BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#193383 - 06/15/04 08:34 PM Re: Shrek 2
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I would have to side with 'yes' it should be outlawed.

Nikko, how dare you - I can't believe you would try to impose your beliefs on me! You can't legislate morality, you know! What's right for you isn't necessarily right for me!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#193384 - 06/15/04 08:35 PM Re: Shrek 2
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

In my OPINION I don't see why that question even needs to be asked. I don't see why a parent would physically hurt their child. I also don't see why they would want their child to be in fear of receiving physical pain if they do something "wrong". I never want my child to be afraid of me. But if you want a yes or no answer then I would have to side with 'yes' it should be outlawed.

As humans, we learn from pain. That pain may be physical, emotional, or psychological. Better that I as a parent use an infliction of controlled pain to teach my child so they won't have to suffer a worse uncontrolled pain later on. If a lesson can be taught without pain, so much the better. But not all lessons can be taught that way. And any punishment you mete out will lead to some level of pain. What makes inflicting emotional pain on your child by isolating them from their friends any less traumatic than the physical pain of a spanking? Are you advocating no punishment at all?

No, I don't want my child to fear me. And believe me, I know what I'm talking about here. I grew up in a physically abusive home where I was very, very afraid of my father. Chastisement, done in a correct manner at appropriate times, does not lead to a fear emotion. And again, chastisement is only one of many tools in the arsenal of an informed parent to discipline their children.

Return to Top
#193385 - 06/15/04 08:39 PM Re: Shrek 2
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Quote:

The discipline should always match the offense.

Just because I like to pick nits I read an article that addressed this, albeit from a very specific and narrow perspective. (background) A parent was concerned with how to change a specific behavior in one of her children. When entering the house from coming home from school, the child would drop his backpack, coat and shoes in the middle of the floor and proceed to live the life of a 10-year old (“Can I have a snack”, video games, homework, whatever comes to mind). The parent had tried numerous times to convince the child to pick up his things including different types of punishment (threats of grounding, etc). In the end, the parent was given advice to ground the child to his bed for the remainder of the afternoon when it happened again.

Now for the article.

The article began with the parent writing back in to argue about the advice saying it was “unfair” and did not “match the offense.” The author responded back without any sympathy and said that the end goal in this case was not to punish the child, but to correct the behavior.

Mind, this should not be applied to all situations, just those that make sense. Too bad common sense is so difficult to pin down and describe…

Return to Top
#193386 - 06/15/04 08:42 PM Re: Shrek 2
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
I forgot to add...

I haven't seen the movie yet. But I'm looking forward to it, and I'll be taking my 4-almost-5-year old.

Return to Top
#193387 - 06/15/04 08:47 PM Re: Shrek 2
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Nikko

I find your answer frightening! I suppose we should outlaw innoculations also, they really hurt. You should have seen how my poor daughter cried when the doctor poked her with those two needles today. It would have broken your heart. Sometimes what is good for us hurts a little.

MagicBanker is correct--discipline is not always physical and is not always negative.

If you noted before I mentioned if you hit a kids hand way from a hot stove you are doing this to protect them. If you give them a vaccination shot this is to protect them. If you spank them for spilling milk or any other thing they do "wrong" (exept something that may harm them or others) you are not protecting them. Therefore, I find it wrong.

Magic is right there are other ways to discipline than physical and that is the path I choose for my kids. Other than what I mentioned above I don't see how anyone can justify physically harming a child in the name of discipline. I will never change my view on this, as you may never change yours. That is our own choice to make.

Return to Top
#193388 - 06/15/04 08:49 PM Re: Shrek 2
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

That is our own choice to make.

How can you say this and at the same time say it should be outlawed?

Return to Top
#193389 - 06/15/04 08:52 PM Re: Shrek 2
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

Nikko, how dare you - I can't believe you would try to impose your beliefs on me! You can't legislate morality, you know! What's right for you isn't necessarily right for me!

I didn't impose my beliefs on you. I answered the question as asked. I would have to have power over you to implement my belief to impose them on you. Just because I state my belief does not mean I am imposing those beliefs on you. I don't have the power to change the law.

Return to Top
#193390 - 06/15/04 08:53 PM Re: Shrek 2
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

If you spank them for spilling milk or any other thing they do "wrong" (exept something that may harm them or others) you are not protecting them. Therefore, I find it wrong.

Spilling milk is in itself neither "right" nor "wrong". It is morally neutral. However, if you had instructed your child to stop throwing a ball across the table, and the child continued and as a result spilled the milk, this is "wrong" and should be punished. Is chastisement the appropriate punishment? Maybe and maybe not. It depends on a lot of variables. But Nikko, you didn't answer the question as to why parental infliction of controlled emotional pain is preferable to parental infliction of controlled physical pain.

Return to Top
#193391 - 06/15/04 09:05 PM Re: Shrek 2
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

My husband and I had an interesting conversation last night about the way we were raised by our own parents. I was taught a healthy, respectful fear of my parents. It was a great motivation for avoiding trouble. My husband told me that he never was taught that "fear" and he WISHES HE HAD BEEN!

One of the main reasons that kids are bringing guns to school, shoplifting, shooting their friends, etc. etc. is the proliferation of two ideas. First, the idea that disciplining your child with a spanking is abusive. It worked for CENTURIES, and frankly, I hold to the biblical proverb "He that spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him promptly" (Proverbs 13:24).

What is abusive is raising children who do not have a healthy respect for their parents, and who, NO ignore them. How well do "time outs" really work? That depends on whether you think being sent to your room actually is effective punishment. The only effect it has is that the parent avoids disciplining their child.

The second problem plaguing the nation is the fact that people no longer hold fast to a concept of objective moral theory. Too many people seem to think that there is no right or wrong, only situational ethics. Guess what, murder is always wrong, taking a gun to school is always wrong, but because we lack strong ethics in this country now it happens far too frequently.

I was raised in a household where when I screwed up as a young child, I was given a light spanking. When I was old enough to really understand the concepts of right/wrong and crime/punishment, the severity of the spanking increased. In fact, I was allowed to go out back and pick the switch that would be used to discipline me. I remember quite well that if my Father and Mother said not to do something, I would face serious consequences if I ignored their wishes or did the wrong thing. I recently had a discussion with my father about this, and and he laughed at me, telling me that although I remember him telling me to pick the switch often, he rarely USED it. The walk out back to decide what kind of spanking I wanted gave me time to consider what I had done. I would then take the switch to my room and await my punishment. Both my father and mother told me that the knowledge and threat of being whipped were more than enough to keep me doing the right thing. It worked as a deterrant to doing bad things when I knew if I did them I would get a whipping.

What's funny about this is that according to my father, my mother, AND my grandmother, I was never spanked with any "weapon", and I was never spanked hard. But knowing it could happen worked.

I pity children who aren't brought up with at least some fear and respect for their parents. Parents who are their children's friends are good parents. Parents who are their children's BUDDIES are horrible parents.

Return to Top
#193392 - 06/15/04 09:06 PM Re: Shrek 2
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, what's right is right. We DO legislate morality (no murder, no theft, etc. etc.) Sorry to burst your bubble.

Return to Top
#193393 - 06/15/04 09:08 PM Re: Shrek 2
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
In our house spankings are only for direct defiance/direct disobedience/smart mouth responses. No other offenses in the house is a spanking offense. Mistakes are not punishable. Failure to perform chores etc... are not spanking offenses--those are rather opportunities for teaching responsibility.

Return to Top
#193394 - 06/15/04 09:11 PM Re: Shrek 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jumping right into the thick of things.....When my son was about 10, I learned that he and a few friends went out a window on our third floor flat roof, which is only about 4'X6'. I sat him down to explain what could have happened. If he fell off and died, that wouldn't necessarily be the worst that could happen. He might strike his back across the stair rail below and become paralyzed or crack his head open and become a vegetable. He would spend the rest of his life in a wheel chair and his friends would stop coming to see him. I'd have to put a hospital bed in the dining room and make his food in a blender and feed it to him thru a tube. By the time I finished painting this gruesome picture, his lip was quivering and the tears were falling. He offered to accept whatever punishment I dished out. After a big hug, I told him sitting and listening to me was his punisment and he never went on the roof again. The moral of the story? I really wanted to slap him and say "What? Are you crazy!" But I think this method worked much better in the long run.

Return to Top
#193395 - 06/15/04 09:12 PM Re: Shrek 2
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I just don't believe in physical violence for disciplining a child. Because they can't defend themselves. A 6 year old is no match for an adult physically. They also may not be a match emotionally but at least they can fight back. They may lose and be upset but there won't be any bruise the next day.
I believe spanking leaves physical pain as well as emotional pain. To me it seems the child is being punished twice.

I know some of you disagree with me. That is your right. I'm not trying to impose my belief system on you. I am just stating my beliefs.

Are you questioning me to learn why I believe these things or to try and prove my beliefs are invalid?

Return to Top
#193396 - 06/15/04 09:12 PM Re: Shrek 2
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Spanking is also age-oriented. Spanking an 11- or 12-year old is rarely the correct discipline for a child that old. But for a 3- or 4-year old it is more suitable as a punishment because they often cannot correctly identify with and learn from emotional pain.

Return to Top
#193397 - 06/15/04 09:15 PM Re: Shrek 2
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, what's right is right. We DO legislate morality (no murder, no theft, etc. etc.) Sorry to burst your bubble.

It's not the morality of murder that is legislated, but the fact that murder impedes on the rights of those being murdered. Just as someone said in a thread not too long ago, "You have the right to swing your arms in a 360 degree circle, until you hit someone."

Return to Top
#193398 - 06/15/04 09:25 PM Re: Shrek 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

This has really gotten off what the first posting was about. I have seen the first Shrek and plan to see Shrek 2 tonight.
Okay on the other discussion which has taken over. I believe there has to be a degree of fear in our children. I believe that that is what is wrong with a lot of children these days, they fear nothing. When I was coming up if you got in trouble at school you were in trouble when you got home. Now children know that the teachers nor the parents are going to do anything for them to fear. I was raised with spankings and so was my son. Neither were abused. I am a responsible adult and so is my son.
I do believe that each parent has to raise their child in the way that they feel is best for their child. I would never tell another parent what they should or shouln't do with their child and in turn they should let me raise mine my way. I do not believe that the government should tell any parent how to raise their child. As long as they are not physically or mentally abusing the child the government should stay out of it. Just my feeling, not trying to impose on anyone else.

Return to Top
#193399 - 06/15/04 09:36 PM Re: Shrek 2
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I respect anyone's opinion to spank or not spank their child. I do not respect anyone who physically harms their child while doing it. I do not respect anyone who wants to pass a law to outlaw reasonable corporal punishment in my house.

Return to Top
#193400 - 06/15/04 10:26 PM Re: Shrek 2
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't impose my beliefs on you.

I didn't say you did. I pointed out that you wanted to.

Quote:

I would have to have power over you to implement my belief to impose them on you. Just because I state my belief does not mean I am imposing those beliefs on you. I don't have the power to change the law.

We live in a democratic republic. The will of the people is the supreme law, and all that. So you do, in fact, have power over me.

Some apparently didn't pick up on the fact that I was lampooning moral relativism by my questioning of you, Nikko, so here's one from your archives to help drive home the point:

Quote:

Even if I am not very comfortable seeing gays marry, do I have the right to tell them that they can't?

Let me ask you, even if you are not very comfortable seeing me spank my child, do you have thr right to tell me that I can't?

Return to Top
#193401 - 06/15/04 11:16 PM Re: Shrek 2
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

I just don't believe in physical violence for disciplining a child. Because they can't defend themselves. A 6 year old is no match for an adult physically. They also may not be a match emotionally but at least they can fight back. They may lose and be upset but there won't be any bruise the next day.
I believe spanking leaves physical pain as well as emotional pain. To me it seems the child is being punished twice.

I know some of you disagree with me. That is your right. I'm not trying to impose my belief system on you. I am just stating my beliefs.

Are you questioning me to learn why I believe these things or to try and prove my beliefs are invalid?

Nikko, I have to say I agree with you to a point (I don't think making spanking a crime is the answer)

I think it is so hypocriticle when a parent slaps a child for hitting. They are saying "it is not ok for you to hurt the person you hit but it is ok for me to hit you because I am bigger and want to teach you a lesson" How stupid.

My daughter is now 28 and was raised without spanking. She was disiplined and punished when necessary. It is amazing what a firm voice can do. She used to say that her dad had a certain look that made her feel worse than any spanking ever could.

I also believe that parents are too soft on kids today. When trying to make a child behave you shouldn't be saying "Now hunny, you know mommy doesn't like it when you do that" in that sweet sing-songy voice. ARGGGGGH. Stating in a firm deep voice that what they are doing is not acceptable and they better stop it now or they will be punished for the behavior is what is needed. I think too often parents let a childs behavior irritate them until they are at the breaking point and then they strike out. That is when the disipline becomes abusive. I am speaking from 18 years of an abusive relationship with my parents.

Return to Top
#193402 - 06/16/04 06:50 AM Re: Shrek 2
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
So - would y'all recommend SHREK this weekend or not?

Return to Top
#193403 - 06/16/04 12:10 PM Re: Shrek 2
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
LOL Bonnie, good question.

Return to Top
#193404 - 06/16/04 12:55 PM Re: Shrek 2
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I really enjoyed Shrek 2. Thought it was better than the first one.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#193405 - 06/16/04 01:25 PM Re: Shrek 2
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Bonnie and Waldensouth,
What are you trying to do, hijack this thread? Now, let's get back to the original topic: NPR should not be funded with tax dollars, primarily because I don't agree with what they say...

Return to Top
#193406 - 06/16/04 01:44 PM Re: Shrek 2
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

...Now, let's get back to the original topic: NPR...

baiting...baiting...

nah.

Return to Top
#193407 - 06/16/04 02:47 PM Re: Shrek 2
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Quote:

So - would y'all recommend SHREK this weekend or not?

Yes.....I also thought it was better than the first one. I saw it with my 3 yr. old and I plan on seeing it in theatres again!

Return to Top
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5