BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#193333 - 05/25/04 04:34 PM Re: Shrek 2
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

If we can go back to talking about Shrek 2, I thought the last 10 minutes were the funniest I have ever seen in a movie. The scene where Puss N Boots gets caught holding a dime bag of catnip and instantly says, "That's not mine" is hysterical.

Quote:

My two cents-I watched Popeye cartoons as a kid but as an adult, I realize how much of that humor went over my head.

I guess I didn't realize that spinach wasn't spinach. Color me naive.

But thanks for making our point about inappropriate jokes (i.e., drug use) for a movie targeting children.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#193334 - 05/25/04 05:54 PM Re: Shrek 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

But thanks for making our point about inappropriate jokes (i.e., drug use) for a movie targeting children.

Jokerman,
Actually, I just wanted to see who would be naive enough to take the bait. You win!

Return to Top
#193335 - 05/25/04 06:28 PM Re: Shrek 2
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Jokerman,
Actually, I just wanted to see who would be naive enough to take the bait. You win!

Well, boy-howdy, am I embarrassed! Kudos to you, anon, for pointing out my naïveté - how simplistic of me to be concerned about what indoctrination is being presented to America's youth!

Return to Top
#193336 - 05/25/04 06:42 PM Re: Shrek 2
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

double entendres

I think that is what got me. That and some of the sophomoric humor that I would not want my little ones repeating. Warner Brothers and others learned a long time ago how to make animated features that were funny for kids and adults alike. Just last year, Nemo got it right. The Toy Story movies got it right, but so many do not get it right.

2002 Top movies by Domestic gross: (Do you notice something missing?)

1 Spider-Man PG-13
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers PG-13
3 Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones PG
4 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets PG
5 My Big Fat Greek Wedding PG
6. Signs PG-13
7 Austin Powers in Goldmember PG-13
8 Men in Black II PG-13
9 Ice Age PG
10. Chicago PG-13

That's right, not a single solitary R rated movie! (Though I am not sure Austin Powers should not have been rated R--I did not see it.) I am not sure if this is true in 2003, but I'd bet most of the top ten were not R rated.

The reason you don't see number one rated "R" movies is there isn't enough people who can go to those movies to make it number one. These days teenagers are going to the movies more than ever. They are making their own money and spending it at the movies. It is almost a death sentence for a movie these days if it is rated "R". I don't remember the statistics but the amount of money spent on movies from kids ages 13 to 17 is huge. If the movie is rated "R" they lose all that revenue.

But where are the G rated movies?

Return to Top
#193337 - 05/25/04 06:51 PM Re: Shrek 2
RachelD Offline
Gold Star
If she can sit through a movie at home than she can sit in a theatre.... Just bring something to prop her up because she won't be able to see over anyone.

Return to Top
#193338 - 05/26/04 08:28 PM Re: Shrek 2
inaneusername Offline
New Poster
I took my daughter to "monsters Inc." at 2 1/2. we went to a discount theater and it was the best $10 i ever spent. Since then, we have sat thru some great movies, we've also had to leave. As long as you aren't mad about "losing"the money i say go for it.

Return to Top
#193339 - 05/27/04 01:11 PM Re: Shrek 2
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
CubDave,
There was a blurb in USA Today this morning about the trailer that came on after the credits. Approximately 70% of the auidence missed them. Teaser: They answer the "Where's Dragon" question. I would describe it here, but would not want to spoil it for anyone nor would I want to be the catalyst for a diatribe on the dangers of interspecies relationships.

Return to Top
#193340 - 05/27/04 01:45 PM Re: Shrek 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Ken - I just figure I'll see it when it comes to DVD - along with the 18 1/2 extra hours of bonus footage they are sure to have!

Return to Top
#193341 - 05/27/04 02:06 PM Re: Shrek 2
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
What did you think of the scene where Pinocchio is lowered into the dungeon ala Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible, complete with the MI theme music playing in the background. Pinocchio is then encouraged to lie about wearing women's underwear because they need his nose to grow, only to discover that he actually is wearing a thong. You think they were making a subtle jab at the oft repeated unanswered questions about Tom's "masculinity"?

Return to Top
#193342 - 05/27/04 06:09 PM Re: Shrek 2
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Man of My Life hates cartoons, but even he liked the first Shrek! Maybe I can get him to go to Shrek 2 if I tell him there's a cat in it as one of the main characters.

I would also like to see Van Helsing and Troy, but I won't be able to get MOML to agree to go. He is big time into WWII movies. We are watching a taping of Band of Brothers; on episode 8 tonight. (No CSI tonight!)

Return to Top
#193343 - 05/27/04 06:39 PM Re: Shrek 2
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Nanwa - my son saw Van Helsing and loved it. He said it probably had some of the best special effects he'd ever seen.

Return to Top
#193344 - 05/27/04 07:11 PM Re: Shrek 2
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I loved Van Helsing.. but then again, I'm a Dracula/Wolfman/Dr. Frankenstein's Monster fan.

Return to Top
#193345 - 05/27/04 11:57 PM Re: Shrek 2
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots was too funny!

Puss in Boots was funny, but I liked Pinocchio the best. "I'm not wearing women's underwear." and "I'm a real boy." are two of the funniest lines in the movie.
Last edited by Tony Wade; 05/27/04 11:57 PM.

Return to Top
#193346 - 05/28/04 04:58 AM Re: Shrek 2
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Nanwa,
Glad to take you to see Troy if the opportunity arises (will even spring for the popcorn), but I just can't mesh psyches with the Van person.

Return to Top
#193347 - 05/28/04 12:48 PM Re: Shrek 2
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Pegasus, I love any movie about ancient Roman times. I watched Julius Caesar, with Marlon Brando just a couple of weeks ago. And I love the classic monster flicks, Dracula, Creature of the Black Lagoon etc. And then of course, there's Brad Pitt and Hugh Jackman, but I won't go there in this forum!

PS. Watched two episodes of Band of Brothers last night. I never, ever liked war movies (modern history) but that has to be one of the best series made on the subject. The men of Easy company are acted with depth, and, while they keep the gore factor to a minimum, they still get accross the intensity of the battles. It harkens back to the good old days of movie making, where special effects, gore and sex were not the main things to sell a movie. The story is.

Return to Top
#193348 - 06/01/04 09:30 PM Re: Shrek 2
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Haven't seen Shrek yet, but Troy was excellent. The 'gore factor' wasn't too bad - although it is extremely violent (isn't all war?). I really enjoyed it.

Return to Top
#193349 - 06/02/04 01:53 AM Re: Shrek 2
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I took my son to see Shrek 2, not much of a story, but cute nonetheless. Of course, I just love Eddie Murphy, he is just too funny...

Return to Top
#193350 - 06/10/04 07:21 PM Re: Shrek 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

When the donkey becomes a stallion is the best part. Only Eddie Murphy could pull that off. GREAT.....2 thumbs up!!

Return to Top
#193351 - 06/10/04 08:52 PM Re: Shrek 2
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I took my (almost) 3 year old son to see Shrek 2. He sat through it except for one potty break. I asked if he liked it, he said, "No, it was loud."

I loved the movie.

Return to Top
#193352 - 06/14/04 03:08 PM Re: Shrek 2
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I'm waiting to see the after affects of taking my 6 and 9 year old kids.

After the first Shrek the youngest picked up the "I have to save my @$$" phrase (It took 3 mouthfulls of Dawn to get him to quit saying it). There were a lot more for him to pick up and repeat in the second movie.

Return to Top
#193353 - 06/14/04 05:38 PM Re: Shrek 2
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

After the first Shrek the youngest picked up the "I have to save my @$$" phrase (It took 3 mouthfulls of Dawn to get him to quit saying it).

Oh my goodness, poor Dawnie!

Return to Top
#193354 - 06/14/04 06:25 PM Re: Shrek 2
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...

Return to Top
#193355 - 06/14/04 10:46 PM Re: Shrek 2
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

Quote:

After the first Shrek the youngest picked up the "I have to save my @$$" phrase (It took 3 mouthfulls of Dawn to get him to quit saying it).

Oh my goodness, poor Dawnie!

My niece uses vinegar on her son when he says bad things (her husband too). Just a drop on the finger placed on his tongue and he thinks twice about saying it again (her son not her husband - he is the one teaching the poor kid bad things.)

Return to Top
#193356 - 06/14/04 11:19 PM Re: Shrek 2
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Who gets the vinegar when we parents teach our kids the bad words by allowing them to see movies with inappropriate language?

Return to Top
#193357 - 06/14/04 11:54 PM Re: Shrek 2
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I guess it would be the parents. Or you could try to pretend like you are giving the donkey a drop of vinegar for saying nasty things.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5