Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1935957 - 06/26/14 09:23 PM Personal Checks into business accounts
BSAmic Offline
New Poster
BSAmic
Illinois
Where I've worked previously it was always a big NO-NO to deposit personal checks into a business account unless that account was a sole prop. Now I'm seeing one particular account where the customers used to write checks payable to the business and have begun making them payable to the signer himself. The checks are then deposited in the business account, not a personal account. I seem to be the only one here who has an issue with it. Can anyone site any useful articles or docs for my point?

Thanks!
Last edited by BSAmic; 06/26/14 09:24 PM.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1935999 - 06/27/14 11:32 AM Re: Personal Checks into business accounts BSAmic
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What is to cite? Call the customer and ask them why they are doing this. It might be that he dissolved the formal business entity.

It is up to the bank whether or not to accept these for deposit. Each check however should be properly endorsed over to the business entity prior to deposit.

Return to Top
#1936002 - 06/27/14 11:47 AM Re: Personal Checks into business accounts BSAmic
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
it was always a big NO-NO to deposit personal checks into a business account unless that account was a sole prop

The larger concern is when someone wants to deposit "business" checks into a personal account. It's possible to endorse a personal check over to a business entity without raising any red flags. However, it may not make a lot of sense unless a client has mistakenly issued a check to a principal rather than the entity; i.e. it should not be routine.

Return to Top
#1936041 - 06/27/14 01:36 PM Re: Personal Checks into business accounts BSAmic
BSAmic Offline
New Poster
BSAmic
Illinois
Thank you both for the input. I believe we will reach out for further explanation. I appreciate the help!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z