Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1928908 - 06/03/14 04:30 PM Releasing Documents
SoonerMom Offline
New Poster
We have a customer who was on a joint account with his wife in 2010. They divorced and he removed his name from the account. The account is now closed. He is calling wanting copies of the wife's paychecks that were deposited into the account during the time he was on the account. Can we give these copies to him now?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1928926 - 06/03/14 05:03 PM Re: Releasing Documents SoonerMom
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Hmmm... I would be a little concerned that he wants the wife's paychecks.
I think I would probably contact legal counsel and get their opinion on it. Any time there is a divorce and people are removed from the account, I always get a little gun shy and err on the side of caution.

Return to Top
#1928927 - 06/03/14 05:03 PM Re: Releasing Documents SoonerMom
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
#1: I'd advise going forward never allowing a customer to "remove his name from the account". Joint accounts should be closed and a new account for the wife opened in only her name if such a situation is requested.

#2: In your specific situation question, I think the removal of his name from the account later is irrelevant. Take out sentence #2 and reexamine your question. The customer is requesting historical documents from when an account was open and when he was the account holder. Yes, you can give him the copies, in my humble opinion. You have no grounds to deny this, and he has every right to request it.

Return to Top
#1928938 - 06/03/14 05:12 PM Re: Releasing Documents BurntSienna
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
#3 If your answer is affected by the fact that they are now divorced, I'll suggest that it's not relevant.

Make no mistake, I understand you do not want to get involved and don't want to "take sides." However, if you refuse this request you are getting involved and you are taking sides.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett