Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1937281 - 07/02/14 02:39 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions Retired DQ
A_G Offline
10K Club
wiki wiki wiki wikipedia...

Mentha pulegium, commonly (European) pennyroyal, also called squaw mint, mosquito plant[1] and pudding grass,[2] is a species of flowering plant in the family Lamiaceae. Crushed pennyroyal leaves exhibit a very strong fragrance similar to spearmint. Pennyroyal is a traditional culinary herb, folk remedy, and abortifacient. The essential oil of pennyroyal is used in aromatherapy, and is also high in pulegone, a highly toxic volatile organic compound affecting liver and uterine function.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1937522 - 07/02/14 08:03 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Ed, I hope you do realize that ruling did not prevent people for paying for the four drugs on their own. The ruling also did not prevent closely held corporations from offering plans that allow the 4 types of drugs listed. The ruling simply removed the REQUIREMENT that closely held corporations ONLY provide health insurance plans that have all 20 drugs.

To be honest this is the way the law should read for all companies. Whether you are in support of the 4 drugs in question or not, allowing competition amongst health insurance plans that have the flexibility to offer prescription services that the consumer decides upon is in all of our best interests.

Capitalization added to allow for emphasis.

Return to Top
#1937524 - 07/02/14 08:04 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions Xian Ngyuen
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: EdSpenser
From Justice Ginsburg's dissent : "Religious organizations exist to foster the interests of persons subscribing to the same religious faith. Not so of for-profit corporations. Workers who sustain the operations of those corporations commonly are not drawn from one religious community."

quoting Ginsberg is not going to make you seem objective.

Return to Top
#1938045 - 07/07/14 02:55 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Saw a great quote this weekend:

Hysterically demanding that the government force people to pay for your birth control doesn't exactly say "strong, independent woman."

Return to Top
#1938071 - 07/07/14 03:36 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Boy did this become a hot topic! A little bit of push back regarding the difference between birth control and abortifacient and people start going berserk!

But the thing that's driving me most insane is the lack of respect for other's opinions. Used to be people would say, 'I don't believe in (x) but I respect your right to your belief.' Not anymore. It's 'my way is right and you're wrong and stupid and don't deserve to exist'. I truly believe this is the handbasket that's carrying society to he//.

Return to Top
#1938076 - 07/07/14 03:46 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I read several articles this weekend like this one:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118547/facts-about-birth-control-and-hobby-lobby-ob-gyn

Not arguing one way or another, but puts all the "what is an IUD?" posts above in perspective.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1938080 - 07/07/14 04:12 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale

But the thing that's driving me most insane is the lack of respect for other's opinions. Used to be people would say, 'I don't believe in (x) but I respect your right to your belief.' Not anymore. It's 'my way is right and you're wrong and stupid and don't deserve to exist'. I truly believe this is the handbasket that's carrying society to he//.

I could not agree more.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938085 - 07/07/14 04:26 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions edAudit
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

I could not agree more.

And it comes from both sides of whatever the argument du jour happens to be.

Return to Top
#1938090 - 07/07/14 04:35 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
That is true

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938091 - 07/07/14 04:38 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions Pale Rider
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
I havent read the ruling, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just the company's justification in THIS case? The precedent has been set, so all they or any other company would have to do is claim religious opposition to any other form of birth control. Or psychiatric drugs. Or blood transfusions. Or just about anything.

Is it possible to be against the ACA mandate AND this ruling? because i think that's what i'm leaning towards...

Alito and the other four concurring justices made short work of the above argument. According to the Supreme Court:

This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to hold that all insurance-coverage mandates, e.g., for vaccinations or blood transfusions, must necessarily fall if they conflict with an employer’s religious beliefs. Nor does it provide a shield for employers who might cloak illegal discrimination as a religious practice.

So..only mainstream christian religious objections matter?

Return to Top
#1938097 - 07/07/14 04:43 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Where did the SC say that S.Man?

How would you define "mainstream" Christianity?

Return to Top
#1938101 - 07/07/14 04:48 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
When did "tolerance," "open-minded" and other feel-good terms come to mean that if you choose not to monetarily support something, and the Supreme Court agrees that you should not have to monetarily support it, you are a hate-monger who is trying to eradicate all opposition to your own opinions?

Return to Top
#1938102 - 07/07/14 04:49 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

Anything the other-side does not like.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938103 - 07/07/14 04:53 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions GuitarDude
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
When did "tolerance," "open-minded" and other feel-good terms come to mean that if you choose not to monetarily support something, and the Supreme Court agrees that you should not have to monetarily support it, you are a hate-monger who is trying to eradicate all opposition to your own opinions?
That would be the exponential of my 'I'm right/you're stupid' comment above, GD. The world is driven by absolutes now, not tolerance of our differences.

Return to Top
#1938104 - 07/07/14 04:55 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions GuitarDude
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938105 - 07/07/14 04:56 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions Pale Rider
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas

I'm saying that if this religious objection is allowed, then others (vaccines, transfustions, psychological drugs) must either also be allowed, or not. You can disagree with Jehovah's witnesses objection against transfusions, but i think it's reasonable to conclude that they are sincere.

If those aren't, then why? what's the criteria to determine whether a religious objection is valid? That's the precedent that concerns me.

Return to Top
#1938110 - 07/07/14 05:09 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
My interpretation is that this ruling was narrow it your group (not yours personally) does not agree with something bring it up and they may decide.

As for the Jehovah Witness, they are not required to take transfusions since 1931

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witnesses_and_blood_transfusions

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938130 - 07/07/14 05:39 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions #Just Jay
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: #Just Jay
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

I could not agree more.

smirk

Return to Top
#1938132 - 07/07/14 05:40 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions #Just Jay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: #Just Jay

how true...and all the more reason for people who vote to do their own research regarding facts instead of relying on the media to provide their talking points for them. Because all media is biased in their reporting - some are just less obvious about it than others.

Return to Top
#1938136 - 07/07/14 05:46 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

I'm saying that if this religious objection is allowed, then others (vaccines, transfustions, psychological drugs) must either also be allowed, or not. You can disagree with Jehovah's witnesses objection against transfusions, but i think it's reasonable to conclude that they are sincere.

If those aren't, then why? what's the criteria to determine whether a religious objection is valid? That's the precedent that concerns me.

How would the precedent concern you exactly?

Were you at all concerned when the Federal Government decided it could tax a behavior or force someone into a market place that they did not want to engage in?

Return to Top
#1938174 - 07/07/14 06:17 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions Sound Tactic
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic

How would the precedent concern you exactly?

Were you at all concerned when the Federal Government decided it could tax a behavior or force someone into a market place that they did not want to engage in?

yes. i was/am actually against the mandate. But this is the wrong way to "attack" the law.

I'm basically against religious exemptions in the first place. Think what they may give in religious freedom they more than take away from the establishment clause. Like, you know how every spring there's a story about some school banning prayers at the graduation? To me the issue is treating different religions differently. So, pray all you want, but since it's a government event, if a muslim or buddhist or even scientologist wants to do the same you have to let them. Otherwise you're choosing one over the other.

So, i dont think the law should be. But since it is the law, there shouldn't be these exemptions.

Return to Top
#1938179 - 07/07/14 06:55 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
So, i dont think the law should be. But since it is the law, there shouldn't be these exemptions.

well, no one is saying that the women can't purchase their own medicines outside of company provided insurance, just that the company doesn't have to cover these 4 specific ones. Nothing prevents them from picking up a secondary policy that covers these items only (a smart insurance guy would start marketing that plan). And the ruling covers only these 4 items, nothing else.

All the speculation and what-ifs are just that...meant to create fear among people. And it certainly appears to be working.

Return to Top
#1938181 - 07/07/14 06:59 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Well, Bill Clinton signed into law in the first 50 days of his Presidency the Religious Freedom Restoration Act in 1993. It was almost unanimous in the Senate, a body composed of a majority of Democrats at the time. It is law too.

As far as the argument that the SC is made up of "mainstream" Christians that favor their religious bent, there are a couple of cases to consider.

The first is Gonzales v. O Centro EspĂ­rita Beneficente Uniăo do Vegetal, a 2006 ruling in which the court sustained a RFRA claim brought by "a Christian spiritist sect based in Brazil." The vote was 8-0.

The other case is Hobby Lobby. The owners of the companies that brought that suit are a family of fundamental evangelicals. In the companion case, Conestoga Wood Specialties v. Burwell, the company seeking to vindicate its religious liberty is owned by Mennonites. The court has six Catholic justices.

As the majority emphasized, Hobby Lobby deals with contraception only.

Return to Top
#1938186 - 07/07/14 07:11 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
But is it not true that the Affordable Health Care act only a law because it it a tax?

Could they not sue based upon taxation of religious expression and win anyway (and cause a bigger issue)?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938212 - 07/07/14 07:58 PM Re: Supreme court rules for corporations, non-unions HappyGilmore
Ric30 Offline
100 Club
IN
I'm afraid that no one talks about the real issue here. Where is the outrage that I, and all other men like me, must pay for our condoms? Shouldn't insurance cover my reproductive needs, too?

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6