Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1937542 - 07/02/14 08:32 PM Denial Reasons - No longer reporting
Serendipity Offline
100 Club
If the bank previously reported Denial Reasons in past years, which is optional reporting, can we switch to no longer reporting it for 2014 loans?

Is there anything we need to do/keep in mind if we choose to no longer report them?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1937611 - 07/03/14 12:34 PM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
Don't forget that is on the proposed list of changes to Reg C/HMDA that everyone will be required to report the denial reasons.

Return to Top
#1937671 - 07/03/14 02:32 PM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
They compare your last year's LAR to the current one so be ready with an answer in case you're asked why you stopped reporting denial reasons. In light of the changes looming on the horizon, I wouldn't stop reporting this item. You're only going to have to retrain people to do it again in another year or two.

Return to Top
#1937958 - 07/03/14 11:22 PM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Agreed. We collect them on every HMDA reportable loan, we just don't report them....... yet

Return to Top
#1937971 - 07/04/14 01:14 PM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
I would not report them.

If you report them and they are wrong, you have an error. If you collect the denial reasons and not report them, you know the information for analytical purposes, but cannot get tagged with a mistake. For proposed changes, you are ready, just not sending it along to big brother. And as an response - it's optional and a decision was made not to report. Why - one less field to worry about.

Return to Top
#1937976 - 07/04/14 11:37 PM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
My answer was based on the fact that they are already reporting the denial reasons. Why stop now? You've got the training in place. I'd work on a good scrub and keep personnel trained so I don't have to reinvent the wheel in another year or so. And this is from the woman who took the opportunity to not geocode everything because I only have one MSA. But my people weren't trained to do it so I just kept the status quo, not changed it knowing I'd have to change it back again. That's jmho based on the years I've been doing this and how hard it is to train staff appropriately.

Return to Top
#1937985 - 07/05/14 10:47 PM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
If you are intending to conduct a Fair Lending Risk Assessment (which is strongly advised given that regulators are expecting banks to be monitoring their Fair Lending risk) you not only should be collecting the reasons for denial, you should be collecting and compiling credit score, LTD, DTI, etc. so you can conduct an automated Fair Lending Risk Assessment. The time is coming when it will be mandatory, but even now examiners are expecting a risk assessment to be conducted and it is impossible without knowing and maintaining the reasons for denial. So my advice is don't stop collecting and reporting the reasons for denial.

Return to Top
#1937986 - 07/05/14 11:00 PM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I am glad someone besides me has said that this type of data (including Geocoding) is needed for lending assessments, even if you are not required to collect for HMDA because of location, etc.

You can't defend the bank without the data.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1937994 - 07/07/14 02:41 AM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
smile @ geocoding, Kaybee

Return to Top
#1938067 - 07/07/14 03:31 PM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
Serendipity Offline
100 Club
We would not stop collecting and will most likely continue to report. It is a matter of getting the reasons for denial to match up with the statement of denial at this point, since there are 2 separate entry points in our current LOS for the form and HMDA data collection.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Return to Top
#1938700 - 07/08/14 09:00 PM Re: Denial Reasons - No longer reporting Serendipity
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
We collect all of that information and use it four fair lending assessments... we just dont report the denial reasons.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM