Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1931253 - 06/10/14 10:10 PM Waiving ATR current employment status verification
Sewanee, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
TN
One of the 8 factors to consider for ATR compliance is the applicant’s current employment status, if you need and are using income from employment for qualifying purposes. I’m of the opinion that third-party verification of the current employment status is not something that can be waived. Also, in my opinion, use of W-2s or paystubs, which verify amount of income, are not sufficient to verify current employment status.

Now, after everything we’ve gone through in recent months to put policies and procedures in place, I have those who think it’s OK to waive those because there is a cost involved for some of the larger employers. I’d like to hear what others have to say.

Return to Top
Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage Rule
#1931266 - 06/10/14 11:30 PM Re: Waiving ATR current employment status verification Sewanee, CRCM
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
This has been discussed. You might want to search "employment verification" in this forum. Here is one to start:

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbth...rue#Post1884379

Return to Top
#1931297 - 06/11/14 01:14 PM Re: Waiving ATR current employment status verification Sewanee, CRCM
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I understand that those who feel constrained by the ATR requirements, including verification of employment, feel that those rules may disqualify some applicants, thus affecting the loan originator's income.

Frankly, short memories are often what puts lending and regulation on their pendulum swings from bad to good and back again. It's time to understand that loose underwriting "standards" were part of the problem that resulted in the bursting of the real estate bubble in 2008, the worst recession in most Americans' memories, and the current more rigid regulatory environment.

Would those jokers prefer to sneak in one more borrower on the margin and make a couple of extra bucks, or be back on unemployment?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1931743 - 06/12/14 12:12 AM Re: Waiving ATR current employment status verification John Burnett
Sewanee, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
TN
Originally Posted By: John Burnett
I understand that those who feel constrained by the ATR requirements, including verification of employment, feel that those rules may disqualify some applicants, thus affecting the loan originator's income.

Frankly, short memories are often what puts lending and regulation on their pendulum swings from bad to good and back again. It's time to understand that loose underwriting "standards" were part of the problem that resulted in the bursting of the real estate bubble in 2008, the worst recession in most Americans' memories, and the current more rigid regulatory environment.

Would those jokers prefer to sneak in one more borrower on the margin and make a couple of extra bucks, or be back on unemployment?

John, I wish I thought this was the motivation behind the action. Unfortunately, I believe this is a case of "I don't like the rule, I think it doesn't make any sense, so I just won't follow the rule."

Additional conversations are to follow, so should make for an interesting week.

Thanks for the input.

Return to Top
#1931762 - 06/12/14 12:38 PM Re: Waiving ATR current employment status verification Sewanee, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
sewanee, you are probably spot on in your thinking. wink I had in-house council make a similar comment the other day. Community bank's in particular have a really tuff time with this concept...it's just not how they have operated and almost without fail know their customers and where they work, live and play.

For them, it should be simple.

No we won't, yes we will, or WHY did I DO that!!!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1932089 - 06/12/14 07:58 PM Re: Waiving ATR current employment status verification Sewanee, CRCM
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Sewanee and RR -- I think you're probably right. On the other hand, if we got rid of all the requirements that we don't like and don't think make sense ....

Life would be a lot sweeter, but a lot of Compliance Officers would be looking for work.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1932099 - 06/12/14 08:10 PM Re: Waiving ATR current employment status verification Sewanee, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Darn tooten!

Oh..and when I said, "for them, it should be simple"...that almost sounds like I think they should be able to play by different rules.

Absolutely not my intention! laugh

Return to Top
#1938821 - 07/09/14 01:50 PM Re: Waiving ATR current employment status verification Sewanee, CRCM
meeksfor3 Offline
meeksfor3
Kentucky
We are abiding by the General ATR rules and not Appendix Q because we are a small creditor. Is there anything, regulatory wise, that says we would need a VOE instead of a current paystub? I think for safety and soundness we would want a VOE but some of our loan officers think a current paystub is sufficient. It just seems we could be putting ourselves at risk even though we may not be out of compliance with ATR rules.

Return to Top
#1938822 - 07/09/14 01:55 PM Re: Waiving ATR current employment status verification Sewanee, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
We do a verbal verification to verify current employment since a paycheck does not prove anything other than they have worked there recently. wink
Last edited by RR Joker; 07/09/14 01:55 PM.

Return to Top
#1938824 - 07/09/14 01:59 PM Re: Waiving ATR current employment status verification Sewanee, CRCM
meeksfor3 Offline
meeksfor3
Kentucky
That is my thinking too but you know how some folks want the easy way out. whistle

Return to Top