Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1933618 - 06/18/14 03:50 PM Risk Management Committee
sjlee Offline
100 Club
Oklahoma
I have been blessed with the task of heading the Risk Management Committee for our bank. This committee is new. I have been reading about risk management and it is a little overwhelming when dealing with it on a bank wide level.

I'm struggling with a starting place and was hopeing for some suggestions.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to Dance in the rain." - Unknown

Return to Top
Risk Management
#1933673 - 06/18/14 05:04 PM Re: Risk Management Committee sjlee
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
First start with a charter as to the purpose and structure of the committee.

Return to Top
#1933689 - 06/18/14 05:43 PM Re: Risk Management Committee sjlee
sjlee Offline
100 Club
Oklahoma
I was told the committee is in charge of overseeing the bank's risk as a whole and will report to the board.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to Dance in the rain." - Unknown

Return to Top
#1933718 - 06/18/14 06:40 PM Re: Risk Management Committee sjlee
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Have the risk committee players been identified? If they have, set up an initial meeting and have a high level meeting. This will be a work in process, not completed overnight.
Last edited by osucpa; 06/18/14 06:41 PM.
Return to Top
#1933815 - 06/18/14 08:24 PM Re: Risk Management Committee sjlee
deeb Offline
MI
You will want the committee to consist of department that oversee the risk: fraud (losses), credit (loan), financial, regulatory, complaints (reputational risk), etc

CAMS, CRCM

Return to Top
#1935029 - 06/24/14 02:10 PM Re: Risk Management Committee sjlee
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: carotop3
I was told the committee is in charge of overseeing the bank's risk as a whole and will report to the board.

that's pretty broad...for instance, if the bank forgets to pay its electric bill, there is a risk you will be without power. If 5 people in a branch of 6 call in, you have issues opening the branch. Are the the type of risks you are talking about?

Start with the charter, as suggested, and define the types of risk you will be looking at...fraud, access, DDoS attacks, account takeovers, credit, wire, loss prevention to name a few.

Return to Top
#1936131 - 06/27/14 03:36 PM Re: Risk Management Committee HappyGilmore
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
The idea for the Committee should be to monitor the risks (established by the Board) and report to the board when those risks are no longer within the tolerances (also established by the board). You need to have the head of each department involved. They will be the ones responsible for actually managing the risk and maintaining the controls. The Committee will meet to ensure the risks are being properly managed and ensure mitigation plans are created and reported to the Board when they are not.

Return to Top
#1936695 - 06/30/14 06:18 PM Re: Risk Management Committee sjlee
Karen L Offline
100 Club
Somewhere over the rainbow...
We are also starting an official Enterprise Risk Management group to assess the different areas of the bank from compliance, operations, BSA, credit, HR, sales/customer retention, IT, finance/ALLL. If you google there are really great articles out there, but I am also struggling to find out what to identify. I would be interested in hearing your thougths on the areas of operations and BSA - those are mine.
PM me if you like I would be happy to share some resources I have gathered so far.

Return to Top
#1937634 - 07/03/14 01:23 PM Re: Risk Management Committee sjlee
A_G Offline
10K Club
Does a member from audit sit on anyone's committee?

(albeit, in probably an advisory role)

Return to Top
#1937846 - 07/03/14 06:20 PM Re: Risk Management Committee A_G
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
Our SVP, Chief Internal Auditor is a member of our bank's Risk Committee.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z