Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1926867 - 05/27/14 09:34 PM Fair Lending training
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We use a well known software for training online. They have a fair lending module that we have everyone take. lenders, in addition, take separate modules for ECOA, etc. Consultants we use say that the Fair Lending training should include CRA, HMDA, etc. for everyone. Not sure I have seen that before. For lenders, yes. For loan admin clerks, tellers, etc. not so sure. We would like to hear about your fair lending training, esp. the components provided to non-lending staff. Thanks.

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#1926889 - 05/27/14 11:40 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Customer contact personnel should be aware of encouraging applications for all potential applicants, understanding that everyone is treated the same per law, policies and practices and who the appropriate officers are for additional questions. That covers (IMHO) their needs for Fair Lending, CRA and HMDA. While the comment is nice, training needs to be specific.

Return to Top
#1927048 - 05/28/14 03:37 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We cover those concepts for all staff. The online courses for HMDA and CRA are very technical and long. We thought we could add some additional points to the current training and that would cover the non-lending staff.

Thanks for the comments.

Return to Top
#1927851 - 05/29/14 09:51 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
TMortgman Offline
Washington, DC MSA
Working on exactly this right now - have a Fair Lending Plan, and a powerpoint that covers everything for line staff in detail, such as discouragement, preapprovals, prequals and apps, integration into Fair Housing, etc. We also include the HMDA information (not the detail reporting) but the information on rate spreads, so that the student understands the implementation of the ECOA data. Always worry about boring the line personnel to death with yet ANOTHER compliance training.

Return to Top
#1927858 - 05/29/14 10:13 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Many banks use a film for non-lending staff training, one that shows treatment of people coming to bank to inquire about a loan and how the manner in which they are treated can be discriminatory (promptness of greeting, told to come back another time while another applicant gets right in to see a lender, etc.)

Those positions do not need to know about underwriting etc., they need to learn how to treat people.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1929139 - 06/03/14 09:48 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We used to use the film. Now we are using an online product that is quite good but that has one Fair lending module that leans heavily to the loan side rather than being general knowledge. I think we will need to come up with our own for non-lending people but that still have face time or phone time with customers.

Return to Top
#1929183 - 06/04/14 12:44 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
A_G Online
10K Club
Don't foget to include any state-specific fair lending stuff...

Return to Top
#1929199 - 06/04/14 01:23 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
A very well-known e training module I used to administer had a Fair Lending for Frontline Personnel and Fairness in Banking that were very good for general staff.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1929528 - 06/04/14 08:11 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Trees, a lot of modules will also have training titled "Fair Lending Considerations for General Banking" or something along those lines. Or, even "Fair Treatment of Customers". Have you checked your vendor to see if something like that is available?

Return to Top
#1929730 - 06/05/14 03:19 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
I'm looking at developing one for loan servicing and loss mitigation, I don't think there is a lot of canned products out there.

There is an article in the most recent ABA Bank Compliance mag that talks about the importance of fair servicing training that is pretty interesting.

Return to Top
#1949491 - 08/06/14 01:27 PM Re: Fair Lending training bOaty
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
WE ARE TRYING TO DEVELOPE A FAIR LENDING TRAINING THAT LEANS TOWARDS THE LOAN SIDE AS OPPOSED TO THE GENERAL RULES. EVERYTIME I PRESENT A FAIR LENDING TRAINING, I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME HUM-DRUM THAT LOAN OFFICERS HAVE KNOWN FOR YEARS. ADDITIONALLY, THE EXAMINERS STATED THAT OUR TRAINING FOR BOARD WAS NOT SUFFICIENT IN THAT AREA.

OUR BANK USED AN ONLINE TRAINING IN THE PAST FOR EMPLOYEES BUT THEY HAVE DISCONTINUED IT (CEO DECISION)....

ANY IDEAS OF WHAT I COULD DO THAT IS A CHANGE UP FROM THE PAST....

Return to Top
#1949543 - 08/06/14 02:29 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
You may talk about things that gets the bank in trouble - an exception for one is discriminating against all that did not get the exception. A favor to one - the same thing. That lending policy while looked at is not as important in a comparative file review, because they look for differences in treatment - basically the least qualified borrower is the new lending benchmark - anyone denied that was better is now a potential target.

That examiners look at all the decisions of the bank (since all decisions are "Bank" decisions) - not on a LO by LO basis. The uniqueness of your policies. Some examples of discrimination and why. Difference in treatment can occur even in the commercial loan departments - why!

AND PLEASE STOP SHOUTING

Return to Top
#1949552 - 08/06/14 02:37 PM Re: Fair Lending training Rocky P
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Thanks....that helps

Return to Top
#1961204 - 09/11/14 03:27 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Is fair lending training required for all employees? If so can someone point me in the direction of where it is cited in regulatory text? Thanks

Return to Top
#1961212 - 09/11/14 03:40 PM Re: Fair Lending training Trees
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Fair lending training is not cited anywhere for anyone. You train people as applicable. For example, if tellers refer people to lending officers for loans, then you train them to refer equitably and what that means.

Return to Top
#1961217 - 09/11/14 03:44 PM Re: Fair Lending training rlcarey
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Thanks for clarifying that Randy

Return to Top