BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#193308 - 05/24/04 04:14 PM Shrek 2
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
What a weekend for Shrek 2!! I just read that since it opened on Wednesday, it's brought in more than $125 million!

I helped to boost their ticket sales by taken my child to it yesterday. I thought it was pretty funny. Maybe not quite as good as the first one, but I still had a good laugh.

Did anyone else go and see it?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#193309 - 05/24/04 04:20 PM Re: Shrek 2
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Yes, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Return to Top
#193310 - 05/24/04 04:35 PM Re: Shrek 2
mrenderman Offline
100 Club
mrenderman
Wisconsin
We are taking our family this coming weekend to see it. I cannot wait. I have seen that trailers for it and it looks wonderful. I have heard though from many other people that it is not as good as the first. That's OK with me because I love donkey either way.

Return to Top
#193311 - 05/24/04 04:36 PM Re: Shrek 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw it - been a while since I have been to a packed movie theater. I thought it was better than the first! (although I hear I missed some extra scenes after the credit - I hate it when they do that - what's the point!)

Return to Top
#193312 - 05/24/04 04:37 PM Re: Shrek 2
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I can't wait to see it, the first one was cute and funny!

Return to Top
#193313 - 05/24/04 04:44 PM Re: Shrek 2
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Is it the opinion of this board that I should run out and see it at the theatre rather than waiting to be subjected to it time after time week after week when it comes out on video by my 6 year old buddy?

Return to Top
#193314 - 05/24/04 04:47 PM Re: Shrek 2
carrieb Offline
100 Club
Minneapolis
My two-year-old has just about worn out her DVD of the first one-and she just got it at Easter!! I wish she was big enough to go to the theatre, but it would make me nervous to take her. My hubby really wants to see the second. It was his idea. I don't think she's old enough is she?

Return to Top
#193315 - 05/24/04 04:49 PM Re: Shrek 2
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
My son went to the theater for the first time when he was about 2 and a half. He did just fine. He was actually more interested in the projection room than actually watching the movie.

Return to Top
#193316 - 05/24/04 04:53 PM Re: Shrek 2
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
My daughter and I saw it this weekend. It was great! I thought it was better than the first one - I definitely laughed harder. Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots was too funny!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#193317 - 05/24/04 04:56 PM Re: Shrek 2
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Great movie. Puss'n Boots is a scene stealer! Lots of funny stuff laid between the lines, gigs of everything from Disney movies to Alien, poster of Sir Justin on the ceiling...both the adults and the children in attendance were laughing, although not usually at the same time.

Return to Top
#193318 - 05/24/04 04:59 PM Re: Shrek 2
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
I thought that Prince Charming's "Charlie's Angels" hair flip was hilarious and then when the "Nobel Steed" did it, I cracked up.

Return to Top
#193319 - 05/24/04 05:14 PM Re: Shrek 2
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

gigs of everything from Disney movies to Alien,

My personal favorite was the OJ Simpson reference. I was still laughing about that one when I woke up the next morning.

Return to Top
#193320 - 05/24/04 05:20 PM Re: Shrek 2
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My son was also about 2 1/2 when he went to the theatre for the first time. I remember him watching the move (Aladdin - I think) from my lap.

Looks like I'll need to go see Shrek. My son (now almost 17) saw it Friday night and liked it. Of course he went mostly because that's what 'everybody' from the party he went to was going to do.

Return to Top
#193321 - 05/24/04 05:53 PM Re: Shrek 2
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
I did not see it, but the line for the drive-in's this weekend was about two miles long! I don't know if they fit all those people in, but you wouldn't find me waiting for that!!!!

Return to Top
#193322 - 05/24/04 06:07 PM Re: Shrek 2
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
My husband and I took our three year old to go see it over the weekend and LMAO at that Puss N Boots character! Its true that there is a lot of laughing from the adults and children...but at different things. My daughter would ask me why I was laughing at a certain scene and I just couldn't say!

I can't wait for it to come out on video because having a three year old in attendance does mean you miss a scene or two....overall it was great! The cat still cracks me up...

Return to Top
#193323 - 05/24/04 06:24 PM Re: Shrek 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

My two-year-old has just about worn out her DVD of the first one-and she just got it at Easter!! I wish she was big enough to go to the theatre, but it would make me nervous to take her. My hubby really wants to see the second. It was his idea. I don't think she's old enough is she?

Some theaters have what are called Mom's days to bring youg children. Here, we have Crown Theaters which during the day on Wednesdays has these things - the idea being you don;t need to worry about your child crying and disturbing others, etc.

Return to Top
#193324 - 05/24/04 06:42 PM Re: Shrek 2
okstgrad Offline
Quote:

What a weekend for Shrek 2!! I just read that since it opened on Wednesday, it's brought in more than $125 million!

I helped to boost their ticket sales by taken my child to it yesterday. I thought it was pretty funny. Maybe not quite as good as the first one, but I still had a good laugh.

Did anyone else go and see it?

I thought it was much better than the first one. Actually I really didn't like the first one, but this one was very funny.

Return to Top
#193325 - 05/24/04 09:05 PM Re: Shrek 2
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I remember watching the first Shrek and enjoying it thoroughly. I also remember discussing Shrek with my wife and agreeing that we would not want our children watching it until they were much older. Just an opinion. It has been so long since we saw the first one that I can't remember which jokes we did not think were appropriate for little ones. The two of us will watch Shrek 2, but not our 2 or 4 year old.

The two kids started watching a DVD of Casper (the movie) this weekend, but the language was awful for children. We turned it off. There is even cursing in Stuart Little. Who do movie makers think the audience for these movies is? Or do they really think that parents want their children exposed to curse words at an early age? The other question I have is why do they have happy meal prizes and toys for movies small children can't even see (or shouldn't see)?

Return to Top
#193326 - 05/24/04 09:40 PM Re: Shrek 2
Lissa P. Offline
Gold Star
Texas, USA
Quote:

:Who do movie makers think the audience for these movies is? Or do they really think that parents want their children exposed to curse words at an early age? The other question I have is why do they have happy meal prizes and toys for movies small children can't even see (or shouldn't see)?

Amen!!! Why are there no "G" rated movies for children any more?

Return to Top
#193327 - 05/24/04 09:49 PM Re: Shrek 2
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Who do movie makers think the audience for these movies is?

The issue is the same as for those self-identified "moderate" journalists from the other thread. In the little world of the movie-makers, there is nothing at all questionable about the language or double entendres in these movies. What's more, you are probably a knuckle-dragging fundamentalist for even questioning such content.

Return to Top
#193328 - 05/25/04 02:36 AM Re: Shrek 2
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

double entendres

I think that is what got me. That and some of the sophomoric humor that I would not want my little ones repeating. Warner Brothers and others learned a long time ago how to make animated features that were funny for kids and adults alike. Just last year, Nemo got it right. The Toy Story movies got it right, but so many do not get it right.

2002 Top movies by Domestic gross: (Do you notice something missing?)

1 Spider-Man PG-13
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers PG-13
3 Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones PG
4 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets PG
5 My Big Fat Greek Wedding PG
6. Signs PG-13
7 Austin Powers in Goldmember PG-13
8 Men in Black II PG-13
9 Ice Age PG
10. Chicago PG-13

That's right, not a single solitary R rated movie! (Though I am not sure Austin Powers should not have been rated R--I did not see it.) I am not sure if this is true in 2003, but I'd bet most of the top ten were not R rated.

Return to Top
#193329 - 05/25/04 02:48 PM Re: Shrek 2
carrieb Offline
100 Club
Minneapolis
I'm on the fence here. I do agree that inappropriate words should be left out of children's movies. However, I don't think it is harmful to a child when there is content with hidden meanings (phrases without the offensive words that kids might pick out), which, let's admit it, makes it more appealing to adults. Kids generally aren't going to remember and repeat a remark if they have no reason to believe it is funny or it means anything.

When I was little, I remember learning that anyother way to say happy is gay. My dad and I were watching TV and I called a man "gay." My dad was appalled (we know what meaning he was thinking). He scolded me to never say that about someone and I couldn't figue out what I did wrong. I really don't have much of a point here but it does show that these issues are not new.

Return to Top
#193330 - 05/25/04 03:17 PM Re: Shrek 2
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

double entendres

I think that is what got me. That and some of the sophomoric humor that I would not want my little ones repeating. Warner Brothers and others learned a long time ago how to make animated features that were funny for kids and adults alike. Just last year, Nemo got it right. The Toy Story movies got it right, but so many do not get it right.

2002 Top movies by Domestic gross: (Do you notice something missing?)

1 Spider-Man PG-13
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers PG-13
3 Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones PG
4 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets PG
5 My Big Fat Greek Wedding PG
6. Signs PG-13
7 Austin Powers in Goldmember PG-13
8 Men in Black II PG-13
9 Ice Age PG
10. Chicago PG-13

That's right, not a single solitary R rated movie! (Though I am not sure Austin Powers should not have been rated R--I did not see it.) I am not sure if this is true in 2003, but I'd bet most of the top ten were not R rated.

The reason you don't see number one rated "R" movies is there isn't enough people who can go to those movies to make it number one. These days teenagers are going to the movies more than ever. They are making their own money and spending it at the movies. It is almost a death sentence for a movie these days if it is rated "R". I don't remember the statistics but the amount of money spent on movies from kids ages 13 to 17 is huge. If the movie is rated "R" they lose all that revenue.

Return to Top
#193331 - 05/25/04 04:19 PM Re: Shrek 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

If we can go back to talking about Shrek 2, I thought the last 10 minutes were the funniest I have ever seen in a movie. The scene where Puss N Boots gets caught holding a dime bag of catnip and instantly says, "That's not mine" is hysterical.

Return to Top
#193332 - 05/25/04 04:28 PM Re: Shrek 2
Anonymous
Unregistered

My two cents-I watched Popeye cartoons as a kid but as an adult, I realize how much of that humor went over my head.
I'll wait til Shrek 2 is out on video, then I'll buy it. Gotta love the donkey!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5