Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1937532 - 07/02/14 08:14 PM Bullying policy
F&MB Offline
New Poster
Has anyone placed a section on being bullied in the workplace? I was thinking of adding it to our antiharassement section of the Employee Handbook.

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1937536 - 07/02/14 08:19 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Really? You need a policy for that. Why don't you just fire someone that is a bully for unable to work well with others????

Return to Top
#1937559 - 07/02/14 08:55 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
^ Exactly. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

Return to Top
#1937574 - 07/02/14 09:30 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
This is the most interesting forum, hands down. From an article Top 10 Essentials to Include in an Employee Handbook:

Workplace Bullying. Workplace bullying involves repeated unreasonable acts toward an employee, either by a peer or supervisor, intended to humiliate or undermine the employee, and creating a risk to his or her health. Workplace bullying is not yet illegal, but employers have significant incentives to prevent it. The costs of bullying to an employer include training new employees to replace employees who leave as a result of bullying; decreased productivity as employees cope with bullying incidents; and harm to an employer’s reputation. Employers should include in their employee handbooks a zero tolerance, anti-bullying policy as part of their commitment to a safe and healthy work environment. Such policies should include a process for reporting bullying, as well as responding to and investigating complaints of bullying.

It never occurred to me to have a policy on this, but I distinctly remember offering to beat the [censored] out of a supervisor who was brilliant, but in the midst of a mean hangover most of the time...

A Google search on - bullying and employee handbook- yields 164,000 hits.

Return to Top
#1937581 - 07/02/14 10:05 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
Sometimes it's a member of sr. management doing the bullying.

Return to Top
#1937585 - 07/02/14 10:19 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sometimes it's a member of sr. management doing the bullying.

In some situations IMHO:

To some of us older folks, I think that is called managing.

To some of the younger crowd, they think it is bullying. However, repeated requests to do your job is not in the bullying category.

Return to Top
#1937594 - 07/03/14 02:01 AM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I can think of some managers who were just bullies...outride, rude nasty bullies.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1937602 - 07/03/14 12:06 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Oh I agree and my comment was of course tongue in cheek.

However, HR policy or not, such policies are usually never enforced regarding Sr. Management, especially at smaller, family owned banks.

Return to Top
#1937692 - 07/03/14 02:48 PM Re: Bullying policy rlcarey
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
However, repeated requests to do your job is not in the bullying category.

I'm going to hold on to this and use it in the future, you certainly nailed this one.

Return to Top
#1937702 - 07/03/14 03:03 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
We would lump that in with workplace violence, as it covers verbal and physical aspects. Would we enforce it? Depends on who it is wink

I think the only bullies we have here are in senior management, so likely no.

Return to Top
#1937757 - 07/03/14 04:21 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
tango Offline
100 Club
Maybe it's just me, but I really hate when the word "bully" is used in reference to adult behavior. It is such an overused word today. I think "harassment" is so much more appropriate.

Return to Top
#1937800 - 07/03/14 05:26 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I don't think the words are interchangeable, tango. There are definitely people in the workplace who bully others around be it from a place of superiority in title or just in their own minds. Harassment is picking on someone for a particular attribute they have. Not the same thing, imho, at all.

Return to Top
#1937809 - 07/03/14 05:34 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I think bullying is a type of harassment. I would put any bullying language in a larger harassment policy.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1937857 - 07/03/14 06:35 PM Re: Bullying policy manimal
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
bul·ly1 /ˈbʊli/ Show Spelled [bool-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural bul·lies.
1. a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people.

Quote:
ha·rass·ment/həˈræsmənt, ˈhærəsmənt/ Show Spelled [huh-ras-muhnt, har-uhs-muhnt] Show IPA
noun
the act or an instance of harassing, or disturbing, pestering, or troubling repeatedly; persecution:

sounds fairly imnterchangable to me. bottom line, be prepared to address either/both if it happens, or be ready to pay the penalties from a lawsuit

Return to Top
#1950694 - 08/08/14 01:52 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
I suggested HR adopt a bullying policy and they said they don't focus on negative, they focus on rewarding employees who are postive, well liked, and do a good job. These are all subjective evaluations in my book, because it seems in many cases Sr mangement's "positives" are their friends who they've hired, go to lunch with, leaving others behind and disconnected. In the 80's we called it preferential treatment.

Return to Top
#1951293 - 08/08/14 09:40 PM Re: Bullying policy F&MB
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Does HR also hand out participation ribbons too? Good grief - if they don't want to focus on negative situations they need to get out of HR....

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry