BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1931530 - 06/11/14 06:15 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I blame much of the decline on Marshall Mather, better known as Eminem...once people saw that filth coming out of Detroit they figured there was no saving it.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1931531 - 06/11/14 06:16 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
You have to go back a few generations Hap, to the MC5!!!! Now that was anarchy and chaos.

Return to Top
#1931534 - 06/11/14 06:21 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit QCL
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: QCL-MamaBear
Originally Posted By: GoBucs
The best solution for these crime infested cities is to send in the National Guard.

So you are advocating for Marshall Law?

I don't see this as declaring Marshall Law, as much as augmenting the current police force. This happens now in times of crisis...such as following a hurricane, tornado, flood, wildfire, etc. It is also used in times of need...i remember one year in NO the police were on strike during Mardi Gras, trying to force the city's hand...the governor sent in national guard troops to supplement the state police and sheriff deputies.

Theu have been used in many cities recently that hosted the republican and democratic national convention, the superbowl, the Boston Marathon, and probably many other instances i'm unaware of.

Just because they are used does not mean marshall law has been declared.

Return to Top
#1931536 - 06/11/14 06:23 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Just curious, isn't it MARTIAL Law?

Return to Top
#1931540 - 06/11/14 06:24 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
you're thinking MARITAL LAW, which gives Eddie half of everything!

yes, it is martial law, i just went with what the original poster had

Return to Top
#1931541 - 06/11/14 06:24 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Or Marital?

Return to Top
#1931542 - 06/11/14 06:25 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit HappyGilmore
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
you're thinking MARITAL LAW, which gives Eddie half of everything!

yes, it is martial law, i just went with what the original poster had

Thanks. smile

Return to Top
#1931544 - 06/11/14 06:29 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit Retired DQ
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: DeeQ
Just curious, isn't it MARTIAL Law?

Yes thank you for finding my error.

Return to Top
#1931594 - 06/11/14 07:21 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit noelekal
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: noelekal
It's less about politics than it is about morals and a work ethic. The political classes (both political parties) only manipulate our nation's declining morals and fractured work ethic.

I sit on the local housing authority board which is an eye-opening experience for the observant person. Hate to be cold about it but I've gone off the American poor. For them it's a life style choice rather than a hand up; a choice promoted by endless entitlements and "safety nets" promoted where safety nets have no business being extended.

What is needed is a people desiring to improve their lives through being upright, educated, and productive; the initiative for which might be properly propelled by a certain fear of failure, that is the failure to eat and to obtain the basic essentials of life. We don't have that at present in this nation but rather a burgeoning class of mooching lay-abouts who consider themselves entirely too special to work like the rest of us. Slothfulness is as much a vice as the more obvious vices for sloth breeds the other vices. There needs to be consequences and retribution for both idleness and lawlessness.

This is only one view but the poor in this nation need to be shamed and those who would prop them up through government programs need to be shamed as well! We're not building a better nation with our programs but rather draining away financial resources to no end, just as a dead short drains a battery, and we're creating a monstrous present and future social problem while we're at it.

We're supporting a large class of people who should have the free goodies taken away rather than providing ever more of the nation's largesse for them to use up with no show of improvement in their lives and no contribution back to society obtained from them. These people no longer represent a good "investment" if they ever did.

Great post!

Return to Top
#1931601 - 06/11/14 07:33 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit HappyGilmore
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I blame much of the decline on Marshall Mather, better known as Eminem...once people saw that filth coming out of Detroit they figured there was no saving it.

Is this a personal attack (perhaps in jest) on Mr. Mathers? Just asking 'cause you know how much I want to follow da rules of da house.
Last edited by buggs; 06/11/14 07:34 PM.
Return to Top
#1931602 - 06/11/14 07:35 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
To my knowledge Mr. Mathers is not a registered BOL user, buggs. But thanks for the concern.

Please stay on topic all.

Return to Top
#1931603 - 06/11/14 07:35 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit HappyGilmore
A_G Offline
10K Club

Will the Real Slim Shady please stand up?

DISCLAIMER: I don't blame Eminem for Detroit's decline.

Return to Top
#1931606 - 06/11/14 07:36 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Jerry Mathers? The Beaver is from Detroit?

Return to Top
#1931613 - 06/11/14 07:41 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit QCL
buggs Offline
Power Poster
To my knowledge Mr. Mathers is not a registered BOL user, buggs. But thanks for the concern.

I'm not trying to go off topic, (see how I prefaced my remark with that disclaimer, so I'm good), but there is some confusions going on around the about the moderators' interpretation of this particular policy.

Is it OK to make disparaging remarks about folk who are not registered BOL users? Some of us think this it is your informal policy to ban that type of comment.

Please provide a public response (rather than private) so we all can have a clear understanding.
Last edited by buggs; 06/11/14 07:42 PM.
Return to Top
#1931616 - 06/11/14 07:42 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: buggs

I'm not trying to go off topic, (see how I prefaced my remark with that disclaimer, so I'm good), but there some confusions going on around the about the moderators' interpretation of this particular policy.

Is it OK to make disparaging remarks about folk who are not registered BOL users? Some of us think this it is your informal policy to ban that type of comment.

Please provide a public response (rather than private) so we all can have a clear understanding.

What does your posts have to do with Detroit? If you really had a question, why wouldn't you contact a moderator?

Return to Top
#1931617 - 06/11/14 07:44 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit Sound Tactic
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: buggs

I'm not trying to go off topic, (see how I prefaced my remark with that disclaimer, so I'm good), but there some confusions going on around the about the moderators' interpretation of this particular policy.

What does your posts have to do with Detroit? If you really had a question, why wouldn't you contact a moderator?

Thank you for your comment, Captain Obvious. It adds so much to the discussion.

Return to Top
#1931619 - 06/11/14 07:45 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
buggs Offline
Power Poster
So, I guess it's OK for me to blame Ted Nugent and his filth for the decline of Detroit, right?

Return to Top
#1931620 - 06/11/14 07:46 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Not really! Go troll the moderators in your own thread. You can make an entire topic on what you think the rules are vs what the moderators think they are. Or you could PM them then run out of the PM like usual. Either way, I think we were having a very good discussion in this thread. Your posts have nothing to do with the images posted or the plight of Detroit.

Return to Top
#1931624 - 06/11/14 07:47 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit A_G
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
The moderators have received notification, which goes to all moderators, of posts that were off topic in this thread. I removed one such post, though it has reappeared.

Return to Top
#1931629 - 06/11/14 07:49 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Mr. Mathers house was in the slideshow of pictures, buggs.
That made it very much ON TOPIC.

Return to Top
#1931647 - 06/11/14 08:05 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit Sound Tactic
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic
Or you could PM them then run out of the PM like usual. Either way, I think we were having a very good discussion in this thread.

Yes, the photos are tragic and interesting all at the same time. The publication of the series is is also a commentary about how technology will help document history for future generations.

Red, I would send a PM to the moderators, but for some reason unknown to me, I am usually ignored and that's a fact.

By the way, I'm having trouble understanding how Happy's post about M.M. is on topic.

Return to Top
#1931649 - 06/11/14 08:10 PM Re: recent photo timeline of detroit DoS
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
And done.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3