Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1935570 - 06/25/14 07:33 PM Home Purchase
dac Offline
100 Club
An applicant and co applicant own their home free and clear of debt, and they offer it as security for a mortgage, the proceeds will be used to purchase a home for their daughter and husband. The loan will be paid off in three months when their daughter and husband obtain a mortgage. Is this HMDA reportable?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1935577 - 06/25/14 07:42 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
yes. It's a purchase.

Return to Top
#1935634 - 06/25/14 11:09 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
I agree. This is a purchase as the collateral is an SFR and the use of proceeds will be to purchase an SFR.

Return to Top
#1935726 - 06/26/14 02:56 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
Are they gifting the money to the daughter? If so we don't report those transaction because the money that is being given to the parents is not purchasing - just an other consumer purpose loan.

Return to Top
#1935744 - 06/26/14 03:29 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
While I can see where JSD is coming from, and probably argue it with an examiner too, I think I'd stick with purchase on this.
You know what the money will be used for. Nowhere in the reg does it say that the borrower must be on title. It just says that the money will be used to purchase a dwelling.

Return to Top
#1935748 - 06/26/14 03:36 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
But i would argue that what a non-borrower does with the money is irrelevant for HMDA purposes. What the borrower is doing with the money is giving it to someone else.....not buying a home. Even if you went the flip side on this, i would argue that the loan is temporary, since the plan is to pay off the loan with long-term financing.

Return to Top
#1935756 - 06/26/14 03:42 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I agree with raitchjay on this one. Even if you know the daughter is going to buy a house, the immediate use of proceeds by mom & dad is "give $ to daughter."

Return to Top
#1935777 - 06/26/14 04:24 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Even if the money never actually goes to the daughter?
yea...I know. I'm splitting hairs.
I do like the temporary argument enough tho that I'll switch my stance to non-reportable.

Return to Top
#1935796 - 06/26/14 04:53 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I agree re temporary. If it was not temporary, I don't think the original post gives us enough info to know if the borrowers are handing the $ to their daughter or are actually purchasing the home.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1936216 - 06/27/14 05:01 PM Re: Home Purchase Kathleen O. Blanchard
Frank Ernest Offline
100 Club
Somewhere on a beach
I don't see how this is temporary. If they are actually buying the house and not just giving them the money to buy it, then it is a purchase. The length of the loan does not make it temporary and it is being paid off by the borrower, not being refinanced by the borrower. I don't see this any different than a splash and dash where they buy the home and sell it to pay it off 6 months later.

Return to Top
#1936520 - 06/27/14 11:41 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
I don't mean to disagree, I am just responding out of curiosity and to make sure I am reporting correctly.

I think you could make an argument to support either stance. I think in this case if the application stated that the purpose of the funds was to purchase another SFR, we would code it as a purchase. Even if they state it is temporary, they are still taking a mortgage out on their property for the purchase of a home. (purpose = home purchase, collateral = dweliing)

What if the daughter's funding falls through and the loan is not paid off for a couple of years? I agree with KB that we need more info to make a determination, but based on the limited information I think we would report this loan as a purchase.

We have business customers whose model is to take equity out of a home to purchase another SFR to rehab/flip them. They might stay on the books 6 months to 2 years but we code them as HMDA purchases as both properties are SFRs and the purpose is to purchase an SFR. We have been told by our regulators that these must be coded as purchases and reported under HMDA, even though the borrower pays the loan off within a short period of time.

Return to Top
#1936522 - 06/28/14 12:15 AM Re: Home Purchase dac
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
In keeping with the 'not enough info from OP', if it's set up as a temp loan, ie: 90 days vs a 30 yr fixed, then I'm going to stick with raitchjay and Kaybee on non-reportable.
If it's a regular mortgage, I'll stick with my original purchase response.

Return to Top
#1936635 - 06/30/14 04:04 PM Re: Home Purchase dac
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Thanks Truffle!

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM