1925180 - 05/21/14 03:38 PM Re: For Mani! CompliantOkie
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen

WOW! 15 is old for the breed, is it not? I thought their life expectancy is more like a lab at 10-12. Good to know though...our new girl is quite sweet but needs her play time.

Return to Top
#1925192 - 05/21/14 03:56 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Thanks Okie!

I think 15 is really old! He was my dad's dog and when he passed away in 08 I inherited him. He was always on the lazier side for a weimie but the heat really bothers him these days. He's so docile he'll let chickens eat his dog food with him. He's not a typical weimaranar.

Return to Top
#1925198 - 05/21/14 04:14 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
For as high energy as this girl is, she is GREAT with little kids. My 15 month old grandson loves her. I've noticed her not liking the heat. I'm cold natured, so I have only turned the air on once or twice so far this year. I'm usually happy in the house with the windows open up to almost 80 inside. She is not. She was panting enough the other night I got out of bed and turned the air on for her. I had a moment laying there after realizing what I had done.

Return to Top
#1925199 - 05/21/14 04:21 PM Re: For Mani! RR Jen
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
What we don't do for our babies. smile

Return to Top
#1925200 - 05/21/14 04:24 PM Re: For Mani! RR Sarah
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Yesterday it got up to about 75 degrees here. My house heats up quickly so I'm usually not shy about turning on the central air. It was comfortable in the house last night with just opened windows so I left the air off. I was laying on the couch reading. Lily came over and sat in front of my face and panted like she was dying. Really??? Has it come to that? I told her she was fine and to go lay down. She did and she was fine. But yeah, for a moment there I felt myself getting up to turn on the air.

Return to Top
#1925212 - 05/21/14 04:37 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Jen and Sarah - I can relate. When we had our greyhound we kept the air on 72 and would cover our legs with a blanket while watching TV because he was so hot natured. I've noticed both of the shelties are panting a lot and it's only in the 70's out. Our air is running for them more than us right now. I think we need to shave their bellies. It's funny because they will plant themselves on the floor vents when the air kicks on.

Return to Top
#1925214 - 05/21/14 04:43 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Every morning when I am ready to leave for work, my dog Cyrus, who is a pit bull, is usually laying on my bed. I give him a kiss on the head, and cover him with a blankie. Just in case he gets cold.

I know, I am kinda weird that way.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1925215 - 05/21/14 04:44 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
My rats nestle into any blanket they can find. She throws them all on the floor and sleeps on the leather couch.

Return to Top
#1925216 - 05/21/14 04:45 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Air only goes on if we're having a stretch of really hot and humid air. Both my mom and I dislike air conditioning so we have box fans, ceiling fans and tower fans all over the house. The dogs have learned to lay in the breeze and they're all fine.

As for toys, the girls aren't much for them anymore altho Smidgen has one she will get out of the basket on days when she feels she hasn't gotten enough exercise chasing the cat around. Right before dinner time, Smidgen will case Widget up one staircase, over and down the other while the others bark and sometimes lung at them whizzing by. As soon as I start towards the kitchen all five of them (3 Cavaliers and 2 cats) rush to their places in the kitchen to wait to be served their dinner. laugh

Quite a swing between an Aussie and a JRT. A working breed vs a terrier. You'll need good fencing either way.

Return to Top
#1925220 - 05/21/14 04:53 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
my lab loves the kong Frisbee. my main problem with them is they are heavy and don't fly as far as some others that I have. So, far he has only been able to remove a small piece from one.

oh yeah, they also don't float so don't give one to your father to throw into the lake for the dog to retrieve ... it takes the dog a while to realize the Frisbee isn't coming back up. smile

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1925230 - 05/21/14 05:17 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
mtngrrl Offline
Gold Star
mtngrrl
Northern California
We use westpaw frisbees:

https://www.westpawdesign.com/dogs/dog-toys/zogoflex-dog-toys/zisc-flying-disc

They aren't exactly indestructible (when faced with German Shepherd jaws) but they certainly have lasted longer than any other brand. And they do float. Deja is such a frisbee hound that we have resorted to saying "The F Word" rather than "Frisbee" because she will stop everything and start begging to go play! Unfortunately, we think she's now learning to spell...

Return to Top
#1925233 - 05/21/14 05:19 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
The weimaranar has never stepped foot in the house no matter how much I try when it's really hot or really cold. It's only been the last couple years that he would even come in the garage to sleep. He's always been an outside dog but last summer I got a fan and aimed it right at him in the garage to help him stay cool.

Yeah we like high-energy dogs. Luckily we've got LOTS of room for a dog to run and play. I grew up with aussies that worked cattle. And had the most wonderful pit bull until she passed away a couple years ago. That probably contributes to my love of JRT's. My pit was such a bouncy sweetheart I figured a JRT would be the next best thing without trying to replace her.

Return to Top
#1925241 - 05/21/14 05:28 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
You all I'm really loving this thread. I'm picturing Aussie and JRT puppies -and all sorts of dogs. Puppies are just too cute - and as my husband says - 'the wigglier the better'.

Return to Top
#1925249 - 05/21/14 05:36 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I cannot believe how you all completely SPOIL your dogs. whistle

I'm a huge Australian Cattle Dog (Blue/Red Heeler)...I'm not a fan of JRT's. But the two mixed together is pure Tazmanian Devil Dog! eek

Return to Top
#1925250 - 05/21/14 05:36 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Me too but it's not helping the time tick any faster towards 5:00 though!
wink

Return to Top
#1925252 - 05/21/14 05:37 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Nothing ever does. crazy

Return to Top
#1925257 - 05/21/14 05:42 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
I've got a heeler and a mystery mutt. The heeler drives me nuts with all of his energy but that is most likely because he's not got enough to do here living in my postage stamp backyard. (This isn't my full time dog or I never would have rented this place)

The mutt lies around until it's time to go and then he's up for anything.

The heeler has had a green JW bone shaped toy for months and hasn't been able to chew through it yet although I notice the squeaker has finally fallen out.

Return to Top
#1925259 - 05/21/14 05:47 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
I'm a huge Australian Cattle Dog

Does this reflect more poorly on you, or on the breed? laugh

Return to Top
#1925260 - 05/21/14 05:47 PM Re: For Mani! RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I wouldn't know how to find my closet after work or the door to the outside if it weren't for mine herding me to them. laugh

However, back in their younger days...between the Border Collie 'heading' and the Heeler 'heeling'...the horses were 'stuck' at times. The heeler was also awful about grabbing a tail and just swinging along...she wouldn't let it go!

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6